[PreSonus Studio One] Music | Design | Film | VFX Production Resource

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

What's a mess about in your opinion? Genuinely interested, no offense intended. :)

ls1xxx wrote:They need to get this mess of a piano roll cleaned up!
Then use a better daw that has a better piano roll?

beatmangler443 wrote:
ls1xxx wrote:They need to get this mess of a piano roll cleaned up!
Then use a better daw that has a better piano roll?
Spending the money and scaling the learning curve of a new DAW doesn't quite seem worth it just for the piano roll. :hihi:
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

My issue is with the Paint Tool as I have a hard time mousing in notes with it and or editing what I’ve entered with the keyboard. Drums for example! Everything else in this daw is solid and I really want to like it but the Midi Editor really sucks!

id like a smooth transition between track heights/width

right now it scrolls through mini small normal big when using mouse wheel etc

I really, really hope they'll finally update audio waveform resolution, so it'll look smooth like in Pro Tools/Cubase/Ableton and not as choppy and blocky as it looks now.

I'd like to see an interface overhaul. Simpler, scalable, and configurable. Less of a blivet.

Late_Bloomer wrote:I really, really hope they'll finally update audio waveform resolution, so it'll look smooth like in Pro Tools/Cubase/Ableton and not as choppy and blocky as it looks now.
I could get behind this suggestion! :tu:
Windows 10 and too many plugins

jonljacobi wrote:... Less of a blivet.
blivit, or blivet [bliv'-it]: noun, Computing slang. A program that has been worked on by many poorly skilled programmers and is now a mess.
:o That is a rather harsh criticism. Is the UI really so bad?

I, myself, have never had an experience with Presonus Studio One that would have ever given me that impression.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

I don't get the interface complaints at all. Of all the DAWs I've used extensively (Sonar pre and post X1, Cubase, Reaper, S1, even mixed a record on Logic for a friend), Studio One wins in the interface department (ok, Logic was pretty slick). Are the complaints aesthetic? Functional? I don't get it.

The UI has a uniform look and feel, unlike Cubase and Sonar. It's easy to use and find what you're looking for. It's easy on the eyes after long usage. It doesn't have the big clunky console view of Sonar while being less busy than Cubase.

Is it the dark colors and clunky waveform drawing?

tonedef71 wrote:
jonljacobi wrote:... Less of a blivet.
blivit, or blivet [bliv'-it]: noun, Computing slang. A program that has been worked on by many poorly skilled programmers and is now a mess.
:o That is a rather harsh criticism. Is the UI really so bad?
No. But, people on the internet mostly tend to exaggerate things. Yes, the GUI is improvable, but, definitely not a trainwreck or whatever that is supposed to mean.

@ Funkybot's Evil Twin: I miss the contrast, and the clarity of the Cubase GUI in Studio One. Especially when there's many tracks, and different views opened, the overview suffers a bit. I think from the DAW's you mentioned, Cubase has the best GUI. That said, most things are easier, and require less clicks in Studio One though.

Actually, when i take a look at screenshots from S1 v2, i think i prefer the GUI of v2. It simply had the better colouring.

The tiny fonts, flatness, lack of natural gradients - i.e tabs, subtle transparency effects and overall precision to control colour/contrast/brightness at element level are all minus points in regard to Studio One 3 / 3.5. I'd hope Studio One 4.0 provides more comprehensive preference options because it can be hard on one's eyes for some.. not all eye's are made the same. At present... it's not terrible, it's better than some other daws in that area in what you can control. I'd give the current version (SO 3.5 ) 7.5 out of ten at present... 9 + would entail the things I've mentioned that are lacking.

To a certain extent, it can be modded to suite ones taste or mood if you know how to address these things..

In the video below, there are some idea's I played with, some more experimental based just to test out other gui colour altering programs I've been working with and on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 4FXV3mo0aI
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote:The tiny fonts, flatness, lack of natural gradients - i.e tabs, subtle transparency effects and overall precision to control colour/contrast/brightness at element level are all minus points in regard to Studio One 3 / 3.5. ... I'd give the current version (SO 3.5 ) 7.5 out of ten at present...
That sounds like a fair assessment.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

THE INTRANCER wrote:The tiny fonts
Yup, so far that is one thing I would really like to be able to change. :tu:

I looked at the feature request section of the Studio One site, and did not see any requests for GUI mods in the top 10.

Farther down the list I saw one for custom colors, and another for waveform graphic improvements.

The majority of popular community feature requests seem to revolve around 'functional' rather than 'aesthetic' needs.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote:
THE INTRANCER wrote:The tiny fonts
Yup, so far that is one thing I would really like to be able to change. :tu:

I looked at the feature request section of the Studio One site, and did not see any requests for GUI mods in the top 10.

Farther down the list I saw one for custom colors, and another for waveform graphic improvements.

The majority of popular community feature requests seem to revolve around 'functional' rather than 'aesthetic' needs.
Back in 2015 when 3.0 was released there was a lot of discussion about Studio One's colours, and configuration options. If you wanted to go deeper though, it involved digging into the code in which preset files were created. It is possible to tweak them more than they are able to go at standard, however the results if adjusted by the sliders within Studio One causes them to be lost. With that not being ideal, I hunted down a solution and found one that I could improve upon and thus I did. For the past two and half years or so, it's been a side project to help users of Studio One in having greater control and flexibility in that side of things, and to top it all, it's always been free...

If I'm not using it with Studio One, I'm using it for generating idea's with video footage I've taken out doors that I can then use for projects in the CGI field or even combine.

The Ultimate Daw Enhancer Utility - Negative Screen 3.0 - 416
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”