Upcoming synths 2018?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
surreal
KVRian
959 posts since 3 Dec, 2006

Post Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:14 pm

Dullee wrote:Regarding upcoming vintage synths' emulations, Synapse Audio have plans to model quite a few of those, like OB-Xa, Memorymoog, Prophet-600 with Gligli upgrade, Jupiter-8, Elka Synthex, with a possibility of CS-80.

+1 to Yamaha joining Korg and Roland in synth modeling, seems unlikely though. They've never shown any interest, never attempted it and have zero experience in the field.

I'm kind of hoping for Moog's Minimoog iOS app port to VST/AU this year. They didn't announce anything, but I wish they do it, still.
Where did you get this info on Synapse audio?

Halonmusic
KVRAF
1601 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Re: Upcoming synths 2018?

Post Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:17 pm

Dullee wrote:Regarding upcoming vintage synths' emulations, Synapse Audio have plans to model quite a few of those, like OB-Xa, Memorymoog, Prophet-600 with Gligli upgrade, Jupiter-8, Elka Synthex, with a possibility of CS-80.

+1 to Yamaha joining Korg and Roland in synth modeling, seems unlikely though. They've never shown any interest, never attempted it and have zero experience in the field.

I'm kind of hoping for Moog's Minimoog iOS app port to VST/AU this year. They didn't announce anything, but I wish they do it, still.
Elka Synthex? Yes please!

Dullee
KVRist
108 posts since 9 Mar, 2018

Re: Upcoming synths 2018?

Post Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:49 pm

Yamaha do have _some_ experience in modeling (guitars,amps and FX not synths) since they bought Line6.
Yes, but Line6 has zero clue in synths or synth modeling. Maybe they can teach each other a thing or two about synths and modeling and something would come out of this.

On a serious note, I wish Yamaha just hire people who know the drill. If they ever gonna bring CS-80 in software form to the world, it ain't gonna be an easy task.
Where did you get this info on Synapse audio?
There was a message from their honcho Richard on Gearslutz, in Legend thread.

User avatar
Aiynzahev
KVRAF
3562 posts since 29 Jun, 2011 from USA

Re: Upcoming synths 2018?

Post Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:31 pm

Well, slightly off topic, but if we count hardware synths as well as VST, It's simply phenomenal how many excellent synths we have available to us.

I honestly don't mind if it does slow down a little, there's still so many synths I haven't fully explored yet. Going way back to things like he Ion and the AN1x.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Dullee
KVRist
108 posts since 9 Mar, 2018

Re: Upcoming synths 2018?

Post Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:41 pm

It's simply phenomenal how many excellent synths we have available to us.
yes, if only arturia bundle was done instead by u-he :roll:

goldenanalog
KVRAF
1567 posts since 7 Dec, 2005 from somewhere between analog and digital

Re: Upcoming synths 2018?

Post Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:31 pm

8)

Mystic
KVRist
292 posts since 24 Sep, 2012

Re: Upcoming synths 2018?

Post Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:26 pm

At this point I think the only synths that would get me super excited would be a Korg Collection 2 which include many of the synths and workstations from the 90s/early 2ks and Absynth 6. Both of which I find highly unlikely.

resynthesis
KVRist
352 posts since 17 Sep, 2007 from Planet Thanet

Re: Upcoming synths 2018?

Post Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:23 am

Dullee wrote:
Yamaha do have _some_ experience in modeling (guitars,amps and FX not synths) since they bought Line6.
Yes, but Line6 has zero clue in synths or synth modeling. Maybe they can teach each other a thing or two about synths and modeling and something would come out of this.

On a serious note, I wish Yamaha just hire people who know the drill. If they ever gonna bring CS-80 in software form to the world, it ain't gonna be an easy task.
Where did you get this info on Synapse audio?
There was a message from their honcho Richard on Gearslutz, in Legend thread.
No Line6 are not synth specialists but they do have synth models in some of the processors e.g. Helix. And analog modeling is analog modeling isn't it :wink:

Cinebient
KVRAF
3613 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Re: Upcoming synths 2018?

Post Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:43 am

goldenanalog wrote:- and just to throw this in in the mix as well: the iPad (and to an extent: the iPhone) have now got some legitimately interesting audio apps - some which do not have direct counterparts on the Mac/PC (Moog comes to mind) -

What would you like to see happen in Apple's tablet/phone world this year?

I'm always especially interested to see what the great Mr. Wolfgang Palm is working on -
Yep....i think to buy me an iPad again just for the nice music apps there.
The more i read about the coming Beepstreet modular drum + sequencer i think it will be another great tool which will be iOS only.
Zeeon is another iOS only tool i would want as AU plug-in.
While we at it.....i really would like to see U-he drum synth thingie they once showed.
Sadly there is so much talk about things which might come and some independent developers just deliver things on iOS for a few bucks.
I mean i still don´t like much about iOS and the hardware but some of these apps are far ahead of the 100 version of the same we see on desktops.
And yes, the Minimoog app is another example. By far the best sounding Minimoog for me.....just available on a mobile device.
Then there are things like LayR which are great too and i like it even more than Falcon etc.
I might buy more iOS synths in the future than for mac since there isn´t now much new anymore and for the rest i feel saturated.
Logic and Kontakt for iPad and P900...then i could go without a mac maybe :D

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
7597 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Re: Upcoming synths 2018?

Post Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:39 am

Dullee wrote: I'm kind of hoping for Moog's Minimoog iOS app port to VST/AU this year. They didn't announce anything, but I wish they do it, still.
That's exactly what we need... ANOTHER minimoog :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

generaldiomedes
KVRian
502 posts since 15 Apr, 2017 from Canada

Re: Upcoming synths 2018?

Post Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:06 am

Dullee wrote: There was a message from their honcho Richard on Gearslutz, in Legend thread.
It sounded more like they are evaluating several alternatives, and depending on which emulation is progressing then they will release one of them.

generaldiomedes
KVRian
502 posts since 15 Apr, 2017 from Canada

Re: Upcoming synths 2018?

Post Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:11 am

Kalamata Kid wrote:Komplete 12 with Kontakt 6
and possibly to include Absynth 6 and Massive 2
Source? That's really cruel to tease people with Absynth 6 and Massive 2.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
13288 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Upcoming synths 2018?

Post Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:13 am

generaldiomedes wrote:
Kalamata Kid wrote:Komplete 12 with Kontakt 6
and possibly to include Absynth 6 and Massive 2
Source? That's really cruel to tease people with Absynth 6 and Massive 2.
Ignore him. There is no source. When hell freezes over we'll get Absynth 6 and Massive 2. NI is putting its resources into Reaktor and Kontakt. It's doubtful we'll even see another VST synth from them.

goldenanalog
KVRAF
1567 posts since 7 Dec, 2005 from somewhere between analog and digital

Re: Upcoming synths 2018?

Post Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:26 am

fmr wrote:
Dullee wrote: I'm kind of hoping for Moog's Minimoog iOS app port to VST/AU this year. They didn't announce anything, but I wish they do it, still.
That's exactly what we need... ANOTHER minimoog :hihi:
I know exactly what you're saying - but have you heard it/worked with it?

I'm not a big fan of the iPad platform overall in a performing environment - but in the Moog mini's case it was a pure no-brainer purchase at it's initial offering price of (5) bucks - it really does sound superb running through a decent audio interface -

MikeCallon
KVRist
268 posts since 2 Jan, 2004

Re: Upcoming synths 2018?

Post Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:29 am

wagtunes wrote:
generaldiomedes wrote:
Kalamata Kid wrote:Komplete 12 with Kontakt 6
and possibly to include Absynth 6 and Massive 2
Source? That's really cruel to tease people with Absynth 6 and Massive 2.
Ignore him. There is no source. When hell freezes over we'll get Absynth 6 and Massive 2. NI is putting its resources into Reaktor and Kontakt. It's doubtful we'll even see another VST synth from them.
Where's your source for that info Wags? I hope it's not true, their NKS standard has really transformed my use of synths that support it. Pulling up a patch where everything useful is instantly mapped (particularly for semi modular synths like Diva) is fantastic. The fact that their recent synths have all been based around Reaktor isn't really an issue, at least not for me, they sound great! If Massive 2 or Absynth 6 is a Reaktor based synth then fine by me - if the quality and usability is there I really don't care if it's a separate synth or a Reaktor ensemble. Bring it on :D

Return to “Instruments”