Synths you regret buying

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mutantdog wrote:No doubt it's been mentioned already but I'd say TheMangle. Bought in good faith during its beta-phase only for it to become abandonware and the dev to go AWOL. I've never actually used it beyond tinkering around for the odd 10 minutes.
but what's wrong with it though? I bought it during the same time period and still use it for certain atmospheres and fx, haven't had any problems or glitches with its features. At least not as of yet. Thought it to be a pretty amazing tool for it being so dirt cheap.

Ridan wrote:
mutantdog wrote:No doubt it's been mentioned already but I'd say TheMangle. Bought in good faith during its beta-phase only for it to become abandonware and the dev to go AWOL. I've never actually used it beyond tinkering around for the odd 10 minutes.
but what's wrong with it though? I bought it during the same time period and still use it for certain atmospheres and fx, haven't had any problems or glitches with its features. At least not as of yet. Thought it to be a pretty amazing tool for it being so dirt cheap.
Yeah, while there's no support and it's basically been abandoned, I still use it and love it and have no problems with it. It's still one of the best granular synths out there. In fact, it has a more powerful engine than Padshop Pro by miles.

Nothing wrong with it as such, for £20 (or whatever it cost) i can't really complain about the quality. It's more about the way it went from beta to abandoned that annoys me.

wagtunes wrote:
Ridan wrote:
Yeah, while there's no support and it's basically been abandoned, I still use it and love it and have no problems with it. It's still one of the best granular synths out there. In fact, it has a more powerful engine than Padshop Pro by miles.
+1

Steinberg PadShop Pro...I never clicked with it! There are better alternatives out there sound and possibility wise. And considering its extremely complicated to sell the license, better avoid it overall.

Zexila wrote:As title suggest. :tu:
With a little thinking, all of them actually. I've spent thousands on vst synths and you can add more if FX are counted too.

Though they've taught me ALOT, I've used some of them ALOT and they can do alot.. Sorry, ALOT.

Still, if I had the knowledge I have now, I wouldn't buy a single vsti (okay maybe synthmaster but nothing else).

I'd buy few carefully selected FX, analog polysynth and -monosynth and something digital, maybe Blofeld or Virus.

That'd be all I needed. If I could (i.e. if some weren't NFR), I'd sell all my vst synths and buy those hardware thingys I just mentioned.

HcDoom wrote:Steinberg PadShop Pro...I never clicked with it! There are better alternatives out there sound and possibility wise. And considering its extremely complicated to sell the license, better avoid it overall.
On the other hand, granular synths are pretty rare, and Padshop Pro really seems like the most intuitive option for me... i got the "normal" Padshop free in Cubase Artist, and upgrade to Pro for 10 €. I think i really can't complain about that. Haven't really used it much, but, seemed straight forward, and good sounding enough to me.

Padshop is excellent.

Wusik workstation thingy.
never seen such a hunk of junk

Sampletank 3
Dimension Pro
Rapture Pro

Every synth app for my iPad.

werp wrote:elektron stuff. the analog drive which is a huge, noisy heap of crap plus the octatrack and rytm. The last two work in ways that my brain just can’t deal with. as for the pedal, the reviewers failed to mention how noisy the damn thing is with the gain turned up a bit. I still have all three... :-(
Didn't know the Analog Drive was that noisy.

Re the Elektron stuff. I'm having this really weird bipolar relationship with them. Sometimes I love them to bits and sometimes I'm just annoyed by them, so they never get traded out of my studio. Right now I am back in love with the Octatrack and started eyeing buying a second one :dog: :lol:

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

All of them, every single vsti. They all have So many problem (just watch KVR) i can't make anything (music or sound designs) with them. :hihi:
Kidding, i like them all, i only dumped one softsynth since 2002. Some have come and gone but not puposely.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Distorted Horizon wrote:
Zexila wrote:As title suggest. :tu:
With a little thinking, all of them actually. I've spent thousands on vst synths and you can add more if FX are counted too.

Though they've taught me ALOT, I've used some of them ALOT and they can do alot.. Sorry, ALOT.

Still, if I had the knowledge I have now, I wouldn't buy a single vsti (okay maybe synthmaster but nothing else).

I'd buy few carefully selected FX, analog polysynth and -monosynth and something digital, maybe Blofeld or Virus.

That'd be all I needed. If I could (i.e. if some weren't NFR), I'd sell all my vst synths and buy those hardware thingys I just mentioned.
This. Except i'd replace Synthmaster with Zebra and Dagger (and no hardware...at least for a while).

i've gotten plenty of use out of many of these, and, as far as i'm concerned, they're fantastic instruments (except the CS-80v), but seriously...don't need them and never really did. They are:

TAL Bassline
Arturia CS-80v
u-he Bazille
Madrona Labs Aalto
Gforce Oddity
XILS 3

i'm still on the fence about Hive, Repro and Massive...
Last edited by voidhead23 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HIVE is far more versatile and multidimensional than recognized by most users. To play with it was really a positive surprise for me...

martinjuenke wrote:HIVE is far more versatile and multidimensional than recognized by most users. To play with it was really a positive surprise for me...
Yup!

Return to “Instruments”