16,000 BBC Sound Effects Free

For discussion and announcements of soundware - patches, presets, soundsets, soundbanks, loop libraries, construction kits, MIDI libraries, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For non-commercial use

http://bbcsfx.acropolis.org.uk

"These 16,016 BBC Sound Effects are made available by the BBC in WAV format to download for use under the terms of the RemArc Licence. The Sound Effects are BBC copyright, but they may be used for personal, educational or research purposes, as detailed in the license."

:phones:
바보

...so not for commercial music releases :dog:

But wait, is a track with 0 sales figure considered commercial? :scared:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Wow! What a resource. The few files I've randomly downloaded to check out are of very high quality (stereo and 32-bit float .wav format). Thank you for this!

Will take a look. Thank you. :)
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

*cancels all work for two weeks*

:hihi:

Some serious mangling work to do here, thanks for the link 8)

Any bright sparks worked a way to bulk download yet?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote:Any bright sparks worked a way to bulk download yet?
I'd be happy just to be able to download a text file or spreadsheet that contained a list of all the sounds so I could leisurely peruse them offline. Did I miss something or is there a way to do that?

This would be awesome...if we could actually use them in our tracks without having to be concerned about breaking copyright. :shrug:

read the fine print in the license. you need to clear any samples for commercial use. but i guess if mangled you can hide well enough.

most of the remarc license seems to be geared at visual material ... but ultimately this is the crux of the license for us sound types:

"For non-commercial, personal or research purposes"

I'm not really concerned about it, I sample shit all the time ... if my bandcamp music would get flagged, I'd remove the sample and move on with my life.

I somehow remember them doing this a while back... this isn't new, is it?

In any case, why wouldn't they just release this under the GPL or otherwise make them public domain? The (apparent) usage restrictions seem unnecessary.
A well-behaved signature.

Mushy Mushy wrote:Any bright sparks worked a way to bulk download yet?
Maybe something like DownThemAll or similar? You'd still have to use per page though.. but if you change the settings on the website to 100 entries per page, it will be "only" 161 pages.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

JerGoertz wrote: In any case, why wouldn't they just release this under the GPL or otherwise make them public domain? The (apparent) usage restrictions seem unnecessary.
the BBC are very, very uptight about licensing since they're, effectively, non-commercial and funded pretty much entirely by the tv-license - though they sell broadcasting rights to some programs internationally (the quaintly racist shit-fest 'top gear' being a prime example). they do not have shareholders, and they do not broadcast commercials.

all that means they're a pretty uptight organisation in general. if they made these sfx, field & foley recordings public domain you can be guaranteed some uptight crumpet scoffing dweeb with a british tv license would be causing a massive stink about it. the recreational outrage is very strong amongst british tv license owners and the activities of the BBC.

I reckon.

There is a javascript file included in the page http://bbcsfx.acropolis.org.uk/main.js which reveals some nice info :

Here is a CSV file with all files included :
http://bbcsfx.acropolis.org.uk/assets/B ... ffects.csv

Download each file with the following URL synthax :
http://bbcsfx.acropolis.org.uk/assets/07037403.wav

Daags wrote:
JerGoertz wrote: In any case, why wouldn't they just release this under the GPL or otherwise make them public domain? The (apparent) usage restrictions seem unnecessary.
the BBC are very, very uptight about licensing since they're, effectively, non-commercial and funded pretty much entirely by the tv-license - though they sell broadcasting rights to some programs internationally (the quaintly racist shit-fest 'top gear' being a prime example). they do not have shareholders, and they do not broadcast commercials.

all that means they're a pretty uptight organisation in general. if they made these sfx, field & foley recordings public domain you can be guaranteed some uptight crumpet scoffing dweeb with a british tv license would be causing a massive stink about it. the recreational outrage is very strong amongst british tv license owners and the activities of the BBC.

I reckon.
Not doubting you here, but that's a totally different world from the States. Ah well...
A well-behaved signature.

Return to “Soundware”