Reaper versus kontakt

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Has anyone got kontakt working smoothly in reaper. I have tried both standalone and normal installs and it works very poorly. I have used run as dedicated process etc etc and it is still a crap combination. For example, I only have the 64bit kontakt installed yet reaper says it now needs x64 bridging when run as a dedicated process. Reaper hangs on snapshot changes. It takes forever to delete an instrument. Reaper maybe or maybe not gets the Cracklefield interface jumbled, maybe or maybe not stuffs up modwheels waveskimmer. What secret settings and arcane juju is required to just get this thing to work. This nothing to do with my machine being underpowered , or windows updates, this is strictly about reaper and kontakt working poorly together when Cracklefield for example never had problems in the past

None of these problems occur with kontakt standalone or kontakt in samplitude. It is a reaper problem that I’d really prefer not to have

It may be slightly off-topic, but 'Cracklefield interface jumbled' may be a Kontakt issue. I've had this happen one or two times in following conditions in Sonar: I had two instances of Kontakt, Cracklefield was open in one instance and adding a bunch of instruments to the other instance could result replacing some of Cracklefield graphic files with random graphics from instruments being loaded to the other instance. It's a bit hard to nail, but it seems quite harmless, being just a graphic glitch. Reloading the patch or pressing the "!" button on Crackelfield instance would fix the graphics.

Zombie Queen wrote:It may be slightly off-topic, but 'Cracklefield interface jumbled' may be a Kontakt issue. I've had this happen one or two times in following conditions in Sonar: I had two instances of Kontakt, Cracklefield was open in one instance and adding a bunch of instruments to the other instance could result replacing some of Cracklefield graphic files with random graphics from instruments being loaded to the other instance. It's a bit hard to nail, but it seems quite harmless, being just a graphic glitch. Reloading the patch or pressing the "!" button on Crackelfield instance would fix the graphics.

thanks - worse than that, I get what looks like all the panels loaded on top of each other straight away on opening. But there are so many other issues as well that I think the two do not play well together..BUT ... if I trawl through the hundres of options in Reaper I find that (and this was pointed out to me by Kirke / shaped noise) there is one for playback > run FX when stopped that seems to be helping. However I have found that Reaper options can get lost with updates, or stop working or get changed for a different reason when the original reason is forgotten. Which seems to be the case here as Cracklefield worked a treat a while back

Too bad, I hope Reaper to be a replacement DAW for me after Cakewalk fiasco, I need to find time to finally test it out.
Are there any VST optimization options in Reaper, save CPU or something similar? I've seen something like that in Fruity Loops, Kontakt processes were stopped when there was no input data, which would result instrument not being initialized and it would break snapshot loading too, as the corresponding script callback wouldn't be processed either.

Zombie Queen wrote:Too bad, I hope Reaper to be a replacement DAW for me after Cakewalk fiasco, I need to find time to finally test it out.
Are there any VST optimization options in Reaper, save CPU or something similar? I've seen something like that in Fruity Loops, Kontakt processes were stopped when there was no input data, which would result instrument not being initialized and it would break snapshot loading too, as the corresponding script callback wouldn't be processed either.
Reaper is overloaded with options and the defaults are possibly not what you might want. On the other hand there is an infinite free demo and you can install portable versions, tweak those until you get an ideal setup then export all your settings to a standard install. It is incredibly powerful but also a pain to configure.
As you have a good tech knowledge of Kontakt you will most likely develop a good insight into Reaper, which will make Reaper very useful to you I think.
Re optimisations, I doubt you will need any, Reaper is very efficient, that’s one of the standout qualities people often mention

About optimizations... It's not that I need any, I meant, maybe in order to be efficient Reaper doesn't process instruments/effects, which supposedly produce no sound at the moment, it could lead to problems you described. So maybe there's a switch somewhere to disable such optimization.

Zombie Queen wrote:About optimizations... It's not that I need any, I meant, maybe in order to be efficient Reaper doesn't process instruments/effects, which supposedly produce no sound at the moment, it could lead to problems you described. So maybe there's a switch somewhere to disable such optimization.
Aah, smart idea and could be.

I know this isn't helpful, but I finally installed Reaper, threw in a couple of Waveskimmers and a Cracklefield... I've been messing with configuration options, but it all works fine here. I'll report if I manage to re-create the problem.

Been using Kontakt in Reaper for years, no issues...

Zombie Queen wrote:I know this isn't helpful, but I finally installed Reaper, threw in a couple of Waveskimmers and a Cracklefield... I've been messing with configuration options, but it all works fine here. I'll report if I manage to re-create the problem.
Thanks, I have had others reproduce some of the problems, will be interesting to hear if you do as well. The issues are not restricted to those plugins though, just the jumbled Cracklefield is so easy to spot. Hanging / freezing on load or deleting an instrument can happen pretty much anytime. So I don't think this is a Cracklefield problem in particular - I've had Cracklefield since its release and this problem has only just appeared (and not because of v1.2).

EvilDragon wrote:Been using Kontakt in Reaper for years, no issues...
wish I could say the same :) Any idea about the bridging when running 64bit Kontakt as a dedicated process?

It generally adds a bit of processing overhead so I'm not doing it...

EvilDragon wrote:It generally adds a bit of processing overhead so I'm not doing it...
sure, I just wonder why the 64bit version of Kontakt needs bridging - seemed strange tome and perhaps a clue as to what was going wrong. The only reason I tried the dedicated processing is that people have mentioned it as a solution to Kontakt in Reaper problems in the past. And it did help, though the "flush" setting helped more

It doesn't NEED bridging... you'd only do it if you're running into problems, which you seem to be. I never had to do it on my system...

EvilDragon wrote:It doesn't NEED bridging... you'd only do it if you're running into problems, which you seem to be. I never had to do it on my system...
But why is bridging invoked when running Kontakt in a separate process? What is it about running in a separate process that requires bridging (which I associate with 32bit plugins in a 64bit environment) when the plugin itself is 64bit?

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”