Opinions of the McDSP plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Opinions of these plugins?

My first concern is the installation: it seems, that these plugins do not let you define where they install.
Can this be the case? For me this may be the dealbreaker.
(Their support is sleeping.)

https://mcdsp.com/support_faq/#Question1Install

Quallity wise they are allright but not in the top overpriced compare to what others bring

Some of them are very good imho. They are expensive, but can be acquired pretty cheaply with frequent sales.

They generally have excellent sound, latency and efficiency. It’s true, you can not set the installation dir, although you can easily place them where ever you want after installing.
Definitely it’s annoying, but I assure you, they don’t care. They also will not provide presets for VST 2.4 plugins, the reason is that there is no official format for them, again they don’t care.
On windows at least, their VST 3 versions are very poor and IME problematic with many DAWs.

Seems like they suck, no doubt.

Unfortunately, they don’t, much of their stuff is top notch, and often in a league of its own when it comes to things like efficiency and low latency.

I find them annoying, but also quite often indispensable, I own most of them actually.

Good luck.

-cheers

pekbro wrote:Some of them are very good imho. They are expensive, but can be acquired pretty cheaply with frequent sales.

They generally have excellent sound, latency and efficiency. It’s true, you can not set the installation dir, although you can easily place them where ever you want after installing.
Definitely it’s annoying, but I assure you, they don’t care. They also will not provide presets for VST 2.4 plugins, the reason is that there is no official format for them, again they don’t care.
On windows at least, their VST 3 versions are very poor and IME problematic with many DAWs.

Seems like they suck, no doubt.

Unfortunately, they don’t, much of their stuff is top notch, and often in a league of its own when it comes to things like efficiency and low latency.

I find them annoying, but also quite often indispensable, I own most of them actually.

Good luck.

-cheers
Interestinly ambivalent evaluation.
Thank you for the info concerning the installation - I though I must have been mistaken, its hard to believe that the plugin installer is let out of option for the content location.
If I got this your comment correctly, you can move both the content/data and the vst to your preferred location after the installation? In some cases moving any part after the intallation distroyes the plugin functionality, the application can´t find its data etc. Especially if the installer spreads part of the aplication to different folders, then its even hard to locate all the plugin pieces.
The McDSP staff appears to be some cheeky b******s :clown:

Yup aside from the ProTools versions, you can move stuff where ever without any trouble.
They are Mac / ProTools developers first and foremost, thats the reason for many things.

Anyway, don't discount them, if they work for you, make no mistake they are really some of the best.
Particularly when it come to heavy dynamics processing, very little can touch them when it comes
to quality vs efficiency / latency.

They promised to fix a preset browser issue on windows 7. I waited and waited. Wrote in again, and they eventually told me that they couldn't fix it. I haven't purchased a McDSP plugin since. I don't have 100% confidence in their abilities.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I'm on a mac/Logic and I don't have install issues. I have a fair number of McDSP plugins and I think they are very nice. They have their own sound and compliment everything else I have. Their multi-band compressor and limiter sound really nice. I like to use ML8000 as first-stage limiter and then a transparent stereo true limiter on the output, for mastering purposes. The Retros and the other compressor configurations I use when mixing and have a nice warm but but overly-fat sound.

plexuss wrote:I'm on a mac/Logic and I don't have install issues. I have a fair number of McDSP plugins and I think they are very nice. They have their own sound and compliment everything else I have. Their multi-band compressor and limiter sound really nice. I like to use ML8000 as first-stage limiter and then a transparent stereo true limiter on the output, for mastering purposes. The Retros and the other compressor configurations I use when mixing and have a nice warm but but overly-fat sound.
Interesting. But the installer works in the Mac, how hard is to do an installer, which works in the Win, too?
873 other developers have managed to implement that, why not the McDSP guys? :dog:

Definitely, they have issue with development under windows. I would guess it's not
about their abilities, rather more about their affinity for the Mac and ProTools vs
practical indifference towards windows and VST. They are Mac snobs, without a doubt.

I would bet, that the issue is specific to Windows 7 and they simply aren't willing
to bother with it.

I thought they have a subscription too, which I find tempting. However, I am on Windows 7 :oops:

pekbro wrote:Definitely, they have issue with development under windows. I would guess it's not
about their abilities, rather more about their affinity for the Mac and ProTools vs
practical indifference towards windows and VST. They are Mac snobs, without a doubt.

I would bet, that the issue is specific to Windows 7 and they simply aren't willing
to bother with it.
So, the preset-issue is WIn 7 -spesific, but the non-option-of-the-installation-location -issue is all-Win
generic. :help: :help: :help:
Where does the installer put the data/application? Is it in one location or spread in several places?

Sorry, I was talking about the browser thing. The VST 2 preset issue, is that there is
no official (according to them) specification for them. They are adhering to
the spec and thats it.

They could easily make presets as (.fxp), I have even offered them fully
converted sets for a couple plugins, they have no interest.

Fortunately, you can do it yourself without too much trouble.

*I don't believe they install any data other than the presets, which is why you can move
them or delete what you don't need without any problems. You will likely have to do
that, as it will install everything like it or not. Unless you're using ProTools, you'll
probably want to remove the AAX and RTAS versions.

Wikid stuff for the most part. I thought they were insider standard-ish. The only reason I got my first (6030) was because of what it can do, and came well recommended by Dave Pensado for a great way to learn different styles of compression - some are heavily colored, some very bright... I got it half-off its then $300-something and haven't regretted it a day.

Read reviews - it's certainly not your ordinary plugin maker. Their filters/eqs are supposed to be very clean. Maybe looking myself...

pekbro wrote:Sorry, I was talking about the browser thing. The VST 2 preset issue, is that there is
no official (according to them) specification for them. They are adhering to
the spec and thats it.

They could easily make presets as (.fxp), I have even offered them fully
converted sets for a couple plugins, they have no interest.

Fortunately, you can do it yourself without too much trouble.

*I don't believe they install any data other than the presets, which is why you can move
them or delete what you don't need without any problems. You will likely have to do
that, as it will install everything like it or not. Unless you're using ProTools, you'll
probably want to remove the AAX and RTAS versions.

I puchased the Fuzzbox and noticed the preset issue, too. I think its really bad policy that neither the McDSP nor the JRR does not mention this defect/incompatibility of the preset format.
I have sent a note both of them.
In some plugins the preset are less important, but in the multieffect such as the Fuzzbox is, there are hundreds of presets, including artist presets.

If you can give me link to the free preset converter, or even have the Fuzzbox presets to send me, I would be grateful. I´m on the Win 10.

BTW - after the presets are converted, is there some more convinient way to open the preset, than import/load in via the Win folder. I´m on the Live 9.

I'm interested in the converted presets too. :)
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Return to “Effects”