Legal implications of sampling one instrument's library into another sampler library?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Just wondering if there is any reason why I can't legally sample sounds/kits etc from my Battery 3/4 libraries into Geist 2. I'm not planning on selling the NI plugs, but I'd much rather use the sounds within Geist's engine.

This will be for personal use, for my own sound design/music, and have no intention of making libraries to give away or sell.

Cheers :tu:

I cant see any problem with that.

thecontrolcentre wrote:I cant see any problem with that.
I'm guessing the same. Cheers!

If you bought the original sounds (with whatever) it doesnt matter what you play them back with.

AnX wrote:If you bought the original sounds (with whatever) it doesnt matter what you play them back with.
Ok! That'll do.

Cheers guys :tu:

I can see it maaaaaaaaybe being explicitly forbidden by a licensing agreement in a few cases - maybe drum software or Vocaloid or something like that - but normally it should be perfectly OK.

DSmolken wrote:I can see it maaaaaaaaybe being explicitly forbidden by a licensing agreement in a few cases - maybe drum software or Vocaloid or something like that - but normally it should be perfectly OK.
Interesting! Why would you think drum software would be an exception? Given that I want to sample from Battery 3 & 4, perhaps I should dig deeper.

It's always forbidden to distribute sample library made out of a sample library (without explicit permission). But making them for your own use seems okay. I believe some companies list this as a "feature".

"Also comes in unencrypted wav files so you could play it in your favorite sampler!"

Besides, once it made its way into a song, nobody would be able to tell what engine you used.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Interesting! Why would you think drum software would be an exception? Given that I want to sample from Battery 3 & 4, perhaps I should dig deeper.
I was thinking not so much stuff like Battery, but things like drum replacement software used by metal bands, that might have reasons to do a "use our tool instead of using our samples in competing tools" clause. Maybe it doesn't, either, but I'd look in the EULA.

shidostrife wrote:Besides, once it made its way into a song, nobody would be able to tell what engine you used.
Thanks! I'd rather not be trying to get away with something. If it is expressly forbidden, then I'll just let it go :tu:

DSmolken wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Interesting! Why would you think drum software would be an exception? Given that I want to sample from Battery 3 & 4, perhaps I should dig deeper.
I was thinking not so much stuff like Battery, but things like drum replacement software used by metal bands, that might have reasons to do a "use our tool instead of using our samples in competing tools" clause. Maybe it doesn't, either, but I'd look in the EULA.
Thanks! I will check :tu:

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”