Halion Sale

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
HALion 7 HALion Sonic 7 Collection

You DON'T need a dongle to use Halion. It's 100% optional.

The Steinberg shop clearly states it when a dongle is required.

Dasheesh wrote:Well, they didn’t put requirements at the end of the page OR on the buy page so I don’t trust it. I have no idea what I’m getting myself into. Just be aware as a heads up. If you are willing to go there then have fun. I’m not.

I brought up the dongle - sorry for the confusion.
I have to use it to run Halion 6, because I bought Halion 6 as part of Absolute 3 (Absolute is a larger collection that includes Hal 6).

It does state it clearly that you need a dongle to run Absolute 3:
https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/v ... loads.html

"....The USB-eLicenser required to run this product is not included. Customers who do not own an USB-eLicenser must purchase one separately. The same USB-eLicenser copy protection device is then used for all Steinberg products that require it..."

How does the granular in HaLion 6 compare with padshop pro?
Edit: Oops didn't see the thread that addresses this question.

How is the UI of Halion compare with the UI of Falcon?

What...is your favorite colour?

:)
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

CrystalWizard wrote:How is the UI of Halion compare with the UI of Falcon?
The Halion 6 UI can be slightly confusing at first but it's extremely flexible. It's one of my favorite things about Halion.

Everything can be docked or undocked, made into a separate window or a tab, and you can save each window or the whole plugin interface as presets. You can have multiple windows open showing multiple different docked elements of the interface. Each docked element can have as many tabs as you want...

So basically you can optimize the interface to speed up any task, and switch between these customizations easily with a single click. It's even possible to make the interface simpler than Halion Sonic while using it as a rompler.

Falcon's UI is also pretty good in its own way, but Halion is definitely faster for a lot of things.

Still not sure bout HALion but re: the GUI. I like the configuration options and the pop up tips are really good from what I've seen so far. Unfortunately there is a major glitch for me in FLStudio whereby the UI becomes completely unresponsive. On the plus side I can close it and reopen the UI to get it responding again but it is an extremely frequent and annoying bug. Plus there is the typical FLS glitched UI but as that occurs on multiple plugins I'll put that one on FLStudio.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

CrystalWizard wrote:What...is your favorite colour?

Pantone Matching System #322

I bought H6 last night. The wavetable features were just too tempting.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

CrystalWizard wrote:What...is your favorite colour?
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

I'm having a GUI problem with HALion 6 in Windows 10 Home. Apparently, it's known problem, but I tried everything listed in Steinberg forum, including a change in the Registry, without success.

In another machine, in Windows 7, I never experienced this problem. Graphics are OK., and everything else in the computer is working OK too.

The problem causes that all the buttons in the main area of the GUI, which give access to the several windows, have no label at all.

Does anyone in here have a solution for this, besides the changing in the Registry? I already downloaded and installed all the updates, including the 6.1
Last edited by fmr on Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

can you provide a link for where you think this is a known issue?
EDIT: never mind, found it.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

I'm glad I bought Halion because I am not exactly a preset guy - in that case Halionsonic would have been enough. The default interface feels a bit cluttered, but, seen everyhting that has to be on it, this is understandable, and later on, tweaking can and will happen.
It's really great for tweaking, and as a Cubase user, basic use is not that difficult, but I constantly have the idea I still miss a lot, that there's a lot more to be done with it.

And this brings me to its weakest point: there are as good as no tutorials series on it. Not even for the beginner. Let alone for the intermediate user. All I found is a short (but good) introduction over at groove3. And some various topics by Simon Stockhausen, Mike Smith and a few others.
Which brings me to reading the friendly manual. 550 pages, and written by engineers for engineers. And not even a quickstart guide for the artistic folk. That is not good. Not good at all!
Windows 7, Cubase 9.5 and some extra plug-ins | Takamine EN-10C and PRS Mira

I tried to like it but the UI is just too cluttered. It looks fine on some pictures and videos but it's even more cluttered than Kontakt. And I like complicated UIs normally.

Time stretching seems pretty weak unfortunately (I only see the music and solo algos, did I miss something?), The wavetable stuff really great of course. I like the concept, I like the docking, but it's just too cluttered for me to have fun with it.

Hope it's evolving to be better usable. Could be better than Kontakt with some enhancements!

You can literally change whatever you like on the interface. The way you see it is called a screenset, and there are several of these screensets already available. You find them on a dropdown when you click the screenset icon. This is located below the name Halion6 at the left, the second one of the three icons right to the Startup box. IUt's from there that you can save and load your own.

If you want to tweak, you don't need the media bay etc, so you can close it. etc etc.
Windows 7, Cubase 9.5 and some extra plug-ins | Takamine EN-10C and PRS Mira

I don't meant that with cluttered. The docking is great. I mean more the pages, the order from the elements and the navigation between them feels not very elegant for me.

Also, when you use it as a vst2 plugin in a different host it seems that you can't resize the main window at all. At least I did not find a way.

fmr wrote:I'm having a GUI problem with HALion 6 in Windows 10 Home. Apparently, it's known problem, but I tried everything listed in Steinberg forum, including a change in the Registry, without success.

In another machine, in Windows 7, I never experienced this problem. Graphics are OK., and everything else in the computer is working OK too.

The problem causes that all the buttons in the main area of the GUI, which give access to the several windows, have no label at all.

Does anyone in here have a solution for this, besides the changing in the Registry? I already downloaded and installed all the updates, including the 6.1
To whom it may concern, I managed to solve the problem today. I leave here a report since this can be useful to someone.

HALion already had three updates: 6.010, 6.015 and 6.1.

When I installed it yesterday, I just used the main installation and the last update, assuming (wrongly) that it would surpersede the others.

Today, since I was coming to a point where it would be impossible to use HALion the way it was, I decided to uninstall everything and start over, this way installin ALL the updates, by the order they came out. Therefore, I started with the main installer, and then installed 6.010 and 6.015. IT WORKED

HALion GUi is now showing everything they way it should. I didn't install 6.1 since I fear it will screw things, but I will eventually. Anyway, for those that are in Windows 10, DO NOT jump over updates. Install ALL the updates that came out, especially 6.010, which seems to be the one containing the solution to the GUI problem.
Fernando (FMR)

CrystalWizard wrote:How does the granular in HaLion 6 compare with padshop pro?
Edit: Oops didn't see the thread that addresses this question.

How is the UI of Halion compare with the UI of Falcon?

What...is your favorite colour?

Thanks for the great answers. The favorite colour question was a reference to MPandtheHG.
Halion 6 is looking interesting, maybe less convoluted the Falcon but slightly less deep.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Return to “Instruments”