Roland Boutique SE-02 ... (actual analog. roland brand, studio electronics build)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks,

how do I set the SE-02 to local off?

My eyes are getting old and the font size on these manual slip is sooo tiny!

Any help where to find it?

Thanks,

Saxer
Saxplayer, LogicUser, loves and makes Jazz/Chill/Latin/Filmmusic, House...

Btw there’s now vst au controllers available for the se-02 and almost all of the boutiques. They are only a couple of quid a piece and are mostly solid. I notice a lag here and there bug they’re generally very good. I believe they’re made with JUCE as well.

Browse around and you will see more editors. I have the se-02, sh01a, Jp08, and the tr8. I’ve not tried the jp-08 or the-8 one yet but sh/se both worked as advertised.
https://se-02-midi-editor.jimdo.com/

I've had third party VST editors for several of my hardware synths and they have all been absolute rubbish. I don't know that I'd bother again.

It's also interesting that this, like so many new products, gets pages and pages of posts, right up to the time when we can all get our hands on it, then nothing.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote:
It's also interesting that this, like so many new products, gets pages and pages of posts, right up to the time when we can all get our hands on it, then nothing.
Ha! So true.

BONES wrote:It's also interesting that this, like so many new products, gets pages and pages of posts, right up to the time when we can all get our hands on it, then nothing.
Maybe all the micro cables killed instant gratification. ;)

Hopefully it means everyone is too busy having fun with it to be bothered posting any more. Although I prefer to write about things after I've had a chance to use them and the more they excite me, the more I want to tell everyone about it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

My opinion of the se-02 is that it sounds amazing but the knobs kill the joy of programming it I’m half tempted to build a breakout box with proper knobs for it...

Sounds is great, nice and powerful with lots of bass. Does the Moog sound and some not so Moog sound too. If it were 100-200 bucks cheaper I would persue poly chaining but at its current price point I would just get another poly.

Stupid American Pig wrote:My opinion of the se-02 is that it sounds amazing but the knobs kill the joy of programming it...
This sums up my view on it too.

I loved the concept until I saw one in person - unfortunately the form factor doesn't really work for me.

I would still have got one, probably, but the Model D provides a lot of what I want from this but in a better format.

I had the same problem with the JP-08. Its sliders are tiny, which makes them hard to use and even harder to get exactly the right setting.. The JU-06 has about the right number of parameters to fit in that size box but anything with more controls than that gets hard to work with.

BONES wrote:I had the same problem with the JP-08. Its sliders are tiny, which makes them hard to use and even harder to get exactly the right setting.. The JU-06 has about the right number of parameters to fit in that size box but anything with more controls than that gets hard to work with.
Agreed. I’ve an sh01a and it also seems to have the right control to form factor count but I stopped using my jp-08 and realize that I just ended up buying the one boutique synth that didn’t appreciate in value. :hihi:

Stupid American Pig wrote:My opinion of the se-02 is that it sounds amazing but the knobs kill the joy of programming it
I agree. I bought one, but I didn't really use it untill the editor came out... As a partial justification, I also bought other items in the meantime, but yeah, the panel is tiny.
I even thought about bringing back my old BCR2000 to control it (I would, if I had the space for it in my small room).
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

You'd feel like a bit of an idiot, though, wouldn't you? To have a hardware synth with one knob per parameter and still feel you need a MIDI controller to make it usable.

I have no problem with the SE-02's knob size and I got decent sized hands. I love this synth. Can they be bigger? Sure. But definitely not a deal breaker. This synth packs a punch and easy to bring around. I can chill out in my bed at night with it sitting on my lap and have my headphones on and create some awesome sounds with my girl asleep next to me. When I'm ready to use the sounds, I can hook it right up to my home studio easily thru the MX-1's Aira port and load up the sounds I made the night before. Love the cross mod section and now its got PWM on top of that. A massive little synth.

For people who like the sound of this synth but hate its knobs, save up for a SE Boomstar 5089. It's Minimoog 'inspired' with the authentic sound that can shake walls...with knobs that are just right.

Both synths are made by Studio Electronics...
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Boomstar 5089 is awesome but has 2 oscs and is also nearly three times the price of Behringer Model D.

From what I've seen/heard of D so far there's no sonic reason to go elsewhere,it's really hard to beat from vfm perspective.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”