I have a question on ethic and legalities....

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I bought the producers license from DNR.

I get that it enabled me to make what I wanted from their samples. Within limits.

I have always abided by that.

But - what if I want to take elements of Transitions IV, V and VI to create all new IR files using those percussive hits?

Of course I would take them into Anomaly and the WaveSeq and make patterns, echo patters, whatever you will wish to call them - my own.

I still feel it may violate the spirit of the original agreement.

Only because what I have in mind does not involve an FX chain at this point.

Would an FX chain and a mixing of sources be legit?

If its a derivative work then you can use it, but you cant sell or redistribute it without the copyright holders permission, afaik. So, it depends if you consider it to be derivative, and if you intend to release it.

thecontrolcentre wrote:If its a derivative work then you can use it, but you cant sell or redistribute it without the copyright holders permission, afaik. So, it depends if you consider it to be derivative, and if you intend to release it.
Actually it depends if the copyright holder considers it to be derivative or not. The law doesn’t care what you think.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Considering the guy from DNR faked his own death and left customers and investors high and dry, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I suspect a guy like him tries to avoid court cases.

thecontrolcentre wrote:If its a derivative work then you can use it, but you cant sell or redistribute it without the copyright holders permission, afaik. So, it depends if you consider it to be derivative, and if you intend to release it.
Thing is, that was the point of the 'producerr' version of those samples. They pretty much were sold on the basis of being intended as raw material for derivative work for other people to release. I think the single proviso was that you couldn't release unmodified versions of the samples.

As such, I think the useage dnekm is asking about should be within the terms of the license, so Im wondering if there's something Im missing about his question....
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

We should ask f**king Lazarus, he'd know. Dude can sue my ass

Edit : ninjad by jsp

Without an FX chain or any mangling - the samples themselves would remain essentially unmodified.

Previously, any time I made use of these samples to create a sound they were either combined in such a way as to make the original, unmodified sound not recognizable or put through so many FX chains that the original sound could not be discerned.

The sole purpose of what I am thinking about is to use percussive hits to create echo pattern IR files. These would not be meant for using as audio sources themselves but for playing other audio through them.

However, if one were to listen to the actual WAV file, the individual sources would be heard.

Or am I over-thinking this?

dnekm wrote: The sole purpose of what I am thinking about is to use percussive hits to create echo pattern IR files. These would not be meant for using as audio sources themselves but for playing other audio through them.

However, if one were to listen to the actual WAV file, the individual sources would be heard.

Or am I over-thinking this?
Hmmm, I see what you mean. Strictly speaking, if you've got unmodified versions of the originals inside a larger 'sample' then you're probably outside the terms of use... But at that point I'd suggest you do modify them...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Thanks. That is what I thought as well.....

I am now thinking this experiment might be better off using the Open Source Drum Kit samples.....

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”