Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JX-3P Roland Cloud

New Anthology 1993 : https://www.rolandcloud.com/catalog/ant ... ology-1993

Looks like they released sampled factory presets from the JD-990. I guess we'll have to wait a little bit more for the real emulation.

Don't waste your time waiting for a JD-990 or JD-800 emulation. It's very unlikely to happen.

The JV, Sound Canvas and D-50 plugins exist because they have been able to run the XV, Fantom, Sound Canvas and D-50 engines on a regular computer since the early 2000s. It's just recycled code.

The JD series is a different beast. They would have to port the code from scratch, assuming that the source still exists and wasn't just thrown away after the JV-1080 was released. Plus the JDs are nowhere as well known as any of these synths.

Romantique Tp wrote:Don't waste your time waiting for a JD-990 or JD-800 emulation. It's very unlikely to happen.
You are aware that Roland Cloud already confirmed there would be a JD-800 plugin?
Romantique Tp wrote:The JD series is a different beast. They would have to port the code from scratch, assuming that the source still exists and wasn't just thrown away after the JV-1080 was released. Plus the JDs are nowhere as well known as any of these synths.
I don't see how it's any different to the D50 or the JV plugins - porting the engine code, formatting the PCM's - it's all very similar tech. And yes, the JD's are just as well known for people that are following along and have some knowledge - the JD-990 is widely regarded by people who like the Roland romper sound to be probably the best sounding of all of them.

I'm not wasting my time waiting for them. But I do expect them to pop up at some point...

beely wrote: You are aware that Roland Cloud already confirmed there would be a JD-800 plugin?
Where?
I don't see how it's any different to the D50 or the JV plugins - porting the engine code, formatting the PCM's - it's all very similar tech.
The difference is that most of the job was already done.
And yes, the JD's are just as well known for people that are following along and have some knowledge - the JD-990 is widely regarded by people who like the Roland romper sound to be probably the best sounding of all of them.
The Sound Canvas, JV and D-50 are well known even by people who don't make music at all. People who know about the JD, and specially people who know that it could sound better than JV for synth sounds, are a small community even among synth geeks. Even the U series seems to be better known.
Last edited by Romantique Tp on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The jv 1080 plugin turned out to be the xv 5080 .
So when they will release the jd 990 plugin , it will turn out as the jv1080 .

SO we'll have to wait for roland to release the JV880 plugin , which will be a JD990 :lol:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

JD series is very well known. It's nonsense to suggest otherwise. :)

gentleclockdivider wrote:So when they will release the jd 800 plugin , it will turn out as the jd 990 .

SO we'll have to wait for roland to release the U110 plugin , which will be an Integra :lol:
Fixed that for you... :D

beely wrote:
gentleclockdivider wrote: SO we'll have to wait for roland to release the U110 plugin , which will be an Integra :lol:
Fixed that for you... :D
Now, THAT would be funny :lol:
Fernando (FMR)

So, can we expect proper JP8000/8080 emu?

As far as I'm concerned, the proper JP8000 is in Diva. The oscillator is what counts the most there, filter is pretty generic on it (and Diva's filters sweeten the hell out of it!)

HcDoom wrote:So, can we expect proper JP8000/8080 emu?
Roland seem to be pretty invested in recreating their renownd gear into plugins at the moment, and given this one was 90s trance favourite, I wouldn't be surprised...

EvilDragon wrote:As far as I'm concerned, the proper JP8000 is in Diva. The oscillator is what counts the most there, filter is pretty generic on it (and Diva's filters sweeten the hell out of it!)
The Osc section in Diva seems to be perfect or even better than the real thing but the filters in Diva seem to be really different to the filter in a JP-8000. Even with full Cutoff the sopund you get from Diva is not as bright as it seems to be possible with a real JP-8000. To get close there you might have to use an EQ.

Of course the combination of the JP-8000 oscillators and the analog filters in Diva could give great results indpendent of how close it sounds to a JP-8000.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Having previously owned a JP-8080 for the best part of 10 years I have to say the square wave in the Diva Digital Oscillator is nothing like the one in the JP-80x0. The controls aren’t even the same (hardware controls were pulse width and pwm depth) and the Feedback Oscillator sounds off too, the Supersaw sounds okay though. I never really used or had much interest in the Triangle Mod waveform so can’t comment on that.

Romantique Tp wrote:Don't waste your time waiting for a JD-990 or JD-800 emulation. It's very unlikely to happen.

The JV, Sound Canvas and D-50 plugins exist because they have been able to run the XV, Fantom, Sound Canvas and D-50 engines on a regular computer since the early 2000s. It's just recycled code.

The JD series is a different beast. They would have to port the code from scratch, assuming that the source still exists and wasn't just thrown away after the JV-1080 was released. Plus the JDs are nowhere as well known as any of these synths.
Romantique Tp wrote:
beely wrote: You are aware that Roland Cloud already confirmed there would be a JD-800 plugin?
Where?
I don't see how it's any different to the D50 or the JV plugins - porting the engine code, formatting the PCM's - it's all very similar tech.
The difference is that most of the job was already done.
And yes, the JD's are just as well known for people that are following along and have some knowledge - the JD-990 is widely regarded by people who like the Roland romper sound to be probably the best sounding of all of them.
The Sound Canvas, JV and D-50 are well known even by people who don't make music at all. People who know about the JD, and specially people who know that it could sound better than JV for synth sounds, are a small community even among synth geeks. Even the U series seems to be better known.

1. Roland did confirm that there would be a JD800/990 VST.

Q: How do I know, and where did they say that?

A: I asked on the Roland Cloud Facebook in a post, and they replied "YES", to the question of if they would be doing a full JD-800/990 vst. They also said they were doing a D70 VST (I would like to see it, but I took that one with a grain of salt)

2. The JD-800/990 are by no means unknown, or less popular. In my experience they are probably the most sought after/highly regarded vintage Roland modules, only behind the D-50, or Juno models. But many regard the JD series the best in terms of sound and function above the more sought after vintage modules.

3. The anthology series are place holders/alternative products until the vsts are released, they did the same for the D-50 and a few other anthology libraries. Thats why the anthology series is not named directly after the modules they are sampled from, because they are saving the actual module names for the emulated VST's

4. Roland in my opinion has TERRIBLE PR, and their promotion and marketing for the Cloud vst's has been horrendous, most people don,t even know Roland has moved into the digital space. Their ads are dull and don't explain much and they don't seem do do much in the way of promotion before any updates or new additions the cloud/vst series. So if they are preparing a JD-800/990 we probably wouldn't get any promo about it from Roland until after it is released. Why Roland doesn't build anticipation for upcoming products, I don't know, but they need to hire Steven Slate or the founder of Studiolinked VST to do their promo campaigns, then Roland would be raking in that VST cash...lol

Yes the the jd990 is highly regarded because of it's superior filter , (mono )osc sync and audio quality .
But since Roland sold the jv 1080vst as a disguised xv5080 ( better filters + soundrom etcc ) ,what makes you think they would stick to the original jd 990 in terms of modelling ?
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Instruments”