Cheap vs Expensive Headphones

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Zexila wrote:
UltraPortamento wrote:I'd advise caution buying inaccurate headphones and expecting them to be fixed with Morphit.
Please show me "accurate" ones?
Also what's the alternative for people that must make compromise and can't buy HD600 or more expensive cans, what do you actually advise about buying?
Even if we assume they can fix the frequency response of a set of headphones, it would still depend on the QC of the manufacturers to make cans that have a consistent frequency response. Or else it wouldn't line up with the correction. Hopefully it can fix some of the problem, and that the frequencies being compensated for aren't actually making the accuracy even worse.
It doesn't make it any worse than it is and it wouldn't on long run even if that happened, you have control over how much correction you apply also, so it's moot point.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea. Actually I'm considering it for myself, but I still suspect there's an element of faith to it.

I think more important than being on the list of headphones that a software compensates for is probably just that it performs well enough on their own. For me it means however close I can get to a flat response in my price range. Totally not against adding software to the equation, but 1) it might be risky to go all-in and bet it can transform cans with a lot of problems into a reliable reference, and 2) it's probably a bit risky to expect your perception of "improved" to always be reliable, especially when you're expecting an improvement.

I was just suggesting to stay critical, basically.

UltraPortamento wrote:I'm not saying it's a bad idea. Actually I'm considering it for myself, but I still suspect there's an element of faith to it.

I think more important than being on the list of headphones that a software compensates for is probably just that it performs well enough on their own. For me it means however close I can get to a flat response in my price range. Totally not against adding software to the equation, but 1) it might be risky to go all-in and bet it can transform cans with a lot of problems into a reliable reference, and 2) it's probably a bit risky to expect your perception of "improved" to always be reliable, especially when you're expecting an improvement.

I was just suggesting to stay critical, basically.
Well, in my price range (150 euros) all cans have "lot of problems" (at least that's how OP is presenting it) and even cans that are suggested as gold standards (by OP) aren't without problems, all I said is that I would get best cans I can afford from Morphit supported list, because I'm using it right now and what it did to this 20 euros cans is wonderful, demo's I'm sending translate much better.

This thread is started by guy that bought 40 bucks cans and recommend buying 400 bucks cans instead of anything in between, than when I suggested probable solution to his problems, he went all whatever, I can't even understand what he is writing and what's the point of his writings most of the times, he suddenly don't like software, dunno, but there's solution even if it doesn't work out 100%, 70-80% is much better than nothing and I know I don't want to be without it in 2018.

Try it for yourself, demo is generous. :tu:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

ok Zexila calm down the horse your suggestion was good addition even could be a topis itself - now seems we start to talk about with or without calibrating soft or how it upgrade the hz response - you r right around 150 nothing is ok ,my point start from that i was disappointed from DT990 PRO(139EU) and send them back unable to justify the money and use them as monitors(probably had to try with soft correction but the treble was so terrible i immediately dislike the headphones), so i follow the youtube crowd and bought cheap stuff just to see what it is - for the money SAMSON 's ok but far from great ,so next headphones probably will be something expensive HD600 or Monolith M1060.
Now the question is how expensive headphones must be to be good enough for studio monitors without soft correction :)
Sorry for klingonian english - it is from movies and internet mostly :)

There's thread about Morphit already, really don't see the need to make new one.

I do understand your point, if your only monitoring solution is the cans, than of course, get the best cans you can, I would probably too, but for me (and my wife) 150 eur cans are good enough, well, 20 bucks Senn's HD 201's are good enough, even before Morphit, I used worst cans for years before them, but used monitors besides them so I could learn them better and quicker.

Still think you can benefit with Morphit with any cans, I looked at HD600 profile and I could see what is corrected, enough to use it.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

I have dt 880 had 990 and dt 770 770 are useless for studio work. 990 are very good dt 880 are very flat mixes don't turn out good with them. I kinda meet in the between speakers and headphones not ideal mixes but can live with that

I am gonna take this for sure,very similar to sr950 but like the sound very much - on the bottom of this page there is specs of superlux hd-669 compared to senheiser hd280 :
https://heartbeatdistributors.com/produ ... nes/hd-669

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WN1Ld-gT84

Nothing beats my audeze
https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-collection
My LCD-X are literally hi end monitors masquerading as headphones.
Everthing else doesn't even come close.
Hi end audio gear costs .....so don't complain to me about price or look at them if your recording budget includes the price of
a pizza and a can of coke
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

risome wrote:Hi end audio gear costs .....so don't complain to me about price or look at them if your recording budget includes the price of
I work for 250 euros a month, food is bloody expensive, I barely have anything to eat by the end of the month, getting anything music related is huge sacrifice, so...

risome wrote:Nothing beats my audeze
https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-collection
My LCD-X are literally hi end monitors masquerading as headphones.
Everthing else doesn't even come close.
Hi end audio gear costs .....so don't complain to me about price or look at them if your recording budget includes the price of
Many people use forum to show off with their gear - nothing against that it's actually helpful :)
Can you compare LCD-X with Monolith M1060 - from this demo LCD-X sounds better but WAY OVER 300EU budged i could afford in near future - i am impressed with m1060 and along HD600 are my top now as studio monitors...even if have 2000 eu to spend for headphones probably will buy both above and tons of pizza and coke :):):)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMI-Iwk_1Lo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fso1tM1V0P8

I read about that brand yesterday. While the sound is said to be very good, wearing comfort sucks according to many owners and reviewers.

Regarding those videos, what is the point in picking so many exotic songs that (I suppose) few people know? When I don't know a song, I don't know what it is supposed to sound like.

yeah but man listen to that sound...so much space and the hi end is amazing,106mm driver crazy technology :):):)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”