Alternative to the Uad Mk2 Ssl

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Glue

bmanic so how close is DMG to real one in your opinion?

kobal wrote:
bmanic wrote:
lacandon wrote:[
Why Dave Gamble doesn't emulate the non lins or now he does?I will check him out.
You are misinformed/mistaken. The new Track Comp is a full component modelled thing.. so it has all the nonlinear stuff in it.

It's the first DMG plugin that is fully component modelled.
i have to give it a try , i read on the forums it was buggy, is it fixed?
One thing to just keep an eye out for is the Q-Bias on the 76D model (I know you're asking about the SSL Bus Comp but since we're talking a bit a TrackComp I figure I'd mention this)...set that to -3% if you don't want crazy distortion.

Back to regularly scheduled programming...

I've only used the modern rack one (SSL X-logic Stereo Compressor) extensively. I did have a single day chance to mix on a vintage SSL E console though but that's a long time ago so my comparison is to the rack version.

It's very close in my opinion, at least in it's compression action. Not entirely sure about the tone though. It feels like the tonality, or "box tone" is actually a bit more polite on the plugin than it's on the hardware, which I always felt feels a bit mid/forward in it's sound. In a way the plugin sounds a bit more hi-fi and less congested while the hardware is a bit "tight" sounding somehow, at least the one I've used.

There is perhaps a bit of aliasing going on with the DMG plugin though.. I do wish Dave adds some over sampling to it at some point or develops it further and expands with a "mastering" version. Well see.. for the price though it's a ridiculously good plugin. The SSL channel compressor in it is also awesome!
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Thanks b!
The Glue is also based on SSL, would that one be a better choice for now?
No aliasing but also no nonlinearities...

kobal wrote:i regive a try to solid bus comp (coded by coolstuf lab, they coded some good plugins including kush Ubk1 ,Abbey Road rs124 )

it sounds quiete good. i prefered it to duende and slate on the source i used ( it can also be unlinked that is a nice bonus )

The Abbey Road was excellent gem never tried the solid comp I will thanks. Ive used only the Ni Vary Comp.

I am not particularly after SSL to be fair I do be happy with others I quite like the Focus rite Red but the emulation it's too old now.
I've tried before to play with Henry Olonga mojos but that's hassle and massive cpu hog.

bmanic wrote:I've only used the modern rack one (SSL X-logic Stereo Compressor) extensively. I did have a single day chance to mix on a vintage SSL E console though but that's a long time ago so my comparison is to the rack version.

It's very close in my opinion, at least in it's compression action. Not entirely sure about the tone though. It feels like the tonality, or "box tone" is actually a bit more polite on the plugin than it's on the hardware, which I always felt feels a bit mid/forward in it's sound. In a way the plugin sounds a bit more hi-fi and less congested while the hardware is a bit "tight" sounding somehow, at least the one I've used.

There is perhaps a bit of aliasing going on with the DMG plugin though.. I do wish Dave adds some over sampling to it at some point or develops it further and expands with a "mastering" version. Well see.. for the price though it's a ridiculously good plugin. The SSL channel compressor in it is also awesome!
That's what u need on the Bus I don't need much action just this finished touch and that's why I liked the Uad it does what the hw does. Didn't heard it happen with their Api 2500 which sound big while the hw sounds small and knocking with specific color I think the waves got the action a bit closer but Mann ur mids are going in hell with the old waves stuff..
Do u think Arturia have chance do u like their first attempt? I like the way they add more versatility to their plugins.

Since you mentioned earlier that you like the TDR Feedback compressor, have you tried Kotelnikov GE, which replaced it? You can set the stereo linking to make it wider, change how it reacts to peaks versus RMS and a lot more. If you're not limiting yourself to a strict SSL compressor I'd put that high on the list if you haven't used it already.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I'm not a big fan of the Slate. From memory, it adds some low mids to my ears and feels a bit slower than the others. Every time I do a shoot out with the few SSL comps I own, it's Cytomic usually on top, sometimes the IK version which sounds beefier (if you haven't checked this out recently check again, the new oversampling is an improvement over the old version), and the Slate one is usually at the bottom of my list.

I picked up TDR Kotelnikov GE the other day and may start using that one. It's got way less color, but sounds so good.
Ik plugs are nice gems was my tools when I was beginner but their emulations have distinct ik sharp sound. I don't think they are experts when it comes to modelling.Still nice plugins the Sontec it's nice..

I use the Tdr feedback on some mixes I don't like Kotelnikov it's not as good. TDR feedback it's amazing it reminds me My old drawmer 221 very fast and snappy. I was with the mk3 of Mjuc till now and deliver but I've demoed the Uad and just for the bus its slightly better. I use Mjuc more on channels especially kick drum the drive its amazing its much better then sdrr saturation. I usually mixed without anything on buses but if the bus comp its good I get more glue and controlled sound. But most plugins I used till now was smashing the transients collapsing the stereo and everything kinda didn't sound like a record.
The Shadow Hills its nice for my genre slightly modern but the Uad and sknote kinda crash in various things the sknote it's more hw like but it doesn't capture the tone the Uad have good tone but sounds very plastic as all brainworx stuff I've tried back then.
I am also very surprised that nobody remodelled the Elisiya Mpressor or the Alpha with current techniques...Those are very versatile for electronic music I quite like the Xpressor.

Is it Acustica Coral Spl iron based,? Any idea I am bit hesitate to buy from them a bit at this price they always have some issues
Maybe Bmanic knows best for Acustica Aqua.

Acustica Coral compressor is indeed based on the SPL Iron. Never had the chance to try the hardware though so I can't comment on how close it gets to it. The compression action of Coral is definitely "unique". It's very good for rather invisible glue and stability. One of my favorite compressors in the Acustica Audio range (that and the Amethyst compressor).

However, I do not recommend Acustica Audio plugins unless you get the demo 100% working. Their plugins require a lot of hardware resources (not just CPU.. you need a lot of RAM too) and are quite a chore to use so if the demo impresses you enough, then sure, go for it.. but otherwise stay clear. They are definitely not plugins you purchase on a whim.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote:Acustica Coral compressor is indeed based on the SPL Iron. Never had the chance to try the hardware though so I can't comment on how close it gets to it. The compression action of Coral is definitely "unique". It's very good for rather invisible glue and stability. One of my favorite compressors in the Acustica Audio range (that and the Amethyst compressor).

However, I do not recommend Acustica Audio plugins unless you get the demo 100% working. Their plugins require a lot of hardware resources (not just CPU.. you need a lot of RAM too) and are quite a chore to use so if the demo impresses you enough, then sure, go for it.. but otherwise stay clear. They are definitely not plugins you purchase on a whim.
Thanks for that I've tried few but I wasn't impressed. There its some weight with them but also something strange artificial. Diamond for example sounds harsh.

I will check the Dmg as u mentioned for now.The softube drawmer its nice but its very expensive as well..

Try Airwindows Transdesk into Airwindows Logical! Haven't tried the UAD but deffo nicer than the Waves option... I actually like stacking the 2 Logical's - one set up "normally" for control (ratio of 4 ish, fully or nearly fully wet) and one at full ratio where it adds quite a lot of zing and almost reverse compression but only about 10% wet). Airwindows Surge tide with both controls at about .2 adds a little teeny bit of magic as well. When you find the sweet spots the Airwindows stuff sounds super alive to my ears... love it on the two bus and it's replaced pretty much everything else in my workflow. If you want something more 'normal' transdesk into The Glue would be a super option I think.

lacandon wrote: Ik plugs are nice gems was my tools when I was beginner but their emulations have distinct ik sharp sound. I don't think they are experts when it comes to modelling.Still nice plugins the Sontec it's nice..
We're far from beginner tools and have been doing this longer (and stepping up every step of the way) than most mentioned here and are far from beginner tools. Thanks for the Sontec shoutout but you may want to try our plugins again, especially in the SSL context since we've got people like Tom Lord-Alge who is a veteran mixer and one of the most SSL-based guys out there and he's a raving fan of T-RackS.

If something sounds "sharp" that would likely be because the actual unit (we use the real hardware, always, and while that may cost a lot for some of the vintage units it is worth it - plus our guys not only code but many are experts in building and repairing high end studio gear and have been doing that too for decades - in fact the Opto Compressor is a model of a unit hand-built by the man who is now our CTO as he's the main brains behind our modeling prowess and advancement over the past couple of decades). You just won't get the same accuracy using schematics and sound examples and/or have never actually used the actual hardware.

Anyway, thanks for the mastering EQ shoutout and "gems" comment but I wanted to make sure you were aware of the trajectory our world-class modeling technology has followed over the course of time.

"I use Mjuc more on channels especially kick drum the drive its amazing its much better then sdrr saturation."

sdrr to me shine as a input/output stage, try it with clean eq/comp or what ever, pre and post of every clean plugin .. (so i use lot of sdrr ) in digital mode , it can smooth the transients similar to transfomers and the drift is perfect to add less sterile sound, more lively analog caractere

i beat many times nebula eq with sdrr and some emulation, cause the major difference between some algo emulation and nebula is in the transient / color / dynamic and sdrr is a great tool for all this speically when used pre/ post of plugins, don t use like usual saturator,, it s one of my best plugin, but not as a" saturator" but as a subbtle analogizer to get ride of digitis, it can give a good otb sound caractere

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
lacandon wrote: Ik plugs are nice gems was my tools when I was beginner but their emulations have distinct ik sharp sound. I don't think they are experts when it comes to modelling.Still nice plugins the Sontec it's nice..
We're far from beginner tools and have been doing this longer (and stepping up every step of the way) than most mentioned here and are far from beginner tools. Thanks for the Sontec shoutout but you may want to try our plugins again, especially in the SSL context since we've got people like Tom Lord-Alge who is a veteran mixer and one of the most SSL-based guys out there and he's a raving fan of T-RackS.

If something sounds "sharp" that would likely be because the actual unit (we use the real hardware, always, and while that may cost a lot for some of the vintage units it is worth it - plus our guys not only code but many are experts in building and repairing high end studio gear and have been doing that too for decades - in fact the Opto Compressor is a model of a unit hand-built by the man who is now our CTO as he's the main brains behind our modeling prowess and advancement over the past couple of decades). You just won't get the same accuracy using schematics and sound examples and/or have never actually used the actual hardware.

Anyway, thanks for the mastering EQ shoutout and "gems" comment but I wanted to make sure you were aware of the trajectory our world-class modeling technology has followed over the course of time.
Never said ur plugins are for beginners I used them when I was beginner and had very decent results tracks ver.2.Ur own homebred plugins are nice ur emulations are not on the level of the leading developers but they are good plugins.Your developers might find more accurate techniques to capture the characteristics of the hw certain developers are 98 percent there.Your plugins still sound a bit like plugins imo.They are missing the effortless sound of the hw.The Manley got the compression spot on but the.color its not as warm and that's what Vary Mu is all about warming up the source.

Sometimes when developers claim they nailed it I really question their hearing or conversion monitoring setup.I've noticed that some developers use cheap gear to test plugins.I don't think anything less then very pristine setup would reveal the true differences.
Alex b tough have phenomenal converters the way his Massive Passive sounds its just astonishingly accurate.

Return to “Effects”