Sundog Song Studio 3.0 coming soon - sneak peak time!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Sundog Song Studio

oh wow, what a bunch of hogwash.
THE INTRANCER wrote:There is no right or wrong way to produce a piece of music but if you are removing the individuality that you as a producer is able to convey through the expression that you yourself have within, that you may otherwise be able to express through actually playing an actual instrument.
so, ummm... please correct me if i'm wrong, but are you implying that if a person didn't play an instrument he has wrote music for, his music somehow "lacks individuality" or "expression from within"? you know, like all of those old-time guys who wrote music for orchestra whilst being able to play hardly any instruments within that orchestra?
THE INTRANCER wrote:Than you are without arguably cheating yourself from developing the skills required and to have a real meaningful reflection of your abilities that you, yourself will appreciate, as well as thus without cheating your listeners into thinking that you have real talent, when you don't because you're using tools that negates that...
developing writing skills is separate from developing performance skills, and not having done the former doesn't mean you don't have the latter.
THE INTRANCER wrote:And I don't think there is a saxophonist in this world, who can't play the keyboard as they are fundamentally the same in that they are both played vie the finger tips.
what. the. actual.... that's like saying, any guitarist can play harp because both involve plucking strings. sure, they are both "fundamentally" the same (whatever the f**k that means), but that right there tells me that you not only have never played a saxophone, but haven't even considered educating yourself about actual mechanics of playing saxophone before spouting nonsense such as this (hint: saxophone is not a keytar).
THE INTRANCER wrote:As for chords and scales, you can spend a lifetime discovering them and how to use them together yet you may never need to ever know what these are, and there thousands if not millions of combinations one can discover whilst actually playing a keyboard.
so? are you implying that the scales you "discovered whilst playing keyboard" are somehow better than those you discover through other means?
THE INTRANCER wrote:I'm self taught on the keys, and musically I produce music that I like to listen to and put great effort into producing either emotionally, technically or both... and discovering chords and combinations through actually playing is both what triggers inspiration and drive to compose music in the first place. These types of programs ride against that real self discovery one has.
you keep making this assertion, but can you at least provide some reasoning as to why that would be the case? as others pointed out, so far all you've engaged in is snobbery.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

@DrGonzo

For me it isn't actually such a bloody subject, but what if everybody quit everything they're not good at. Like I said, I'm doing it because I think it's fun, not to earn money, because that I know I will never do. I have a pretty well paid job (hence I can purchase a lot of tools to play with). I understand what you mean about helping tools and not "feeling it". Myself, I can't name a tone when I hear it. I hear the difference between them of course when played, but if someone presses A, I can't tell it's an A. So some tools keep me staying in the correct scale, other ones with the chord progressions, and other's with harmonies. Without them completely, I would be pretty lost :)

The problem I see though, is that maybe I lean to much on the help from them, getting too comfortable (and this might be a part which THE INTRANCER wanted to touch, but did it in a strange way). If you get too comfortable, you will never learn. But since I'm more or less tone deaf, it's a relief for me that these tools exists, and probably for everybody else in my situation.

You are right though, simple three to four chords sequences can sound fantastic using the right sound, even the simplest chords with only three notes. But from here, I need at least some help to keep me in the correct scale, adding new tracks to the song.

I would never use pre-compiled malody or bass loops myself, that's where I draw the line. I use a lot of percussion loops though, and sometimes midi loops to get me started, but I'm always changing the note sequence and sometimes the scale of course.

What is a Swede doing in Hungary btw? :)
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote:@DrGonzo

For me it isn't actually such a bloody subject, but what if everybody quit everything they're not good at. Like I said, I'm doing it because I think it's fun, not to earn money, because that I know I will never do. I have a pretty well paid job (hence I can purchase a lot of tools to play with). I understand what you mean about helping tools and not "feeling it". Myself, I can't name a tone when I hear it. I hear the difference between them of course when played, but if someone presses A, I can't tell it's an A. So some tools keep me staying in the correct scale, other ones with the chord progressions, and other's with harmonies. Without them completely, I would be pretty lost :)

The problem I see though, is that maybe I lean to much on the help from them, getting too comfortable (and this might be a part which THE INTRANCER wanted to touch, but did it in a strange way). If you get too comfortable, you will never learn. But since I'm more or less tone deaf, it's a relief for me that these tools exists, and probably for everybody else in my situation.

You are right though, simple three to four chords sequences can sound fantastic using the right sound, even the simplest chords with only three notes. But from here, I need at least some help to keep me in the correct scale, adding new tracks to the song.

I would never use pre-compiled malody or bass loops myself, that's where I draw the line. I use a lot of percussion loops though, and sometimes midi loops to get me started, but I'm always changing the note sequence and sometimes the scale of course.

What is a Swede doing in Hungary btw? :)
As long as you are having fun you are doing good I say.

I don't mean to make fun of your "tone-deafness" but have you thought on starting making techno? Or any hybrid variations of techno? While most genres relies on harmonies quite a lot - techno is approaching music from the other end of the spectrum.

Have you seen this video? Always cracks me up :)

https://youtu.be/rlicX-Ao7u8

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

No offense taken, so don't worry :) I'm not trying to create a specific style, and every time I try I end up with something completely different. Techno does not appeal to me much either, even if I have a really wide spectra of music I like. But maybe some variation of course that is a little bit more diverse.

Yeah, I remember that video, and there are other as well :)
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

I'm self taught on the keys, and musically I produce music that I like to listen to and put great effort into producing either emotionally, technically or both... and discovering chords and combinations through actually playing is both what triggers inspiration and drive to compose music in the first place. These types of programs ride against that real self discovery one has.
Gosh. Thankfully the world is not full of Stepford clones who go through life thinking that there's only ever way to do anything. :shrug:

For things like Sundog I would pass on this advice: if you don't need it, ignore it. Your opinion on things that you may have no personal use for in any way have no practical value whatsoever. It is not your domain to tell others how to express their musical ideas. You are not Mozart or anyone special. Get over yourself.

P.S. You might try a little "self discovery" for yourself, your out of control ego and over-inflated self image. :hihi:

To the Sundog developer, nice work this. Ignore the self serving ramblings of those who never have and never will create anything of practical value for anyone. :tu:

Unfortunately I think this thread is derailing... :(

LawrenceF wrote: To the Sundog developer, nice work this. Ignore the self serving ramblings of those who never have and never will create anything of practical value for anyone. :tu:
Songwriting software: Sundog Song Studio (standalone) | MelodicFlow (plug-in) | ChordPotion (plug-in) | XotoPad (Windows touch app)

LawrenceF wrote: To the Sundog developer, nice work this. Ignore the self serving ramblings of those who never have and never will create anything of practical value for anyone. :tu:
Didn't think you would stoop so low to spout absolute lies about other people on forums, you know it, there's people on here that know it, and those on other forums who I've been part of and visit this forum that know it...

Don't like my views and opinions on a product.. fine, I'm not here to snuggle up with other developers, but don't try and spread lies about people out of spite...
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote:
Didn't think you would stoop so low to spout absolute lies about other people on forums, you know it, there's people on here that know it, and those on other forums who I've been part of and visit this forum that know it...

Don't like my views and opinions on a product.. fine, I'm not here to snuggle up with other developers, but don't try and spread lies about people out of spite...
Hauke, great work on the latest version of Sundog! I’ve had ten years of formal piano lessons, four years of clarinet, and also guitar. I’ve been playing instruments for 42 years, but I still find your product to be of tremendous value!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

THE INTRANCER wrote:Don't like my views and opinions on a product.. fine, I'm not here to snuggle up with other developers, but don't try and spread lies about people out of spite...
What lies? I implied that you are full of yourself and just about every post of yours here and everywhere else and even your handle being in all caps and signature and repeatedly saying "I this and I that" every five minutes supports that. It's not spite. You're not that important for anyone to be spiteful over.

"Other developers"????? Since when are you a "developer" of anything but the same image mockups that you keep rolling out every few months all over the internet? Please, share some of your source code oh great one.

deastman wrote:Hauke, great work on the latest version of Sundog! I’ve had ten years of formal piano lessons, four years of clarinet, and also guitar. I’ve been playing instruments for 42 years, but I still find your product to be of tremendous value!
This. I think it's a great accomplishment. I wish I had the skill to do it. :tu:

deastman wrote: Hauke, great work on the latest version of Sundog! I’ve had ten years of formal piano lessons, four years of clarinet, and also guitar. I’ve been playing instruments for 42 years, but I still find your product to be of tremendous value!
Thanks, deastman :party: :)!!

Personally I am very happy that Sundog seems to add value for both novice musicians and seasoned professionals. I try to keep the user interface and the general workflow as straightforward as possible (so that everybody can get started quickly), but I am quite sure that power-users will find more than a few ways to get creative with the advanced features ;).
Songwriting software: Sundog Song Studio (standalone) | MelodicFlow (plug-in) | ChordPotion (plug-in) | XotoPad (Windows touch app)

helpful tool

nerd wrote:helpful tool

is there a way to shift patterns to the right or left?
I have a pattern that is a length of 32, and i want to shift it to the left by 8...
doing it manually is gonna take me ages.
cheers

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”