Being soundcloud famous doesn't mean s*** these days.

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just saying

It appears you can buy followers, so next time you click on some garbage SC user and see them with millions of followers, be assured they are most likely bots or something.

However with that said.. we are living in a society where kids are daring each other to eat Laundry detergent pods.. so ...

er
Last edited by V0RT3X on Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:borg:

You can easily become famous with lost of money :hihi: This is the business!
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:You can easily become famous with lost of money :hihi: This is the business!
Sadly true.

Did it ever mean anything?

"Social media" fame :roll:

AnX wrote:Did it ever mean anything?
It did not

V0RT3X wrote:It appears you can buy followers, so next time you click on some garbage SC user and see them with millions of followers, be assured they are most likely bots or something.
Over 50% of web traffic is bots.

Public figures buy followers because it works. Conformity is a powerful force; if you see a few million people following someone, that person must be worth following, right? Corporations, celebrities, and even politicians buy followers, because it works. Number of followers is a status symbol; whether they were earned the real way, or bought, they bolster the online presence of that entity. Maybe some people buy follows for the same reason they might buy gaudy rims for their car or a fancy designer shirt. Or maybe it's like earning the high score of a video game, even if it means you have to keep pumping in quarters.

Also, thousands of people are paid small amounts through crowd-sourcing platforms and offer walls to tweet certain hashtags, post in Reddit threads, sign up for sites, stream videos, sign petitions, write product reviews, paraphrase blog posts, play games, download apps, sign up for offers, visit web sites, and other things. A rather large amount of human traffic on the net is not really genuine. People with throwaway emails are paid to sign up to different services or mailing lists to boost numbers. Videos stream to powered-off monitors or minimized tabs, just so that ad companies get their "views" up. Research panels are collecting responses from "consumers" who are just rapidly clicking through mindless surveys to get paid. But all this disingenuous/automated/"shill" traffic is making someone money, or it wouldn't be a thing.

I guess my point is, this is the internet; everyone has an agenda. And a lot of the time, it's money.

I'm regularly paying someone to post for me at KVR. Looking at my post count of 934 makes me feel important, compared to the satisfaction I would get from the 14 posts that I have actually written myself.

soundcloud generates no revenue anyway - not for the artists and not even for the company. I have lost interest in uploading there. It is flattering to be liked by people whose work I also like, but I have seen none of that translate to spotify followers or other sorts of paid streaming. No matter how tiny the payments (and in my case they are very tiny indeed) they are always going to be more than soundcloud :)

ooooh, here is the spotify link https://open.spotify.com/album/7HnhYDD2kOwLg3mSl16LgI Perhaps you might be my first follower :)

yeah you gotta be youtube famous to mean anything these days...

being famous isn't hard, being appreciated by a select few for doing something well is. if you then happen to become famous because those few pass on the good vibes great, but if its a goal best be prepared for disappointment, even bands/artists which are great cant get to "fame" these days, as that's more about luck.
as for being big in a "scene" that's achieved by doing your best work and then working hard to promote it, gigging and such.

if you just crave fame, weaponise, destroy. sorted.

vurt wrote:yeah you gotta be youtube famous to mean anything these days...

being famous isn't hard, being appreciated by a select few for doing something well is. if you then happen to become famous because those few pass on the good vibes great, but if its a goal best be prepared for disappointment, even bands/artists which are great cant get to "fame" these days, as that's more about luck.
as for being big in a "scene" that's achieved by doing your best work and then working hard to promote it, gigging and such.

if you just crave fame, weaponise, destroy. sorted.
I forget where I read it, and I'm paraphrasing here, but:

"I'd rather have five people truly love my art than have five million people love my face."

It is all about luck and charisma. I used to drum for this girl who was marginally talented, but spent at least eight hours a day networking on social media, writing emails, and sucking up to the more "famous" locals. Her music isn't really that good, but she's really politically charged and is constantly putting herself out there every single day. Of course, she was born wealthy, and has a pretty face, so that certainly helps too (the whole "luck" thing comes into play in many areas). But she tours internationally, and has quite a following.

Meanwhile, I've seen some incredible talent from really shy artists who will probably never reach more than a few dozen people, because they'll spend those 8 hours a day practicing and making music, and none of it networking or sucking up to people.

Or look at someone like Deadmau5. He admits that he can't be bothered to learn how to play instruments. He clicks all his stuff into the piano roll, and it's almost cringe-inducing to watch a video of him work (nothing against sequencing, but it's just weird to see someone that famous with such little actual knowledge of music). But he knows what people want to hear, so that's what he gives them. He has identified the market demand, and focuses on supplying the product rather than developing his musicianship. And he is probably way better off for it, at least financially.

Cassetteboy is a great example of this. He/they have been working since the early 00s, but only became famous/viral when Youtube entered the equation.

If anything, the work loses something when you can visually see the cuts. It's arguably stronger when there's only audio. But... people like having something to zone out their eyes on. IMO visuals are de facto priveleged over audio for most people.

funky lime wrote:Or look at someone like Deadmau5. He admits that he can't be bothered to learn how to play instruments. He clicks all his stuff into the piano roll, and it's almost cringe-inducing to watch a video of him work (nothing against sequencing, but it's just weird to see someone that famous with such little actual knowledge of music).
I've watched him, too. I was embarrassed for him. :lol:

cron wrote:
Cassetteboy is a great example of this. He/they have been working since the early 00s, but only became famous/viral when Youtube entered the equation.

If anything, the work loses something when you can visually see the cuts. It's arguably stronger when there's only audio. But... people like having something to zone out their eyes on. IMO visuals are de facto priveleged over audio for most people.
i watch a lot of gear related channels, its nice to see new stuff that's coming and i can totally see the point of this.
what i don't understand is how these gear reviewers then have fans, who will pay to see them do live gear reviews? wtaf? (my only experience of this really has been the "that pedal show" "riff city" minnesota opening night, where people actually travelled from all over the usa to see two guys talk about pedals.)
i guess im just a little too old for this stuff.

btw, im not knocking "that pedal show"
i enjoy the videos, they have introduced me to some bits id not seen, and dan knows his shit!

AnX wrote:Did it ever mean anything?

"Social media" fame :roll:
To those that care :borg:
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”