Another company goes 64-bit only

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can a 32-bit DAW do 64-bit internal audio processing? If not, then it is in discussion indeed.

chk071 wrote:Can a 32-bit DAW do 64-bit internal audio processing?
It can do up to 80bit internal processing (7.1 here - https://www.image-line.com/support/FLHe ... _audio.htm )

Ok, then i don't see the relation to the topic either, to be honest. :)

mcbpete wrote:
chk071 wrote:Can a 32-bit DAW do 64-bit internal audio processing?
It can do up to 80bit internal processing
Actually a DAW could do 'up to' as many bits as you want. Just not necessarily as fast as the native processor's data word sizes would allow it to....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... c_software
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
gas pump wrote:It's only a matter of months to a year or two before they all do.
Unlikely. 13 years into the availability of 64-bit DAWs, the number of companies producing -only- 64-bit plugins hasnt even reached double figures.
Just like the lights went out on 16 bit operating systems, it's only inevitable for 32 bit systems.
It's all about when, not if.

And if the current marketplace continues these extreme pricing wars, it may be sooner then later. Because the first employee to get cut on the payroll is the "old school" guy.

To be honest I'm surprised we haven't seen more developers drop 32 bit support especially the smaller one or two man operations. One less format to support along with Win 64, Mac Au etc.

I suppose developers weigh the pros and cons of dropping 32 bit support. Possible lost sales versus the cost in manpower to maintain and support the 32 bit versions of their software.

If a company decides to go 64 bit only I assume that decision was not made lightly but after careful consideration as to what impact that will have on the bottom line....
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Are there also bridges for 64 to 32 bit? Inverted JBridge so to speak 8)

I have no idea if you can bridge a 64 bit plugin to work on a 32 bit system. I've never had a need for such a bridge however my gut feeling is it wouldn't work but I've been wrong (many times) before.

If there is a such a bridge I guess that makes the whole argument pointless...... :?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

fluffy_little_something wrote:Are there also bridges for 64 to 32 bit? Inverted JBridge so to speak 8)
That's how you have to use it with BIAB. PG Music in 2018 still releases their products in 32 bit only. They sell you JBridge for $10.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Are there also bridges for 64 to 32 bit? Inverted JBridge so to speak 8)
jbridge has done this for as long as its existed. The only caveat is that you have to be running a 64-bit OS.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Teksonik wrote:I have no idea if you can bridge a 64 bit plugin to work on a 32 bit system. I've never had a need for such a bridge however my gut feeling is it wouldn't work but I've been wrong (many times) before.

If there is a such a bridge I guess that makes the whole argument pointless...... :?
I've not tried it that way round (have only used jBridge for 32bit plugins in a 64bit DAW) but according to the site blurb for JBridge:
Using inter-process communication mechanisms, it aims to make it possible to run 32bit plugins in 64bit hosts, 64bit plugins in 32bit hosts, or even bridging 32bit plugins to 32bit hosts, allowing to overcome the memory limitations of a single 32bit process, in this last case.

Cool. Never used JBridge so I though it was only for 32 -> 64 bit.
Most people use a 64-bit OS by now anyway, right? So, theoretically people can use and combine whatever hosts and plugins they want. Assuming JBridge works flawlessly...

Last edited by Andrew Souter on Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mcbpete wrote:
Using inter-process communication mechanisms, it aims to make it possible to run 32bit plugins in 64bit hosts, 64bit plugins in 32bit hosts, or even bridging 32bit plugins to 32bit hosts, allowing to overcome the memory limitations of a single 32bit process, in this last case.
Yet......
whyterabbyt wrote: jbridge has done this for as long as its existed. The only caveat is that you have to be running a 64-bit OS.
So can you run a 64 bit plugin on a 32 bit OS ?

I imagine those who are still using only 32 bit plugins also have a 32 bit OS.
Teksonik wrote:I have no idea if you can bridge a 64 bit plugin to work on a 32 bit system.

Teksonik wrote:I imagine those who are still using only 32 bit plugins also have a 32 bit OS.
At this stage, I'd say most people using 32-bit plugins are "stuck" using them because they were never updated to 64-bit and they either don't want to look for alternatives or just prefer to stick with them.
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Effects”