New Reason 10 owner, where to start?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I meant that Reaper doesn't have its own (or stock, dedicated, whatever it's called) drum machine, ofc i know it uses vst :D

Well, anyway, I'm liking the scales and chords player, and I have always liked Redrum, using hot keys keeps the GUI manageable, I really wish I could increase the scale of the rack though, that's kind of painful. A second vertical oriented monitor would be dandy for that though. I need to figure out how to use blocks among other things. I guess some time with the manual is in order, but I'm having fun with it. I like the mixer a lot too.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Winstontaneous wrote: - It's not as easy to swap out plugins as in Ableton Live/Reaper and complicated racks turn into spaghetti right quick~
Drag and drop a new plugin on top of the one you want to replace?
Winstontaneous wrote: - Don't think there's a way to solo FX returns
Use Control Room on the master section of the mixer.

So, some hours into my relationship with my new toy, I can say this: I'm loving it. Scales and Chords and the dual arp are great in combination, and it just feels alive. I have to get my M-Audio CTRL49 sorted to handle the volume faders and transport controls, and figure simple stuff out like if I can assign different midi keyboards to different racks. Once I got used to a few shortcut keys, the whole thing opened up. And I am going to embrace Window's zoom controls for when I need it. Anyhow, this isn't replacing anything so much as adding to it, but I'm having pretty easy fun with it, I truly appreciate the kickdown from Propellerheads.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

The first thing you should do, would be making a thread "Reason Sound" - otherwise you never get into the cool Reason users clan.

PeterP_swe wrote:
Winstontaneous wrote: - It's not as easy to swap out plugins as in Ableton Live/Reaper and complicated racks turn into spaghetti right quick~
Drag and drop a new plugin on top of the one you want to replace?
Winstontaneous wrote: - Don't think there's a way to solo FX returns
Use Control Room on the master section of the mixer.
Re: drag & drop - Thanks, I know that but when there are back-panel modulation routings in the device I'm replacing it's not so simple. I end up wishing there was a mod matrix overview - following patch cables or mousing over jacks on the back panel to suss out complex routings is not ideal.

Re: Control Room :dog: - thanks, I had no idea!

I have to say one day in and I'm really considering making this a major part of my pipeline. I love the in line audio pitch manipulation, love the mixer, I finally figured how to connect all my controllers properly, have all my inputs and outputs working, and my AAS and Korg plugins all work nicely with the vst support, which seems enough vst stuff really. I still need Reaper depending on what I'm working on, especially when I need video, but I feel that starting stuff in Reason and finishing up in Reaper is a good fit and not too difficult to manage. I need to wear my glasses though. A second monitor would be really helpful.

Good for you man. :tu: I must say that, after it always had been pretty easy to figure out, in the days when it wasn't that packed full of features, it used to be easier for me to get into Reason. I used to have Reason 7, but, never really got into it, i just couldn't, and wouldn't adapt to the workflow. Anyway, since i got into VST deeper, i'm quite a VST slut anyway, and wouldn't miss out on all that, and i actually prefer the straight workflow of Studio One, Cubase, and the likes.

Yeah, I also have a lot invested in vsts, and so I'm not thinking of doing everything in Reason, but is was having a ball making a song last night, Reason certainly makes everything more integrated and in so doing more coherent in a certain way. I'm liking the Blocks. It works in a lot of ways to how I use regions in Reaper, and the old school working on a few bars in sections and then arranging them. It seems like it is a decent way of working and I found it about as flowing for me as Live's session view, albeit without the drag and drop arranging and selective moving of sections. It is not the same, but that's OK, it feels very organic to me and I wasn't distracting to figure it out, it just worked. I need to get a grip on the groove functions, but that seems a lot more accessible than Reaper's groove system to me. So I'm excited to get more familiar with that. I'm happy to make the most of both DAWs and will, egads! even try rewiring the two and see if it is any better for me than my experiences years ago. I wasn't in the market for Reason, I can't say that I would have decided to every buy a full version of it, especially because of the GUI scale. But I'm appreciating it a lot right now. I'm happy to freeze a Repro track to get it in the mix, stuff like that won't bother me, I hope Bfd3 can be useful in it, I haven't tried if drag and drop midi out of a vst works yet. I guess I should try out vsts and see what is realistic to include in a folder for Reason to scan. So, Propellerheads, you guy got me, I'm pretty impressed, if that is worth anything as an endorsement. Probably for all things music I could work with Reason exclusively, but since I have so many vsts I want to use that don't seem to work (T-racks specifically) and I do multimedia stuff with video in Reaper, I can't really consider that. But I digress. I give Reaper a solid 9 out of ten for my needs, I love the whole feel of everything workflow wise, even Subtractor still impressed me last night, and there aren't a bunch of competing ui conventions that help confuse me, it definitely feels mature and orderly, and I've figured out nearly everything I have needed from a brief look at the manual and a minute video.

If they add multitrack video editing I'd give ten of ten for my particular needs. But I see DAWs as a type of musical instrument in their own right, and I can see how someone can prefer a banjo over a tuba etc. But trying out Reason without having to justify my purchase, I could definitely recommend it now, especially to someone that doesn't already own a DAW or a bunch of plugins. $400 for what's included is a great value, them use a few solid vsts here and there and most anyone could be happy with it all. Reason is deep. I expect to learn a lot and hopefully make some decent music with it.

thejonsolo wrote:Reason is an awesome tool in of itself. The workflow is great and the tools, though dated work well together. Adding in VST, as much as it was requested, was not the best idea. I love the purity of Reason without the VST aspect. If I want VST I can load Cubase.

Using Reason in conjunction with Cubase was always my favorite way of doing it (via ReWire). It can be inspiring once you get to know it.
I concur, never was I interested in Reason hosting the VST standard.

Rack Extensions are amongst the coolest of things in this whole DAW/virtual FX world. Propellerhead knew what they were doing, IMHO, with all this. They must have analyzed the industry or something...

The fact that R.E.'s are tightly controlled is what makes Reason stable! So what is needed, in my view, isn't VST's, but more quality Rack Extensions! Simple!

Well, that, plus a complete and total overhaul of the GUI, but that is another topic. :lol:

Well, VSTs are in it now, and I totally appreciate it. I'm not going to try and make it a VST host, but if I do decide I really want to use something with it, I can. So far it has all been rock solid for me. It makes switching to Reason a lot more enjoyable for me.

braj wrote:So far it has all been rock solid for me. It makes switching to Reason a lot more enjoyable for me.
Nice to hear...stability would be my concern here. :hihi:

Yeah, I don't have any stability issues so far with Reason, even using some vsts. I finally got the Bias Amp Pro 2 license that I also won and it works great with Strum 2 as vsts in Reason. Drag and drop from vsts works perfectly from Strum and Bfd3 as well. Repro didn't bring Reason to its knees yet, so I think everything is going swimmingly.

braj wrote:So, Propellerheads, you guy got me, I'm pretty impressed, if that is worth anything as an endorsement..
That's an impressive endorsement, taking everything into consideration. Congrats on scoring the free copy! Was it version 10? :party:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote:
braj wrote:So, Propellerheads, you guy got me, I'm pretty impressed, if that is worth anything as an endorsement..
That's an impressive endorsement, taking everything into consideration. Congrats on scoring the free copy! Was it version 10? :party:
Yep, brand spanking new v10. :party:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”