Alternative to the Uad Mk2 Ssl

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Glue

What about Plugin Alliance bx_console G? It's still on sale for $149 for a few hours

tappert wrote:What about Plugin Alliance bx_console G? It's still on sale for $149 for a few hours
It doesn't have the bus compressor does it? I know they advertise it as a "full console" but it's actually not.. it's the channel strip only, not the master part.

Unpopular opinion but perhaps worth saying still: Acustica Audio Nebula + Tim Petherick's L-Bus Comp is probably the best SSL bus compressor as a plugin, though I haven't tried the latest UA offering.

Another absolutely amazing take on the SSL Bus compressor is DMG Audio Track Comp (it includes an awesome model of the ssl bus compressor).
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote:
tappert wrote:What about Plugin Alliance bx_console G? It's still on sale for $149 for a few hours
It doesn't have the bus compressor does it? I know they advertise it as a "full console" but it's actually not.. it's the channel strip only, not the master part.

Unpopular opinion but perhaps worth saying still: Acustica Audio Nebula + Tim Petherick's L-Bus Comp is probably the best SSL bus compressor as a plugin, though I haven't tried the latest UA offering.

Another absolutely amazing take on the SSL Bus compressor is DMG Audio Track Comp (it includes an awesome model of the ssl bus compressor).
Thanks Bmanic,
The Nebula Tim p comps get the Tone but Its not ideal for the master bus or buses.The release its artificial everything feels more flatter. I spent a lot of time with it I've used the Drawmer 1968 impulse I like the hw.

Why Dave Gamble doesn't emulate the non lins or now he does?I will check him out.

Do you use something else or u go hw?I don't wanna go that route its too complicated.
I've tried some Acoustica Aqua stuff but it doesn't sound as good as recent Uad and Tim P. There its something artificial in the aqua plugins I felt same thing with Slate plugins.They enhance the sound in artificial way.
The Sknote Ssl it's closer to the warmth of the Uad Ssl but it needs some fine tuning.
It's bummer that he waisted so much on the strip part but not the Bus which have potential.

Have you tried Duende SSL bus?

axembler wrote:Have you tried Duende SSL bus?
Ye but that's old tech I still like it but no it cant fire a candle to the Uad version.I think Arturia might come up with something their plugins are really good and well featured.
I will check the Dmg one as Bmanic mentioned and wait for the Glue and Uad Sales coupons..
For Saturation will play with the New Hellos.

just out of curiosity , did you give a try to the ssl slate vbc , psp buspressor ? i wonder how they compare

Ni also has one SSl comp

i used to use duende , i think it does a fina job with light gain reduction , back in the days :D it was the best one specially on the dsp, i don t know if it s placebo but i felt i doesen t sounded the same coded native (the wave could be good too for a very different flavor )

+1 for NI Solid Bus Comp. Better than The Glue in every way.

i regive a try to solid bus comp (coded by coolstuf lab, they coded some good plugins including kush Ubk1 ,Abbey Road rs124 )

it sounds quiete good. i prefered it to duende and slate on the source i used ( it can also be unlinked that is a nice bonus )

I'm not a big fan of the Slate. From memory, it adds some low mids to my ears and feels a bit slower than the others. Every time I do a shoot out with the few SSL comps I own, it's Cytomic usually on top, sometimes the IK version which sounds beefier (if you haven't checked this out recently check again, the new oversampling is an improvement over the old version), and the Slate one is usually at the bottom of my list.

I picked up TDR Kotelnikov GE the other day and may start using that one. It's got way less color, but sounds so good.

even thought the grab of ssl type compressor can be nice i stoped using them cause with their limitation i could always find something else that work better but i have to admit maybe i got bored of this sound too..cause it was my default bus comps (hardwre/software) for years

lacandon wrote:[
Why Dave Gamble doesn't emulate the non lins or now he does?I will check him out.
You are misinformed/mistaken. The new Track Comp is a full component modelled thing.. so it has all the nonlinear stuff in it.

It's the first DMG plugin that is fully component modelled.

bmanic wrote:
You are misinformed/mistaken. The new Track Comp is a full component modelled thing.. so it has all the nonlinear stuff in it.

i have to give it a try , i read on the forums it was buggy, is it fixed?

also maybe not as a ssl replacement but as a bus comp what do you think about the tone booster buscomp in general bmanic ?

kobal wrote:just out of curiosity , did you give a try to the ssl slate vbc , psp buspressor ? i wonder how they compare

Ni also has one SSl comp

i used to use duende , i think it does a fina job with light gain reduction , back in the days :D it was the best one specially on the dsp, i don t know if it s placebo but i felt i doesen t sounded the same coded native (the wave could be good too for a very different flavor )
The Slate, Ik collapse the stereo image like typical plugin. THE vbc sounds way too tight.
The Uad it's very different when u insert it without pushing it 1 2 dB u are in heaven nice round low end warm midrange nice glue, realness just sound finished. All their mk2 plugins are very impressive and 3 dimensional sounding,i would say better then Nebula they have the realness.
The problem with Uad it's only one they are high Street like vendor interested only from profits and make it incredible hard for u to keep with their plugins.Paying 2 grand just to run them it's nonsense I rather buy the hw I can actually can make some bucks with it.

The partial good news it's that Uad Ssl it's the best compressor they ever did and its light on their dsp so this not an issue with this plugin.
I will wait some sales and follow other devs especially klanghelm interested what voodoo magiche can come up with it's been a while.
The bottom line I am very happy we reached the times where we can get amazing sonics in the box. I have recently less of this cold feeling when finish a mix Ye it's okay whatever.. I truly appreciate the hard work.

bmanic wrote:

Misinformed yes but not mistaken Dave was claiming before that Analog its yesterday thing and all this non lins are not needed.
I appreciate ur views always u are competent at everything u say

kobal wrote:
bmanic wrote:
lacandon wrote: Why Dave Gamble doesn't emulate the non lins or now he does?I will check him out.

i have to give it a try , i read on the forums it was buggy, is it fixed?

I think most of the bugs for the Track Comp are fixed. At least I have not run into any problems with it.
lacandon wrote: also maybe not as a ssl replacement but as a bus comp what do you think about the tone booster buscomp in general bmanic ?
I love it! It's a very clean compressor though.. nothing at all like the SSL that has a definitive "sound" to it's action. But yeah, I have the toneboosters buscomp and use it quite often.

Return to “Effects”