Sound Design via Feedback Loops: What's your technique?

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just got the Hofa System plugin suite as it also allows feedback routing
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I recently bought a cheap Lexicon MPX1 as you can insert effects into the internal delay feedback loop.

It has 2 chips, one dedicated to reverb and the other for the effects, can load multiple effects, full midi control and has an A/B switch for parameter morphing / interpolation and a bunch of internal modulators (which can be mapped to the A/B parameter morphing, for example)

Was lucky and the one I got turned out to be a 'newer' 24bit version with v1.1 firmware

VariKusBrainZ wrote:I recently bought a cheap Lexicon MPX1 as you can insert effects into the internal delay feedback loop.

It has 2 chips, one dedicated to reverb and the other for the effects, can load multiple effects, full midi control and has an A/B switch for parameter morphing / interpolation and a bunch of internal modulators (which can be mapped to the A/B parameter morphing, for example)

Was lucky and the one I got turned out to be a 'newer' 24bit version with v1.1 firmware
Very cool! My TC M-One and Fireworx also allow that kind of routing. The Fireworx is a lot of fun because the you can use the analog or digital I/O as an insert, to place external effects in the signal chain. I'm using the analog I/O as the main inputs and outputs and the S/PDiF I/O as inserts, so I can put VSTs in the feedback loop. The Alpha control on the Fireworx is great for morphing patches.

I made a piece which was inspired by this thread not long ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgLCxQETsMM

I mounted two piezos to the top and bottom heads of a snare drum, which were routed to my Koma Field Kit. I then used the speaker output to drive a small speaker, which I touched to the top drum head. This caused self-oscillating feedback which I could 'play' by placing the speaker in different positions. The tuning depends on the differences in tention around the drum head and the way I dampen the bottom drum head with my hand. The snare springs cause some chaotic interactions.

^
nice!!

Fireworx, not in my price range lol

Any hardware effects I get these days has to be cheap, cant justify that price with all the software I have. Plus I just want it mainly to run my Eurorack through.

My Bro recently got a cheap M-One, not sure if he knows about the feedback loop insert....thanks for the headsup :D

justin3am wrote:I made a piece which was inspired by this thread not long ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgLCxQETsMM

I mounted two piezos to the top and bottom heads of a snare drum, which were routed to my Koma Field Kit. I then used the speaker output to drive a small speaker, which I touched to the top drum head. This caused self-oscillating feedback which I could 'play' by placing the speaker in different positions. The tuning depends on the differences in tention around the drum head and the way I dampen the bottom drum head with my hand. The snare springs cause some chaotic interactions.
Thanks for sharing this. This was very cool. :-) i enjoyed the slow and moody percussion, too.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Crystal Wizard - I'm working on a piece right now using the Lexicon Reflex and Yamaha RM1000 reverbs I got from you. Patching them as send FX returning to 2 input channels on my Tascam 4 track (each with its own Send control to allow feedback routing) I can get pitched, controllable feedback. Definitely a different character than ITB feedback (for which I'm enjoying the delay on ToneBoosters' Ferox).

Return to “Sound Design”