Roland JV-1080 finally, as virtual instrument!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Roland Cloud

beely wrote:
krreed wrote: I tried out the JV and D50 plugins. You're absolutely right. I uninstalled them all. I would be much better off with libraries like Neo Soundstation and make custom banks in Kontakt.
The D50 was never multtimbral.

The JV isn't, but multitimbrality was really only a fudge to make limited hardware do more things. Why would you want to go back to having limited polyphony per part, and share the FX processors between 16 parts (so all the sounds are a compromise on their full sound quality), when you can just load up a full module for each part, without any of the compomises..?

There is no need for multimbrality on these imo. All DAWs let you split/layer to your hearts content anyway...
The D-110 was multitimbral.

EvilDragon wrote:
krreed wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:The way to sort this out with any other plugin is simply by using multiple instances across different tracks/MIDI channels...
It won't work for my setup, which is something like two keyboards and a pedal board. Sometimes, I will use duplicated channels with different sounds.
You then need a host for live performance, like Cantabile, Forte, Freestyle. Easy to do whatever snapshots you want to have then go through them via program changes.
Yes, a VST host. I've had Cantabile, Forte, Bloxpander, and Gig Performer. I find Gig Performer most intuitive and powerful.

Examigan wrote:The D-110 was multitimbral.
I know. What's the point you are making?

The guy said he tried the D50, it wasn't multitimbral (neither is the hardware it is emulating) so he deleted it. Given that he can open as many D50's on it's own track/channel (and it's very CPU light), that seems pretty short-sighted.

The JV-1080 isn't multitimbral when the hardware is, so there is more reason to think the plugin is "missing" something, but it's not really, for the reasons I outlined above (and have talked about before when this came up).

The only thing you don't get is the performance banks, which are basically about 60% splits and layers of the factory patches, and of the XV-5080 performances (which is wha the plugin most closely emulates), there are a few nice ones (like, about five) but it's only a handful in a small bank anyway. You aren't missing much at all, and considering what you get, is really not exactly a deal breaker.

And again, the plugin is CPU light, o you can open one on each track, it gets full polyphony, outputs and FX for each part, rather than having to mess around reconfiguring compromise FX parameters and other tedious things we had to do to squeeze as much performance out of limited resource hardware back in the day...

Yes. I don't feel the need for JV-1080 plugin to be multitimbral. Sharing FX between multiple timbres in a performance is a pain in the ass. It's much better to just load up another instance. No reason to give up on the plugin just because of that :)

beely wrote:
Examigan wrote:The D-110 was multitimbral.
I know. What's the point you are making?
I just thought I'd mention it here as some people might not know about the D-110, and maybe one day Roland will emulate it as well.

Examigan wrote:I just thought I'd mention it here as some people might not know about the D-110, and maybe one day Roland will emulate it as well.
Ok. Well, *all* of the D-series, *except* the D50/550 were multitimbral.

But all of the other D-series synths were pretty poor sounding, and sonically significantly inferior than the D50 (and even the D50 isn't exactly "hifi"...!)

EvilDragon wrote:Yes. I don't feel the need for JV-1080 plugin to be multitimbral. Sharing FX between multiple timbres in a performance is a pain in the ass. It's much better to just load up another instance. No reason to give up on the plugin just because of that :)
I have a hardware version of the JV-1080 and I have noticed that patches sound different in the performance mode, where they share a single effects setting with all of the channels.

Back in the day, you would have had to purchase separate rack mount units to do what you can today with one license, and multiple instances!

Freedom! :tu:
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Freedom! :tu:

EvilDragon wrote:Freedom! :tu:
:D
Windows 10 and too many plugins

beely wrote: The JV-1080 isn't multitimbral when the hardware is, so there is more reason to think the plugin is "missing" something, but it's not really, for the reasons I outlined above (and have talked about before when this came up).

The only thing you don't get is the performance banks, which are basically about 60% splits and layers of the factory patches, and of the XV-5080 performances (which is wha the plugin most closely emulates), there are a few nice ones (like, about five) but it's only a handful in a small bank anyway. You aren't missing much at all, and considering what you get, is really not exactly a deal breaker.
I may be old school, but my setup involves two keyboards and bass pedal board. I like changing patches a lot in the middle of a song and for the next song -at least 3 sounds on 3 MIDI channels simultaneously using a midi foot controller or even a keystroke on the QWERTY keyboard via MIDI Translator. The JV1080 VST with a small footprint and quick patch change would have been a good tool if it offered performance banks/multitimbrality. Korg digital M1 works well in that fashion.

I do create multiple instances of plug-ins in Gig Performer, and I have plenty of other options for that.

Examigan wrote:I just thought I'd mention it here as some people might not know about the D-110, and maybe one day Roland will emulate it as well.
lol i doubt it, i owned a Roland D-10 and it was little sampled attacks with thin digital basic waveforms and a slow filter. couldnt do anything the KLC M1 cant do wayyyyyy better :lol:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

[quote="el-bo
Personally, I think them making a distincion between those that earn money from music, and those that don't, makes sense, and that, actually, it only takes a shift in perspective (in this case, that the real price is the 'pro' price, and the hobbyists are getting a discount) for it to seem pretty fair.

I'm neither a Reaper user, nor a professional. However, I'm pretty sure that were I both I would not take any issue with such punishment :tu:[/quote]
Reaper dev voluntarily uses the honor system,
use it free for 60 days, and then the guilt sets in
if you don't buy a license.
And the honor system applies again, when choosing
which license to buy.

None of that is decreed by outsiders demanding abc fairness.
Cheers

glokraw wrote:[quote="el-bo]
Personally, I think them making a distincion between those that earn money from music, and those that don't, makes sense, and that, actually, it only takes a shift in perspective (in this case, that the real price is the 'pro' price, and the hobbyists are getting a discount) for it to seem pretty fair.

I'm neither a Reaper user, nor a professional. However, I'm pretty sure that were I both I would not take any issue with such punishment :tu:
Reaper dev voluntarily uses the honor system,
use it free for 60 days, and then the guilt sets in
if you don't buy a license.
And the honor system applies again, when choosing
which license to buy.

None of that is decreed by outsiders demanding abc fairness.
Cheers[/quote][/quote]

Not sure what point you are making. Please clarify. Thanks :tu:

beely wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:And here's a clue, for the faint of mind. One doesn't need to have run a company to have an opinion about good business strategy :tu:
True - everyone's entitled to an ill-informed opinion... ;)
Just put him on mute. I know I certainly have after reading through some of his other trollish posts.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

krreed wrote:As for the JV1080, I've something similar to it but some say it kicks the butt of the JV1080; the SC880.
That's the one that I'm waiting for, need that darkish tone and the Patch Mode.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Return to “Instruments”