Strange indexing error in Ableton 10

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone else been having an issue with this?

Since the last couple of days, within a minute of loading up Live i get a window open saying something to the effect of "A serious error has occurred, Live will terminate when you close this window. Restart to send an error report." But when i close the window, Live doesn't terminate and restarting it doesn't open the error report panel.

The big problem though is that whenever i save a project file it doesn't appear in the browser. Even when i restart Live the project folder will only show files saved prior to this issue starting a few days ago. I can open them from Windows explorer but not from within Live. I'm not sure but i think it may have coincided with the last Win10 update.

Any suggestions? I know i should probably contact Ableton but I'm not gonna have time to make a proper detailed report for a few days so if anyone here has any ideas to try in the meantime i'm all ears.

Did you install any new plugins recently?

Good point, it might be since i installed Sonar/Cakewalk with the instruments pack. Maybe i'll try removing that when i get home tomorrow.

I did get a "serious error has occurred" message two or three days ago, but restarting Ableton worked and the error panel came up. I didn't send in an error report, though, as I always want to duplicate a problem first and it hasn't happened again.

Projects not showing up in your browser is strange. They either didn't get saved, or got saved to a different location. Do your new projects show in the 'Recently Opened Projects' list and they are able to open from that menu?

They are definitely being saved in the correct location, I can open them directly through Windows just not within Live's browser. It only happens when i save as a new file, if i save over the older file then it will open as the latest saved version. I haven't checked "recently opened," i shall try that when i get home.

I don't actually think it's an issue with VSTs as it scans plugins upon loading as per usual. It seems to be when it tries to scan "places" afterwards that it gets stuck.

I'm getting some database issues all of a sudden
- nothing appears in places for folders i added manually
- clicking on a project I get "the file "" could not be opened"

any way to blow the index away and re-create?

There's a db file in AppData -> Local -> Ableton -> Live Database

I tried moving that and letting it rebuild it from scratch but it just gave me loads of empty folders where the projects should be, by all means try it but make sure you backup the original.

I've tried quite a few things since my previous post including the suggestions above. Project files do show in the "recently opened" list which is handy. I've tried removing any recent project folders incase something had been corrupted but no luck. I'm reasonably confident it's got something to do with the latest Win10 update, i just don't know how easy it is to roll that back.

Well hopefully the next ableton release will address it

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”