Cubase Pro 9 mixer incompatible with Windows 10 1803 (latest)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I updated Windows 10 to the latest Redstone (1803) a few days ago. Today, I launched Cubase Pro 9, and when I opened the last saved project, it simply shut off itself.

It starts OK, and I am even able to create a new empty project. Apparently, the problem is related with the mixer. As soon as I try to open the mixer (hitting F3, for example) it quits. No crash, no message, nothing - it simplys quits.

Since all my projects have the mixer opened, I am unable to open any project now. Does anyone expoerienced this behaviour. The computer in question is a laptop, and it is running Windows 10 Home.

EDIT: Cubase Pro 9.5, although it doesn't quit, doesn't open the mixers either (nor the piano roll editor, score editor, etc.). I am now testing with Windows 10 Pro.
Fernando (FMR)

No issues here, using Windows 10 64 bit 1803 and Cubase 9.5.21. Projects, editors and mixer all working fine.

Update your graphic drivers? Unless you recently did, then downgrade. Reinstall Cubase? Those would be the first two things I did to help diagnose the issue.

+1 here - all fine on 9.5.
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

I updated Windows today to 1803 and I had an error when I started Cubase 9. It was related to eLicenser, so I run eLicenser Control Centre as administrator, then Cubase worked fine (no Mixer or whatsoever problem).

OK. I tested two other machines, where I have Windows 10 (but those have Windows 10 Pro), and I experienced no problems.

I am going to try a complete uninstall and reinstall of Cubase, to see if that solves the problem. Thanks to those that reply :tu:

@EnGee: Yes, that problem arises every time we install a major Windows update. It is solved by running ECC as administrator. Apparently, the major update messes with the permissions of the soft eLicenser.
Fernando (FMR)

Last update.

After testing on two other machines (but both were runing Windows 10 Pro, NOT Home), and since I got no problems with those, I got back to my laptop. I tried to reinstall Cubase 9.5 - the results were absolutely catastrophic. Cubase launches, but now, as soon as I try to open an empty project, it quits.

I then uninstalled Cubase 9.5 and reinstalled Cubase 9 completely.

Still, the issues remain. Since Cubase was working perfectly, theree must be something related with Windows 10 Home, that doesn't affect Windows 10 Pro. That or the graphic drivers, but those are exactly the same I have running on the other machines (all of them have NVidias, and all of them are running the latest drivers). HALion 6 and Wavelab Elements 9.5, which I also have installed don't have any issues.

I opened a ticket at Steinberg support. Let's see how this evolves.
Fernando (FMR)

Did you delete all the user and configuration files when you uninstalled Cubase?

chk071 wrote:Did you delete all the user and configuration files when you uninstalled Cubase?
I didn't uninstall Cubase 9 - I just reinstalled it over the existing installation. I might try that, but frankly, I don't believe it will solve anything. I installed Cubase 9.5 from scratch, and it presented the same issues.

As I said, Cubase was working OK until the latest update. And it launches OK. It's just when I try to open the mixer, or create a track, that it quits. I am trying to avoid a complete uninstall/reinstall because that will imply uninstalling HALion also, and start over, which will be like half a day. This comes in a really bad time, because I have a presentation scheduled for next Tuesday, and I was planning to spend these last few days preparing all the files for that. I guess I will have to use another DAW :borg:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:Last update.

After testing on two other machines (but both were runing Windows 10 Pro, NOT Home), and since I got no problems with those, I got back to my laptop. I tried to reinstall Cubase 9.5 - the results were absolutely catastrophic. Cubase launches, but now, as soon as I try to open an empty project, it quits.

I then uninstalled Cubase 9.5 and reinstalled Cubase 9 completely.

Still, the issues remain. Since Cubase was working perfectly, theree must be something related with Windows 10 Home, that doesn't affect Windows 10 Pro. That or the graphic drivers, but those are exactly the same I have running on the other machines (all of them have NVidias, and all of them are running the latest drivers). HALion 6 and Wavelab Elements 9.5, which I also have installed don't have any issues.

I opened a ticket at Steinberg support. Let's see how this evolves.
I'm running Windows 10 Home with all latest updates and no issues with Cubase 9.5.

Reefius wrote: I'm running Windows 10 Home with all latest updates and no issues with Cubase 9.5.
This is really weird. So, you already updated to Windows 10 1803? Thanks for informing :to:
Fernando (FMR)

I'm currently on Windows 10 Home x64 1803 build 17134.48. Just checked Windows Update and no new updates.

You're lucky.
I allowed the 1803 update on my Win Pro system. When it was done and rebooted... it refused. All I got was a diagnostic screen with a few options, none of which had any effect. I spent a day trying all sorts of stuff. Ended up reinstalling everything. I suspect a graphics driver was the problem, but who knows.

Googly Smythe wrote: I suspect a graphics driver was the problem, but who knows.
Funny you said that. After two days of intense troubleshooting, I think I located the problem. I suspect it is related with the fact that the laptop uses Intel HD Graphics 3000.

This graphics chip is not supported by Intel in Windows 10, according to the informations I gor on the Net: https://communities.intel.com/thread/11 ... 5&tstart=0

The laptop was from my daughter, and I borrowed it to make some presentations. She upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 during the time it was available as a free update, and probably didn't notice the compatibility warnings (assuming there were compatibility warnings).

What is a mystery to me is why I had Cubase working OK until this 1803 Redstone, and after the update, all of a sudden started to crash. Anyway, I reported to Steinberg. They released an update for HALion that solved the problems I had with the GUI (in that same machine). Maybe they will release some update that allows me to work again with Cubase in it. Otherwise, the only solution is to format the hard drive and reinstall Windows 7.
Fernando (FMR)

I just updated to 1803 this morning. The ONLY issues I had weren't with Cubase at all. I have a program that adjusts my Fonts that I had to reprogram (A+ System Font Size Changer). I also had to run elicenser twice because something failed the first time. It might have been because I didn't open it with "Run as Administrator".

Cubase started right up with no problem. I can open and close the mixer using F3. All is well.
Last edited by kb420 on Sun May 20, 2018 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”