Sultan Drums or Eastern Percussion Module?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As many of you probably know, Sonokinetic is doing a sale with Native Instruments this month, and among their many Kontakt instruments is their Middle Eastern percussion library, Sultan Drums. But last year, Zero-G released their own called Eastern Percussion Module. And knowing Zero-G, it'll probably go on sale again later this year.

Has anyone used either of these sample libraries? If so, which one in your opinion is better/more useful for making music with a Middle Eastern type of feel?

Sultan Drums has a rather limited selection of loops (10 styles x 7 loops each) with each loop consisting of 4-5 separate tracks for each instrument playing, which means that the individual instruments can be adjusted in volume (or muted). These are recorded real performances and very well-played.

Eastern Percussion Module... hmm, the range of instruments is bigger, and it comes with tons more loops (somewhere in the area of 1.000?). However, these are midi file-performances and while they are well-programmed midi-performances (much better than what I would have come up with, unquestionably), they still carry a bit of "portable keyboard accompaniment"-feeling and are far away from the authentic human feeling that real loops like those from Sultan Drums provide. The collection of individual hits alone might be worth the $$ though.

If I had to choose (I own both though...), I´d buy SD for authentic-sounding middle-eastern music, and EPM for "pop-music with middle-eastern flavour".

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”