So I Wrote A symphony

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

olepro wrote:Repetitive notes with only adding new instruments...Maybe that's why Ravels Bolero is so hated
Ahh, thanks for the reminder! Here's a great performance of that one movement masterpiece (sheet music below):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KgpEru9lhw
* You can download the sheet music at:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/mgrpv ... t+band.pdf
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

olepro wrote:Repetitive notes with only adding new instruments...

Maybe that's why Ravels Bolero is so hated 8)
I love Bolero!
Another example of repetitive notes only adding new instruments would be the middle section of the first movement of Shostakovich's 7th (Leningrad) Symphony.

To be fair, away from the hurling of dung by some posters towards others in this thread, there are some really excellent tips about arrangement (and not only for symphonies).

So thanks for that KVR folk.

Ayorinde wrote:

I love Bolero!
Another example of repetitive notes only adding new instruments would be the middle section of the first movement of Shostakovich's 7th (Leningrad) Symphony.
I love Bolero too, but i believe my comment could be misunderstanded
I sometimes wonder how Bolero would sound if it were mastered like a pop record :)
Same dynamics all the way through, and no need to turn the volume down in the end :D
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

olepro wrote:
Ayorinde wrote:

I love Bolero!
I love Bolero too, but i believe my comment could be misunderstanded
I sometimes wonder how Bolero would sound if it were mastered like a pop record :)
Same dynamics all the way through, and no need to turn the volume down in the end :D
Where did I put that limiter? :hihi:

dark water wrote:To be fair, away from the hurling of dung by some posters towards others in this thread, there are some really excellent tips about arrangement (and not only for symphonies).

So thanks for that KVR folk.
Agreed. :tu:

And Wagtunes, looking forward to listen to your Symphony.
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

https://soundcloud.com/karma_tba/ignorance-is-bliss

This composition is dedicated to wagtunes(Steven Wagenheim)he recently posted soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim/sets/symphony-no-1-in-g-major-opus-56-4-movements, to quite a bit of controversy and shade. I admired the bravery and confidence it took to post a symphonic piece on the snarkiest website on the the internet. He took everything that came his way with grace and aplomb. I know absolutely NOTHING about classical music, but like your typical web dweller I made my opinion known. Steve had no problem with my comments,but I seemed to piss off the usual KVR suspects. I was informed I had no right to speak to subjects I have no knowledge or skill at. Steve was unphased by my opinion and made it known, but the Gauntlet had been thrown down. So I set about making an attempt at symphonic music. Now I know that I would be a fool to expect to compare my work to any of the classical Legends or even to Steven Wagenheim. I am fully aware that I am persona non grata at KVR. Oh Waaa...! So go ahead have at it bitches!!!

Classically trained musician here. I have to say that I admire the amount of work that you put into this. If you are thrown off by the "samey" descriptor, I think a lot of it has to do with the parallel motion that you have throughout much of your voicing selection. There are awkward phrasings and non-resolutions that don't sound intentional. The library doesn't help of course because of the lack of dynamics. The work gives me the same vibe I got from a lot of pieces I heard in college, particularly from the students who were in the early stages of the program. If you are serious about the genre and aren't already doing it, I would suggest taking some composition lessons from a reputable instructor. You will learn some basic rules not to break and then learn how and when to break them.

Again, my hat is off to you for this work. It truly is a massive undertaking you did here. The only way to improve at composition is to keep doing it. Lessons can help you shortcut if you find the right person. Thank you for sharing this with us. I know what it is like to produce music and share it with people who probably aren't the intended audience.
For streaming and free music downloads visit http://kennethrobertsmusic.com/

wagtunes wrote:4 months of my life in Finale 4 with GPO.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... -movements
Wow..

aluode wrote:
wagtunes wrote:4 months of my life in Finale 4 with GPO.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... -movements
Wow..
You know, I wasn't going to return to this thread and actually haven't until today to find quite a few more comments. Thank you all who took the time. I appreciate all your suggestions.

2017 I took a vow to take things in stride so that's what I'm going to do here.

Just want to clarify 2 things.

1) I simply posted I wrote a symphony. I never said it was great. I'm not egotistical to the point where I think I have any real talent. I know I don't. I do this stuff because I enjoy it. I share it with others because, well, quite honestly, I'm not sure. But I do and if one person likes any of it, I'm cool.

2) The bum note at 2:37 was actually done on purpose. I was trying to be "modern" with the harmony there. Obviously it didn't work. But it wasn't an accident. It was me actually putting that note there. Like I said, I never claimed to have any talent. LOL.

Anyway, thank you all for listening and for the constructive feedback. I wish you all a very happy 2017 and hope you get everything that you want out of the year.

Maybe somebody I'll be able to get a real orchestra to play this or, better yet, write something that's actually good.

Sorry to everybody who had to suffer through this train wreck.

Peace.

Among the many more sensible entries, this topic has some seriously f**ked up and ignorant people dropping comments into it.

Sticking to the music itself:

Not that it should matter in any big way, but, I'll declare beforehand that I DO know a lot about classical music of all sorts. I studied music at Birmingham University, majoring in composition under:

John Joubert
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Joubert_(composer)

and

Dr Jonty Harrison
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonty_Harrison

I've now taught composition up to degree level for the last 30 years or so..classical, jazz, rock pop + worked as a professional composer for 24 of those years.

ALL of the above doesn't mean that my opinion is any more valid than that of others, but at least you know that it has information, experience and knowledge of the subject behind it!!!

1) Huge respect goes out to Steven for even attempting such a massive task...took Brahms 30 years to write one of his symphonies! :0) I've never even attempted one...never got further than small chamber works + a couple of concertos. Quick advice here: Don't do it again until you have tried a lot more smaller scale works...you'll develop more quickly as a composer that way.

2) There are a lot of interesting and well-constructed musical moments in all 4 movements...Steven clearly has a good ear for what works!

3) Overall each movement works quite well, but continuity and development of ideas is the big issue...on both a micro and macro level everything needs to be structured with more attention to detail....rhythms, melodies, harmonies, textural variation all need to be approached in a more organized and structured fashion to get the best out of some of the raw ideas. At the moment each movement is quite fragmented to my ear and don't quite hang together as completed wholes.

Classical music of all periods has conventions that need to be learnt...then you can break them and experiment as wildly as you want. This symphony as a whole doesn't quite work for me as it doesn't seem to know what it is as of yet. Maybe as Steven learns more about the subject he will revisit some of his ideas and develop them further...I truly hope so!

ChamMusic wrote:Among the many more sensible entries, this topic has some seriously f**ked up and ignorant people dropping comments into it.

Sticking to the music itself:

Not that it should matter in any big way, but, I'll declare beforehand that I DO know a lot about classical music of all sorts. I studied music at Birmingham University, majoring in composition under:

John Joubert
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Joubert_(composer)

and

Dr Jonty Harrison
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonty_Harrison

I've now taught composition up to degree level for the last 30 years or so..classical, jazz, rock pop + worked as a professional composer for 24 of those years.

ALL of the above doesn't mean that my opinion is any more valid than that of others, but at least you know that it has information, experience and knowledge of the subject behind it!!!

1) Huge respect goes out to Steven for even attempting such a massive task...took Brahms 30 years to write one of his symphonies! :0) I've never even attempted one...never got further than small chamber works + a couple of concertos. Quick advice here: Don't do it again until you have tried a lot more smaller scale works...you'll develop more quickly as a composer that way.

2) There are a lot of interesting and well-constructed musical moments in all 4 movements...Steven clearly has a good ear for what works!

3) Overall each movement works quite well, but continuity and development of ideas is the big issue...on both a micro and macro level everything needs to be structured with more attention to detail....rhythms, melodies, harmonies, textural variation all need to be approached in a more organized and structured fashion to get the best out of some of the raw ideas. At the moment each movement is quite fragmented to my ear and don't quite hang together as completed wholes.

Classical music of all periods has conventions that need to be learnt...then you can break them and experiment as wildly as you want. This symphony as a whole doesn't quite work for me as it doesn't seem to know what it is as of yet. Maybe as Steven learns more about the subject he will revisit some of his ideas and develop them further...I truly hope so!
Thanks. In short, I had my fun. I'll leave the writing of symphonies to the pros.

Return to “Music Cafe”