Ubuntu upgrader wants to trash W8

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What it says on the tin.
deletew8.jpeg
I suppose on the grand scale of things reinstalling isn't much of a hassle, but nonetheless, what gives?
Why remove a third-party app? Can I reinstall, as the upgrader apparently considers it incompatible?

(17.10 -> 18.04 Ubuntu MATE, if that makes any difference)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Is this on a Pi?

Nope, plain old Intel PC.

I've upgraded one of my machines to Xubuntu 18.04 today and run into the same problem. Basically, it seems that the Curl package has changed its dependency from libcurl3 to libcurl4, while Waveform depends on libcurl3. The package manager didn't seem to like having both installed at once. Unfortunately, the Steam launcher requires libcurl4. If you don't have anything installed that requires Curl, you might be able to get away with manually installing libcurl3 once you've upgraded. Beyond that, it looks like the developers will have to remove the libcurl3 dependency from Waveform before we can reliably install it on Ubuntu 18.04. It's a bit annoying for me, but fortunately, my main music computer remains on 17.10 for the time being.

Here's a thread about the dependency issue:
https://github.com/dotnet/core-setup/issues/3791

I don't think we specify what version of curl we need so it should be able to cope with changing libs.
However, we do have a dependancy on webkit2gtk-4.0 and gtk+-x11-3.0. Does anyone know if these have a specific libcurl dependency?
If we managed to get rid of that would it help?

Sorry I don't have the expertise to answer that.

When I try to install Waveform9 using sudo dpkg -i it spits out:
Selecting previously unselected package waveform9.
(Reading database ... 501746 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack Waveform Installer (64-bit) 9.1.1.deb ...
Unpacking waveform9 (9.1.1) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of waveform9:
waveform9 depends on libcurl3 (>= 7.16.2); however:
Package libcurl3 is not installed.

and when I try to install libcurl3 (it's in the repository) it wants to remove libcurl4 and everything that depends on it.

As an experiment I installed Openshot, a video editor that uses Juce that is included in the repo. This installed and ran.

Sorry I can't be more help. Let me know if there's anything you'd like me to try.

dRowAudio wrote:I don't think we specify what version of curl we need [...]
Sadly, yes you do… the control file in the install package says
Depends: libasound2 (>= 1.0.16), libc6 (>= 2.16), libcurl3 (>= 7.16.2), libfreetype6 (>= 2.2.1), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.0), libgl1-mesa-glx | libgl1, libstdc++6 (>= 5.2), libx11-6, libxext6
I removed the libcurl3 dependency from the installer, reinstalled the package, and now the upgrader thinks it's fine and dandy.

So you'll probably need a libcurl3 | libcurl4 there :-|

I imagine this is because we build on Ubuntu 16.04 in order to maintain compatibility with OSes that far back.
It's generated automatically from shlibs so I'll have to see if we can modify this.

Hi,

Well since Ubuntu 18.04 is the new LTS, perhaps this can be a new build platform? :)

G.
Making Bitpop music....
Tracktion Waveform 11 under Ubuntu 20.04.
ROC CUbe Ryzen 3400G - 32GB RAM, 2xSSD, Integrated Radeon RC Vega 11 GPU
Yamaha USB Mixing Station, Mackie Reference Monitors & Axiom A.I.R 32 controller.

I'd love to do (as then we could use lots of nice new C++ features!) that but it would also cause compatibility with other Debian based Linux Distros.

I'd been keen to know what the minimum expected Linux OS is from Linux users. A year ago 16.04 seemed like the best choice but maybe that's moved on since?

Yeah I completely understand you point.

I do know that Ubuntu 18.04 still lets you install libcurl3 but it will remove libcurl4 in the process. 18.04 runs fine with libcurl3 but I guess it makes installation of Waveform a bit of a nuisance.

Snap/Flatpack support is still not quite there across distributions so I dont see it as a good option.

I dont know how automated your build process is but perhaps the best interim solution is to provide both a debian and an Ubuntu build....

Edit: Maybe Snapcraft can help? https://snapcraft.io/
Making Bitpop music....
Tracktion Waveform 11 under Ubuntu 20.04.
ROC CUbe Ryzen 3400G - 32GB RAM, 2xSSD, Integrated Radeon RC Vega 11 GPU
Yamaha USB Mixing Station, Mackie Reference Monitors & Axiom A.I.R 32 controller.

I now have Waveform 9 running under my installation of Ubuntu 18.04 thanks to hints on this thread. It was largely done out of interest to see if it would work, and of course, I can't recommend that anyone else try it on their machine.

Basically, it meant:

Getting the .deb to install without errors by editing the control file and then repackaging it.

This is the information I used to do that:

https://coderwall.com/p/hes3ha/change-t ... eb-package

The edit to the control file was the

Code: Select all

|libcurl4
addition described by @farlukar above.

That gets it to install without errors, but it won't run because it needs libcurl.so.4

To work around this:

I downloaded the libcurl3 package manually:

apt-get download libcurl3
and unpacked it with:

dpkg -x [name of package]
That meant that I could actually run it with:

(note the typo ;-)

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/Downloads/waveform/unpackaed/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
Waveform9
A quick test showed that it did run and play back a tune. Even the “call home” version check at the beginning works.

I'll run it like this for now. As I said, this isn't my main music computer, but it'll be handy to be able to run it if I have to.

Indeed it's not just some bogus dependency in the installer. I just did the upgrade, and without the manual libcurl3 jiggery-pokery Waveform complains:
Waveform8: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcurl.so.4: version `CURL_OPENSSL_3' not found (required by Waveform8)

Maybe Ubuntu should implement WinSxS :hihi:

FYI I've finally managed to unpick some of the mess of an upgrade that is Ubuntu 18.04 and get a build of Waveform 9 that should work on Ubuntu 18.04. It's still in the early phases but if you'd like to test it PM me and I'll send you a download link for it.

Note that this version will not work on versions of Ubuntu earlier than 18.04 so we'll have to release two binaries for a while.

Great news keeps us update when it's released ! :party:

Return to “Tracktion”