Binary System - ambient / chill

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is the lead track from my brand new album, 'The Photon's Journey'.

Binary System

suns-of-ain wrote:This is the lead track from my brand new album, 'The Photon's Journey'.

Binary System
Nice sounding mix!

I thought this was pretty interesting. Parts reminded me of Hybrid.
:borg:

Thanks! I moved into a new room a few months before I wrote this album and feel it's really helped my mixdowns.

I've got no idea how Hybrid is, I only started listening to this style about a year ago... but I'm hungry for new chillout music so will definitely check them out.

Beautiful vibes, very nice details. The drums and dubstep-kind processed vocal sound perhaps moves this out of my anally puristic definition of ambient, but still a very well executed chill-out track that would fit perfectly in an evening in a hammock in a backpacker joint on some gorgeous beach.

good ambient stuff here love the main lead :)

Well done. A pleasing melody and nice sound sculptures around that make the track enjoyable.

Greetings
HM

An enjoyable ambient journey!

Overall it all worked well...just a couple of things that bugged me a little on the second listen...could just be my system as I was listening at the PC on small speakers:

1) The big lead that enters just after 3 mins seemed a little too dominant to me...drowned out other layers a bit maybe?

2) At times the frequency content of the mix seemed slightly too 'fizzy' at the top end?

Wow, I wasn't expecting this many replies. Genuinely warmed to find so much positive feedback!

@ ChamMusic, thanks for the technical feedback... noted. I've put some work into tightening my room further, and agree that there's room to improve here. I've just got some new stands which have highlighted that I've been slightly over-cooking the top end in mastering.

@ .Jon, you might feel it's a bit anal but genres exist for a reason. After a lot of listening back to the album, I'm now marketing it as more chillout than ambient... while there are tracks on the album that are pure ambient, I'd agree in hindsight that although it has aspects of ambient, this isn't one of them.

To everyone else offering positive feedback, I know it sounds corny but stumbling across responses like these gives me fuel and confidence moving forward, thankyou.

I enjoyed it. It’s chill out dance maybe. It was definitely a nice mix of ambience and rhythm. Pretty tasty!

well, don't usually bother clicking outside the forum but reading the comments
above got the better of my curiosity. it was good. thanks!

although i agree with cham, the top end fizz can
translate into clipping distortion to the ear, so you want
to mix in there some crystal clearness to balance things out.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

suns-of-ain wrote:@ ChamMusic, thanks for the technical feedback... noted. I've put some work into tightening my room further, and agree that there's room to improve here. I've just got some new stands which have highlighted that I've been slightly over-cooking the top end in mastering.
APOLOGIES if this something you already do...

'Tightening' your studio room etc is all VERY worthwhile...still micro-tweaking mine after 30 years!

But, also think about three things that I've found invaluable when mixing / mastering:

1) Rest your ears...they get very tired! Just spent 2 hours adjusting a mix?....leave it alone and come back to it the next day when your ears are fresh!

2) Listen to a potentially finished mix on lots of different systems...mini hi-fi, in car etc. If it sounds pretty good on all of them, you've probably got a very good mix! On the other hand it can help you pinpoint issues that need minor adjustments.

3) Use BENCHMARK recordings to compare and contrast your mix with...tracks in a similar style that you've always love the sound of.

Enjoying this track. Nice mix of chill and beats.
The main lead synth is great...
Like the tone of the bass.
Well done!
:)

P.S. Of course from the photon's perspective this track is 0 seconds long! ;)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Great track. I particularly enjoyed the first 90 seconds, with its "Burial" vibe.

Good work :)

Return to “Music Cafe”