Do you like your "bass" in the kick or the bass?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jordonpmusic wrote:For my house music kick = 40-68hz, bass = 70hz - 120hz.

These are both bass. So both!

Similar here for all types of music. I like a kick to hit around the 60 mark. Hits you right in the chest. Basslines will cover the rest of the lower freqs.

It depends on the genres, but generally kick is to give the beat, and the bass is coming from the bass instrument.
A good rule of thumb is to make the bass notes shorter if the kick sample is long, and vice versa. In such case, there will be enough sonic spectrum and the dynamical depth will be achieved.

I remember back in the day when kick drums used to be called bass drums. So there's my answer. I think.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ramseysounds wrote:I remember back in the day when kick drums used to be called bass drums. So there's my answer. I think.
I assume the kick drum is only one type of bass drum. Originally bass drums were carried around and played with a hand-held stick, not via a foot pedal. Hence they were not as big, especially not in terms of depth, and thus had less bass than a modern kick drum.

no one likes a kick in the balls.

vurt wrote:no one likes a kick in the balls.

This kung-fu master is known as "Iron Crotch", apparently ... :ud:

that looks more like come dancing and the one in blue has gone jump n kick when he was supposed to dive and be caught for the finale than any kung fu ive been part of.

anyway, that's his job, doesn't mean he likes it.

I wonder what happens if I press this button...

from a dance / techno perspective, if i'm using one of those big slow sweeping power kicks (like a lot of the classic vengeance kicks), i'll put a short sine under the attack, hopefully around the same key as the kicks finishing (prominent) frequency.
i do this because with these slow sweeping kicks, there is some milliseconds before it actually sweeps down to the sub, and i've actually been in small clubs where the acoustics wasn't good enough, and i literally wasn't able to dance because in some tracks, the sub was totally out of sync with the beat, and just sounded stupid to me. i mean, in some tracks, the sub doesn't arrive until the second 16th or later.
so i usually put a sine under the kick, so it always has that instant sub punch.

i'm noticing a lot of modern kicks are also getting around this problem, so it's good to know it isn't just me :lol:

Coming from a house/techno/dance perspective, I'd say both. I want both of them to be really solid and I want a good interplay between the parts. A four on the floor kick drum sounds boring after a while, but I also think that a strong bassline doesn't work that well along with a lighter kick that doesn't mark well the rhythm...
I just want a good balance between the parts and a solid and deep and yet punchy bottom.
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

(electronic music here). When you look in a spectrum analyzer you will usually see the kick transient punching above the bass - usually. I'm looking for a strong kick as a higher priority over "fat" bass but you can have both.

There are times where a stronger bass and more understated, weak-ish kick can really work nicely together - like in down-tempo/ambient leaning beat music.

I dont know what the eff you're eff'n on about

The kick and bass are like a melody on their own. Usually I prefer the kick higher up so the bass is more subby and tonal, for harmony. Having less subs on both is also nice, it's sometimes better to hear the harmonics rather than feel the energy. If the sub frequencies are slow and sloppy, it can disrupt the rhythm.

Return to “Production Techniques”