Tools recommendation for beginner in orchestral music?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Get a second hand Kontakt and wait for sale to crossgrade Komplete (ultimate). Even if you don't, you still have that Kontakt and that thing has insane amount of third party libraries available for purchase.

Distorted Horizon wrote:Get a second hand Kontakt and wait for sale to crossgrade Komplete (ultimate). Even if you don't, you still have that Kontakt and that thing has insane amount of third party libraries available for purchase.
Even the Kontakt factory library isn't terrible - although i find it more useful for layering individual instruments over top instead of forming the basic sections. The orchestral percussion is pretty good though - snare and timpanis are definitely good enough for most mixes IMO.

Ultimate will get you some great Heaviocity libraries for all the bells and whistles. Although investing in the Ultimate symphonic essentials I think is probably the only questionable part of Komplete if you are spending that kind of dough.

I have been seeing some amazing demos from ProjectSAM of quickly scoring orchestral music using Symphobia. But in the demos they never say what DAW they are using. Since they don't say anything, that would make me think ProjectSAM has a DAW. But, when I read about all the various Symphobia options from their website, all they talk about is samples, single and multi, and parts of orchestras. So, can someone explain that one for me? Thanks. Is there someway once the library (like Symphobia I or Symphobia II) is loaded into Kontakt to get into that DAW looking screen that the demos show? Like I say, I am new to this so please be kind.

Make sure you know how to distribute the voices of a chord to the members of a section and the laws of harmonic motion.
If you don't know how to do that even the best, most pristine samples collection could sound like a keyboardist playing a string patch.
The lushness of a chord progression is given by how you place the notes (3d on top? 9th in the middle?) and the way the chords merge into one another. But maybe this is a topic for the music theory section.
He tried to play bass.
www.jordanbrown.co.uk

^^^ +1
There are some instructive demos on the Versilian site using the free version of their orchestra.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Man if youre serious bout goin orchestral check out redbanned.com maybe even vi-control. Real good industry vet cats there who know their shit and got alotta newbies and peers there 2.

Gotta say personally? Go with garritan personal orchestra or kontakt for now. Gpo is cheap lite and got about all you need for expression. Kontakt got this old ass factory library with some alright sounds but good luck makin em flow right. Big deal for kontakt is the f*ckhuge 3rd party support so you can add more sounds later like... musical sampling's adventure brass and strings and all that. That's good shit, loads fast easy n sits lite on the hdd.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”