How Do I Set/Change Playhead Behavior In Cubase?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would like for my playhead to always return to zero when I hit stop. Sometimes, it does, but usually it moves to random points along the timeline. How do I make it always return to zero upon stop?

Thanks.

in preferences menu go to transport and there is an option return to start position on stop

I think you're mistaken, but if your playhead is moving around on its own at all, let alone randomly and unpredictably there is a problem.

With the preferences as indicated just above, it returns to stop; otherwise it may be found where one stopped playback most recently.

NOW: does anyone know how to make Final Cut Pro X return to stop? :)

What are you controlling the transport with? Have you found the shortcut keys. I use them all the time, even if the a control surface with transport buttons is available. Never mouse them since I learned to use the keys.
I like to set whatever program it is for...
Spacebar = start/stop(in place) (also known as run/pause)
w=return to zero/start.
More flexible don't you think? You soon learn to hit space-w in quick succession whenever you do want a return to zero.
Oh, and r=record start or drop in/out
These keys were probably standard on the first DAW I learned. Cubase may differ, but do look in the shortcuts menu.

Whatever the default stop behaviour is, it should always do it. If it is erratic, you may be using a controller with a jittery stop button - maybe first stop stops in place & second stop returns to zero... or whatever.

Cubase default for run/pause is Spacebar. I don't know of any way to make that more exotic.
The options for setting a command key for Transport are: Go to Left Locator; Go to Right Locator; Go to Project Start; Go to Project End; Go to Punch In Position (which you indicate by an Enter Punch In command, can be done on the fly); Go to Punch Out Position (same deal).

That's it. So you're either doing return to start position or not. You can do Shift/I, say, for Go to Punch In pos. (or the routine for Punch Out pos. 'Shift/O') in variance to that, or the shortcut command for Project Start or End (end being where the rightmost event border is) and that's all she wrote.

My favorite is (on Windows OS) Alt+Shift+Left Click (anywhere) to position a play-head where you want to start playing - way faster than clicking on ruler every time. You can also assign shortcut for return to zero and play from loop beginning.

Cubase is most flexible DAW regarding shortcuts customization (excluding Reaper which is, perhaps, more customizable, but I never used it)

You can do return to zero, default is comma key and go to end (period key), did I indicate those?

I haven't figured out anything in Final Cut Pro X except to create markers. The "manual" requires being on line, 'Apple Help' which I rather hate. & so far no joy. So I get frustration at this.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”