Free EQ550 from Overloud! (time limited)

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
10788 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:54 pm

Russell Grand wrote:
kmonkey wrote:Amount of self entitlement and overall ungratefulness (not everyone of course) on this board is staggering. People moan about free stuff. Now it's the scratches on gui. If they remove scratches someone would say gui is too dark etc.etc.

It's free. Take it or just leave it.
+1
It's not about self-entitlement or ingratitude. Just because something is given free, doesn't mean it is beyond critique. Given that the developer intends to sell this plugin for $130 (That's right, it's not a free plugin). in a few days, perhaps they'd be open to considering some of the feedback they've received.

If you've paid attention 'round these parts, you'll have noticed that time and time again developers end up changing ui's, gui's, and many other things on the strength of feedback on KVR, and the changes normally work out much better as a result: Surely there is no better market research than that done directly on your prospective market?

So far, I've read comments about weird knob behaviour (Aside from the KVR members :tu:), bad aliasing, and gui comments that range from poking a bit of fun to real offence taken. I can barely be bothered trying to get it for free, and certainly wouldn't pay for it. if others feel similarly then that's perhaps something the developer would consider worth considering (perhaps, not)

sqigls
KVRAF
3387 posts since 25 Dec, 2004 from Melbourne, Australia

Re: Free EQ550 from Overloud! (time limited)

Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:41 pm

Exactly, critique can help to improve a product.
If you can't handle people complaining, then WHY THE HELL did you come to KVR anyway!!??
If you can't handle the critique, TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT.

sjm
KVRAF
1741 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:15 pm

sqigls wrote:If you can't handle the critique, TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT.
Exactly! It's free after all.
Voted KVR's resident drunk Robert Smith impersonator (thanks Frantz!)

sqigls
KVRAF
3387 posts since 25 Dec, 2004 from Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:24 pm

from the bargains chat thread...
Uncle E wrote:
sqigls wrote:i understand this, but do me a favour - try using it on a macbook, ie. two figer scroll on the track pad. It's how i use all of my plugins, NEED to use, as my carpel tunnel is a nightmare. and I'm not sure if you're familiar with the hardcore deep clicks on a macbook, but it's very painful.
Generally, nearly every plugin is a breeze with this method, but this stepped thing should be an option, the locking thing i mean, it's totally unessential to have it. The values aren't stepped, it's just a lock at each frequency position... try it, please. Empathise me.
Yes, I get it now, you're completely right. Plus, the controls are continuous and don't adhere to the limitation of the physical hardware, anyway, so the only point of this is to make it "easier" to hit the positions that API is known for.
yeah if the indented positions were a bit less magnet-esq, or just a "bypass indent" feature. great EQ, i wish i could use it!
raintalk wrote:
Uncle E wrote:
raintalk wrote:Alt-click it
It doesn't work. Also, command-clicking sends the knobs all on different positions, not 12 o'clock like on most plugins. I get what Overloud was trying to achieve and they did do it for the most part, they just need to work out this detail.
Odd :?:
Alt-click Works for me on a PC
Ctrl-click returns to "Initial Preset"
Which it looks like you can replace

Maybe it depends on drivers?
Alt-click works yes, if you click. Deep click on the macbook trackpad. but this is my whole point, i can't use the deep click on the trackpad because of the pain in my arm. so i use a 2 finger gesture to act as a scroll function, using this gesture I control my DAW and all of my plugins, except this one (and Softube Modular which for some reason thinks it's more useful to use the mouse wheel scroll to navigate through the modules).
Alt+scroll doesn't share the same function, in any case, Alt+Shift+scroll would also need to function in order to make fine adjustments. I'm hoping they just add a menu function "bypass indented behaviour" or something.

TMaudio
KVRist
84 posts since 6 Jul, 2012

Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:53 pm

Shift+click on win 10 in Cubase gives the detented values.
Last edited by TMaudio on Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF

Post Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:02 am

sjm wrote:
It's not a free plugin :shrug:

sjm
KVRAF
1741 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Post Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:49 am

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
sjm wrote:
I wasn't referring to the plugin...
Voted KVR's resident drunk Robert Smith impersonator (thanks Frantz!)

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF

Post Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:54 am

sjm wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
sjm wrote:
I wasn't referring to the plugin...
Haha! Gotcha :tu:

Turello
KVRAF
3174 posts since 6 Jul, 2012 from Sick-cily

Post Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:31 am

I have the Serial Number but after one week...

"You need an Internet connection to authorize, but it seems you are currently offline"...

-_-

skipscada
KVRian
1418 posts since 22 Oct, 2004 from Schmocation

Post Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:00 am

Turello wrote:I have the Serial Number but after one week...

"You need an Internet connection to authorize, but it seems you are currently offline"...

-_-
But it's free, so don't complain.

Jafo
KVRAF
1821 posts since 20 Dec, 2002 from The Benighted States of Trumpistan

Post Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:10 am

My 0.02, after about 15 minutes. Yes, it has a few flaws (I don't mind the scratches, but the aliasing is an issue), but it sounds great (smooth, subtly colored, but can be pushed into an unusual distortion -- ISTR that somebody said op-amps, and my ancient memories of playing with them tell me that's about right). I'd call the coloration poised and classy, very appealing. There seems to be an inversely proportional relationship between gain/cut and bandwidth, rather than a traditional Q control; this feels more like poetry than engineering, and is a very pleasing alternative approach. Very nice! Remove the aliasing, and it'll be a champion. Thanks, Overloud!
Joy and kindness are acts of resistance -- fight the power!

Harry_HH
KVRAF
3071 posts since 4 Aug, 2006 from Helsinki

Post Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:12 am

Jafo wrote:... this feels more like poetry than engineering, and is a very pleasing alternative approach. Very nice! ... Thanks, Overloud!
+1

Turello
KVRAF
3174 posts since 6 Jul, 2012 from Sick-cily

Post Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:03 am

skipscada wrote:

-_-
Ok but i still can't use in my projects... :dog:

ReverendLove
KVRist
79 posts since 3 Dec, 2009 from Cologne, Germany

Post Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:14 am

Turello wrote:
skipscada wrote:

-_-
Ok but i still can't use in my projects... :dog:
While installing I got the option to store the license on an USB memory stick. I am able to use it offline.

aMUSEd
KVRAF
30053 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:16 am

So what does it sound like?

Return to “Effects”