Reamping via aux send with Scarlett 18i20? Need to use Scarlett Mixcontrol?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I use Studio One 3. I tried asking for help over there but so far it seems to me my problem is Focusrite related. Let me tell you my process.

I added a mono output in my I/O settings. This output is Line 3 on my Scarlett. It is named Sub1 in Studio One. I told my DI guitar track to go out to Sub 1. I turned on the outputs on the left side of the mixer in Studio One. I took a 1/4'' cable from Line 3 aka Sub 1 to a guitar pedal, and then another from that pedal into input 2 in my Scarlett. I armed a new track to record from input 2 and it gets no signal at all.

Now, this could be because I don't have a reamp box, but other strange things are happening. I went straight from the guitar pedal into the amp with that guitar track solo'd and also got no sound at all. Yet, when I unsolo'd that guitar track the whole master mix (i.e. the mix that is going out of my main i.e. outs 1+2) could actually be heard coming out of the amp if I turned the volume up about halfway.

Anyone got any ideas? Sorry if this is the wrong forum, feel free to move it.

EDIT:

Let this be a lesson to other folks about reamp boxes ;)

So when I went directly from output three into the amp, bypassing my pedal altogether, I got signal--and a decent sounding one, too. Definitely a bit too hot given that it's line and all, but it sounds good coming out of the amp.

It was when I introduced the guitar pedal (an EHX small stone phaser) into the chain that I had those problems from earlier.

I haven't actually reamped the signal yet because it's late at night and I don't want to disturb the roommates. There are other variables I want to test for like maybe the quarter inch I used going into the pedal was faulty--though I doubt that because I used it earlier today to go into my amp.

Also for any curious I did have to go into Scarlett Mixcontrol and tell DAW3 to go to Line Output 3 in order to get this working.

But it's very nice because I was able to hear the whole song play in my headphones while just the guitar track was coming out of the amp. So, so sweet :thumbup:

Thanks guys for your patience. Now I'm more convinced to buy one of those boxes lol

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”