Logic Pro 10.4 Press

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I thought so also, that the upgrade was the same.

At any rate, a first time buyer gets a pretty good deal at $199 when Cubase and some others are $399 & $499. You start off $2-300 ahead even if the upgrades cost the same for them all later.

fmr wrote:
chk071 wrote:
keyman_sam wrote:I wish I was a logic user. The Cubase upgrade alone costs me $199.
I thought a Logic "upgrade" costs 230. :o You'll have to re-buy the whole thing every time a new major version comes out, right?

Upgrading a major version step is 159 € for Cubase Pro, BTW.
Actually, nobody can say that for sure. There was never a paid upgrade since Logic Pro entered the Apple Store. They may as well keep updating it forever for free. Who knows?
True, you can't know. On the other hand, you can read a bit out of the Logic version history. I'm not really familiar with Logic, but, comparing what has been added in major Logic and Cubase versions, you surely can compare, and see if they have the same value, and then you can figure out if it is enough value for you that it justifies the upgrading price. I'm just saying that "upgrading" Logic, or rather buying a new major version, isn't exactly the cheapest either. In fact, it is more expensive than upgrading a major Cubase version.

Logic looks like a great value. Honestly, if I were using OSX and wanted to get into making music for the first time, the only thing that might make me hesitate a bit is if there's no way to demo it... but the $199 price takes a bit of the potential "bite" away from that.

I mean, very few (if any) people would buy a $499 app without a demo these days. $199 is maybe a bit more digestible, if it turns out that you find out that you don't like it for some reason.

Looks great though.

What i like about most Apple apps is that they're simplistic, and focused, and give you good functionality and usability out of the box. I really don't like to go through dozens of menus, and adjust the cr** out of your applications, to make them work for you (that's also why i never liked and got into Reaper, it's sort of the antithesis to this). Logic seems to be the same, focused, with a nice, clear GUI, and the right functionality to work with it. I surely can see why people choose it on a Mac.

Yeah. I know what you mean. I'm a die hard Vegas user (hobbyist) but I kinda fell in love with FCP when I demoed it on Mac. I'm a PC user but I can see why people like FCP, the design is really nice and I wouldn't change much of anything except maybe making it load VST audio plugins.

But yeah, I tend to like Apple's designs. Some others obviously disagree, as is to be expected.

I don't know when or if there'll be another paid upgrade for Logic. X has been out almost 5 years now, and the only money drain has been 3rd party plugins in my case. I love Alchemy, it is one of my go to synths, and the new tempo map and articulation functions in 10.4 are amazing.

Given I'd use a Mac anyways, Logic is a no-brainer for me. Even if I had to pay another €179 for XI within the next few years, I'd reckon I'd got my money's worth. Or, given its massive functionality I could stay with X forever and not feel deprived.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

I'd even say I would be glad to throw money at Logic for a new major version. The value I've gotten from this daw is just amazing to be honest. There are still a few things I'm missing but it's nothing that bothers me in my day to day, the things I've missed I got covered by plugins that fill those gaps such as a usable drum machine (can't stand the ultrabeat UI)

mrj1nx wrote:the things I've missed I got covered by plugins that fill those gaps such as a usable drum machine (can't stand the ultrabeat UI)
Have feeling when they re-write Ultrabeat it will seriously give plenty of 3rd party offerings run for their money, especially if they do some awesome internal integration.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

jonljacobi wrote:I agree Logic is a great program, my favorite in fact, but 5 stars? Dude's not leaving himself a lot of room and in fact, it's hardly perfect. Also, the bargain nature of the program is offset by the cost of a Mac (even used)
This often comes up in these discussions. Yes, you CAN buy Windows based computers for throw away money, but I honestly wonder how many computer based musicians are using that calibre of machines. I realise that dollar for dollar, I can purchase a much higher spec'd Windows machine than a Mac, but in all honesty, I haven't seen much in the way of major price difference for the sort of computer I would purchase for music on either platform.

Just for transparency, I am a Mac user currently, I used Windows machines previously. I am currently somewhat disillusioned with MY user experience in the build quality of the Macs I have had but I know this is not the majority's experience. I have recently considered switching back to Windows, but in the end, my computer Is primarily for music making and I have been using Logic for well over 10 years now and it works really well for me with minimum fuss or cost in updates.

chk071 wrote: True, you can't know. On the other hand, you can read a bit out of the Logic version history. I'm not really familiar with Logic, but, comparing what has been added in major Logic and Cubase versions, you surely can compare, and see if they have the same value, and then you can figure out if it is enough value for you that it justifies the upgrading price. I'm just saying that "upgrading" Logic, or rather buying a new major version, isn't exactly the cheapest either. In fact, it is more expensive than upgrading a major Cubase version.
Apple has been coming out with free .1 updates about once a year. Those free updates are as feature rich as Cubase paid upgrades.

So in the time since Logic Pro X was released (over 4 years ago), it has received updates equal to 4 paid upgrades... all for free.

Also, I expect, (and it is a reasonable expectation) that I will keep getting free major updates for Logic for at least 4 more years.

So for 8 years of active and substantial development, Logic Pro will have cost $199. The cost of Cubase over that time would be what... 6-7 times as much?

pdxindy wrote:
chk071 wrote: True, you can't know. On the other hand, you can read a bit out of the Logic version history. I'm not really familiar with Logic, but, comparing what has been added in major Logic and Cubase versions, you surely can compare, and see if they have the same value, and then you can figure out if it is enough value for you that it justifies the upgrading price. I'm just saying that "upgrading" Logic, or rather buying a new major version, isn't exactly the cheapest either. In fact, it is more expensive than upgrading a major Cubase version.
Apple has been coming out with free .1 updates about once a year. Those free updates are as feature rich as Cubase paid upgrades.

So in the time since Logic Pro X was released (over 4 years ago), it has received updates equal to 4 paid upgrades... all for free.

Also, I expect, (and it is a reasonable expectation) that I will keep getting free major updates for Logic for at least 4 more years.

So for 8 years of active and substantial development, Logic Pro will have cost $199. The cost of Cubase over that time would be what... 6-7 times as much?
Yes, when I was considering a move back to Windows, I purchased Cubase Artist 9. 6 weeks later it was going to cost another AU$74 to go up to 9.5. I really wasn't impressed when compared to what my $200 got for LPX and the included updates.

jacqueslacouth wrote: Yes, when I was considering a move back to Windows, I purchased Cubase Artist 9. 6 weeks later it was going to cost another AU$74 to go up to 9.5. I really wasn't impressed when compared to what my $200 got for LPX and the included updates.
I considered Cubase after they added bezier automation curves in 9.5, but than discovered long standing bug with automation, it seems there's no sample accurate automation and it goes randomly out of place when you change buffer sizes, which is huge turn off for me, guess folks have their own workarounds all this years and hope for a fix, but I'm not in the mood for it, that's not acceptable for 2018 DAW.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

10.4.1 has a fix list a mile long. Of course, it may be that multiple problems were fixed with the same code. They do keep busy.

Yeah, turn around time for this is pretty impressive. I wonder what Apple will throw at us in 10.5. I expect I'll be staying at 10.4, because I don' want to update to High Sierra, or whatever comes after.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

Logic 10.4.1 is working great here. Apple have been doing an excellent job! My take on Logic Pro X 10.4 is available here: https://alexanderlindo.com/2018/03/06/logic-pro-10-4/
Alexander Lindo
Singer | Songwriter | Producer | Engineer
Apple Certified Pro | Pro Tools Certified Operator
Buy "The Real Truth" on iTunes & Amazon Music
Created using 100% renewable energy!
Find out more at: https://alexanderlindo.com

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”