Acoustica: About the Clip Editor

Official support for: acondigital.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here I would like to mention some observations when using the Clip Editor.

The first one: The waveform visualization in the Clip Editor is to my mind (= for my eyes) quite blurry, in the sense that the contrast between the (yellow) wave and the (grey/black) background is not so sharp/clear as it should be in order to work with the editor precisely. Of course I do not mean the contrast of the colours (which is o.k.) but the sharpness of the edges of the wave.

Here the part of a waveform with Acoustica:

And here approximately the same part (and approximately the same zoom) with Audacity:

Perhaps I should have chosen an example with bigger amplitudes and a bigger zoom but I think the difference is visible here too: The waveform in Audacity is significantly clearer/sharper.

Or here the example of another waveform and another editor (Diamond Cut):

I think that Acoustica should improve the optical quality of the waveform visualization. At the moment I try to avoid the usage of Acoustica for editing files because it is more tiring for the eyes and more cumbersome to edit precisely than doing this e.g. with the editor of Audacity.

I add my voice to requesting a more clear wave form in the clip editor.

with thanks,

Plush

Hmm -- I think it's the anti-aliasing that you don't like. Anti-aliasing is usually considered to be easier on the eye and provides better resolution since you can simulate thinner lines than the pixel size would normally allow by using intermediate colours. It would be possible to add an option for this in the preferences, though.

Best,
Stian

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hi Stian,

I see. So it's not a bug but a feature. :D

Indeed searching for anti-aliasing I found an interesting image in the german Wikipedia:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antialias ... tergrafik) (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antialiasing_%28Computergrafik%29)

In the upper right corner are two pictures with coloured eggs: the upper one is without anti-aliasing, the lower one with anti-aliasing. The difference are (as in the case of the waveforms) especially the edges of the object which are smoother with anti-aliasing and sharper without it.

If you can really add an option for showing the waveform without anti-aliasing, it would be great. At least my eyes definitely prefer the sharper edges.

Hi!
Clearsound wrote:I see. So it's not a bug but a feature. :D
Indeed! :)
Clearsound wrote:If you can really add an option for showing the waveform without anti-aliasing, it would be great. At least my eyes definitely prefer the sharper edges.
Yes, we can add that option. I cannot make any promises regarding time frame, but I've added it to our bug tracking system.

Best,
Stian

Return to “Acon Digital”