Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Poly-Ana

thecontrolcentre wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:What do you mean by analog bass? Like on which song?
I used Poly-Ana for everything except drums on this track ...
https://dangerousorange.bandcamp.com/tr ... point-edit
Sounds a bit dark :) But not due to the sound of PA as such :hihi:

chk071 wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote: Does it have 0df filters? Not that I needed them, but people keep saying they are superior to older filters...
Judge for yourself... you have TAL-Noisemaker (the SVF filter is zero delay feedback), and TAL-MOD, which also has zdf filters. If they're superior in general, well... i think they are superior when it comes to resonance behavior, and very fast/audio rate modulation, where they don't "break apart", like non-zdf filters (all that if done right, of course). But, in general, zdf or not, i think filters have come a long way, and are much better now than 10 years before. Best filter i heard in software is the one in Monark, and that one is zdf for sure.

Whether or not Poly-Ana has zdf filters, i don't know. My guess would be no, because, it's already pretty old, and, i doubt the dev has "adapted" to new technology.
It's my understanding that at least the oscillators of P-A were implemented in a nonstandard way, which gave a better sound (in many cases) at the cost of CPU usage and sometimes noticeable aliasing in the higher registers. There may be something similar about the filter implementation.
A well-behaved signature.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:What do you mean by analog bass? Like on which song?
Its for a soundtrack. The final showdown at the end ...

thecontrolcentre wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
Just out of curiosity, since you are on Bandcamp, how many people actually buy such a track or album? 10's, 100's, 1000's? :)

thecontrolcentre wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
Just out of curiosity, since you are on Bandcamp, how many people actually buy such a track or album? 10's, 100's, 1000's? :)
That particular track ... nobody's bought it. I've sold more "albums" than individual tracks. Not very many tho' ...

chk071 wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote: Does it have 0df filters? Not that I needed them, but people keep saying they are superior to older filters...
Judge for yourself... you have TAL-Noisemaker (the SVF filter is zero delay feedback), and TAL-MOD, which also has zdf filters. If they're superior in general, well... i think they are superior when it comes to resonance behavior, and very fast/audio rate modulation, where they don't "break apart", like non-zdf filters (all that if done right, of course). But, in general, zdf or not, i think filters have come a long way, and are much better now than 10 years before. Best filter i heard in software is the one in Monark, and that one is zdf for sure.

Whether or not Poly-Ana has zdf filters, i don't know. My guess would be no, because, it's already pretty old, and, i doubt the dev has "adapted" to new technology.
Last new update 2017-07-03 http://www.admiralquality.com/poly-ana- ... s/#changes so pretty new i think. What ever it does sounds great!! :love:

I like Ingo's skin but the blue is kind of too much inmyface, so I turned it grey:

wish I could sell my license for this vsti.

dvnation wrote:I like Ingo's skin but the blue is kind of too much inmyface, so I turned it grey:

Thats cool. Can I download it somewhere?

SMH wrote:
chk071 wrote:

Last new update 2017-07-03 http://www.admiralquality.com/poly-ana- ... s/#changes so pretty new i think. What ever it does sounds great!! :love:
Beside all that new and old and zero and not zero latency discussion...

...even Urs U-HE synths are old. He created some of the Synth when cowboys still rode on dinosaurs and they are around for ages, like POYLY-ANA. Maybe thats the reason why DIVA has gotten "her" name :hihi:

Yes some U-HE Filters sound great. POLY-ANAs filter sounds great too. In the end, I absolutely don´t care what technical knick-knack is pottering under the hood of a hard- or software-synth. I even like Anti-Aliasing in synth-sound (remember the glorious WALDORF wavetable monsters). In the end all that matters for me is what a synth can do and how it sounds AND feels. DIVA and REPRO 1/5 sound fantastic and POLY-ANA sounds fantastic. Would I have to choose it would be POLY-ANA because it simply feels more like a real analog machine for me and not so clean. Thats a good thing for U-HE and for ADMIRAL QUALITY because they complement each other. For sure I don´t need another synth with the same sounding quality I already own.

I still got a ROLAND JUNO 106, a DOEPFER, a KORG POLISIX, a KORG MS-20, a WALDORF PULSE1 (beside all my 80th digital hardware synth), a friend of mine has some MOOGs which I could play and I have touched several more real analog units in my life (first synth I got in the early 90th) and I got a decent audio-monitoring environment and think I can judge some things quite well.

Simply said: POLY-ANA nails it totally for me when it comes to the "feel" a real analog synth is giving you while fiddling with its knobs and sliders. Don´t get me wrong. Urs Synth...I love them!...but they offer another feel when playing around with them and concerning the "real" analog approach...POLY-ANA is a clear leader for me. Again I have to state the sensational bottom end...unreached by every VST-Synth I ever heard...and I heard many.

BUT...please consider that I am not a friend of comparisons which have the goal to state XY is "better" than XY because I think there are no unusable Synth. And I don´t think concepts of "better" and "worse" are so good. "Good" and "bad" are just 2 sides of the same coin for me. Just concepts, not a thing to realy build a scale out of it and state it as universal truth. A general assessment is useless due to the fact that it will propably be based on emotional reactions based on your preferences based on sympathy and antipathy (and that is a complicated genesis).

So finally I can state you can do great things with every sound making machine and of course every object (musique concrete) that you can record a sound from including the environment. The technical background is really the last thing I do care for when it comes to sound-design.

Joyful modulating

nichttuntun wrote:
dvnation wrote:I like Ingo's skin but the blue is kind of too much inmyface, so I turned it grey:

My "Flatland" skin for Poly-Ana (the original with the grey and blue colors) was done back in 2015 and is available here at KVR in the download section for Poly-Ana:
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/poly-an ... /downloads
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:
nichttuntun wrote:

My "Flatland" skin for Poly-Ana (the original with the grey and blue colors) was done back in 2015 and is available here at KVR in the download section for Poly-Ana:
Thank you. I didn't find the two colours. I had used the download link at KVR at first and just copied the skin folder at the right place and the skin was blue. Maybe your link is another version? I appreciate your work and I think I can feel your affinity towards the PPG synth :)

Maybe you could consider to make the OSCS sync buttons more clear. I searched them for a good while :o

I also think this skin isn't representing the synth general sound BUT I do not care too much because it is a great help for programming (it´s bigger than the original) what is the main aspect for me. :tu: :party:

Hi Ingonator.

I have some other points I regognized using your skin and I want to very kindly ask whether there maybe a possibility that you may change these features:

- in general I think the buttons look more like input-holes for cables rather than buttons what is a bit confusing.

- over the Env1, 2 and Env3 there are 3 further buttons but they are not labeled. It would be nice if the user would be told what they do.

- in general your big skin is a big improvement over the original skin but the fonts-size still is small on a 1900/1080 screen. Is it possible to make the general GUI size even bigger to have the option to make the fonts bigger?

- the fonts (and the display-size) size at "programm selection", "parameter display" and "active voices" are far too small. Especially in the first case this is stressing for the eyes because thats a parameter I look very often while turning knobs.

Hope you don´t feel compromised by my suggestions/ wishes and I am looking forward for your answer :oops:

joyful modulation

nichttuntun wrote:
Ingonator wrote:
nichttuntun wrote:

Thank you. I didn't find the two colours. I had used the download link at KVR at first and just copied the skin folder at the right place and the skin was blue. Maybe your link is another version? I appreciate your work and I think I can feel your affinity towards the PPG synth :)

Maybe you could consider to make the OSCS sync buttons more clear. I searched them for a good while :o

I also think this skin isn't representing the synth general sound BUT I do not care too much because it is a great help for programming (it´s bigger than the original) what is the main aspect for me. :tu: :party:
The skin is almost 3 years old and actually Poly-Ana was my first and only synth trying to do my own skin for so i am not at all a professional in doing skins...

There were 4 main points i had in myind when doingf that specific skin:
- eliminate all "pseudo 3D" stuff and have a strict 2D skin (that's why i called it "Flatland"...) which is inspired by Valhalla DSP FX plugins design
- re-arrange all modules/sections to have the audio path at the top and modulations at the lower part of the GUI (opposing to most other skins that are available which are mostly variations of the original skin)
- re-arrange the controls in the modules/sections in a way that seems to make sense for me
- last but not least having a size that is suitable for a Full HD display (i do not know another Poly-Ana skin for that purpose so far).
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

nichttuntun wrote:Beside all that new and old and zero and not zero latency discussion...

...even Urs U-HE synths are old. He created some of the Synth when cowboys still rode on dinosaurs and they are around for ages, like POYLY-ANA. Maybe thats the reason why DIVA has gotten "her" name :hihi:

Yes some U-HE Filters sound great. POLY-ANAs filter sounds great too. In the end, I absolutely don´t care what technical knick-knack is pottering under the hood of a hard- or software-synth. I even like Anti-Aliasing in synth-sound (remember the glorious WALDORF wavetable monsters). In the end all that matters for me is what a synth can do and how it sounds AND feels. DIVA and REPRO 1/5 sound fantastic and POLY-ANA sounds fantastic. Would I have to choose it would be POLY-ANA because it simply feels more like a real analog machine for me and not so clean. Thats a good thing for U-HE and for ADMIRAL QUALITY because they complement each other. For sure I don´t need another synth with the same sounding quality I already own.

I still got a ROLAND JUNO 106, a DOEPFER, a KORG POLISIX, a KORG MS-20, a WALDORF PULSE1 (beside all my 80th digital hardware synth), a friend of mine has some MOOGs which I could play and I have touched several more real analog units in my life (first synth I got in the early 90th) and I got a decent audio-monitoring environment and think I can judge some things quite well.

Simply said: POLY-ANA nails it totally for me when it comes to the "feel" a real analog synth is giving you while fiddling with its knobs and sliders. Don´t get me wrong. Urs Synth...I love them!...but they offer another feel when playing around with them and concerning the "real" analog approach...POLY-ANA is a clear leader for me. Again I have to state the sensational bottom end...unreached by every VST-Synth I ever heard...and I heard many.

BUT...please consider that I am not a friend of comparisons which have the goal to state XY is "better" than XY because I think there are no unusable Synth. And I don´t think concepts of "better" and "worse" are so good. "Good" and "bad" are just 2 sides of the same coin for me. Just concepts, not a thing to realy build a scale out of it and state it as universal truth. A general assessment is useless due to the fact that it will propably be based on emotional reactions based on your preferences based on sympathy and antipathy (and that is a complicated genesis).

So finally I can state you can do great things with every sound making machine and of course every object (musique concrete) that you can record a sound from including the environment. The technical background is really the last thing I do care for when it comes to sound-design.

Joyful modulating
Well, I don't really care about age, either. After all I use older plugins myself, mostly Sylenth1, which is like 10 years old and probably doesn't have 0df filters, either :hihi:
I am allergic to aliasing and noise in general, though.

SMH wrote:
chk071 wrote:

Last new update 2017-07-03 http://www.admiralquality.com/poly-ana- ... s/#changes so pretty new i think.
Well, the date of the latest update doesn't really tell much about the underlying tech, does it? The synth could be from 1980, with some added bug fixes in 2017. Poly-Ana 1.0 has initially been released in 2007. I don't know what has or has not been added with the updates in the meantime.

Return to “Instruments”