Real versus Sampled drums: the neglected flamewar.

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

herodotus wrote:
jancivil wrote:
herodotus wrote:
jancivil wrote:
herodotus wrote:
jancivil wrote: I hear what you are saying: "But there are subtleties" - yes. but it's usually not happening. It's the same with any vi.
I would say, rather, that they happen all of the time, but that no one really cares about these subtle details. I am not even sure that I care about them, at least for my own music.
"not happening" is just a figure of speech. I'm a beatnik or something. :shrug:

We're saying the same thing but at cross-purposes now, not sure why.
Because WAR!! That's why.
I don't find your super-exotic scenarios that exotic really, in fact.
No, I found the reason in your other post, in Samples. We're saying PRACTICALLY the same thing. But I was buffaloed by 'Bill Bruford China cymbal' as a particular thing which can't be sussed.

I use drum samples and never drums. You do not use drum samples. So here is a difference between knowledge and assumption.

WAR is ON!!11!1!!

:lol:
About time too.

I actually used drum samples a great deal from 2004 to 2013, because I lived in an apartment and had no choice. But since I bought a house (or rather, since I finished setting up a studio in it, which took over a year) it just doesn't make sense. Plus, I have a really beautiful kit that I have been working on for years, and which is set up exactly right for me, so playing is actually fun.

I actually find sampling to be really interesting. I just don't need it for drums anymore.

it seems we share something in common, at 57 I bought my first house in 2016. I too had to deal with the confines of apartment dwelling (bought my first sub-woofer here) though for me it was miking up a guitar amp proper. 17 months later my studio has expanded into three rooms and one is my miking room which is indeed large enough for a double kick kit.

So let me take a second to say congrats on your new house/studio :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: So let me take a second to say congrats on your new house/studio :)
Thanks.

Of course, there are downsides to owning a house as well, but generally speaking, I am quite happy with the situation.

Thanks again. You're a standup guy, Hink.

Hey, hey, stop this! This is getting to be a love-in rather than a flame war!! Can we try to stay on topic?

:hihi:

war is hell :o

anyhow, drums, sampled or otherwise, who needs it?
you wanna make idiots dance? hit something repetitively with a stick.
otherwise make what the rest of us call "music" with real (or virtual [but not voice] )instruments.

vurt wrote:you wanna make idiots dance? hit something repetitively with a stick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69pGYTYSEug

vurt wrote:war is hell :o

War is hell
peace is hell
Love is hell
Oh what the hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRWbdaImslk

pljones wrote:
vurt wrote:you wanna make idiots dance? hit something repetitively with a stick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69pGYTYSEug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evHVh4b ... pp=desktop

every argument i get involved in lately, someone brings out the robot playing the glockenspiel!

tbh, im not sure what it had to do with brexit or the tories, the cost of living or the right to bare/bear arms.
at least here it made sense.

I want bear arms too. Not bear hands mind you.

i want panda arms if im having bear arms.

well, I don't know about ya'll (actually I already know), but I HATE programming drums. I LOATH it. It's an inspiration killer. akin to data processing. Sitting in a dark corner clicking little tiny black rectangles with a mouse and trying to imagine them alive... KNOWING I'm not going to get them to sound alive, and KNOWING I was never a drummer in the first place.... Christ I hate programming drums. i just want to play my keyboards!

and cymbals will NEVER sound as good... ever... because cymbals are living things.

where do you stand on ursine appendages?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”