28%
14%
5%
5 or more
14%

Total votes: 138

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Topcheese wrote:It's like bringing a blade to a knife fight, yeah you good to go for the fight, but good luck trying to clip your nose hairs with it.

Carrying a multi-functional Knife( DAWS) will yield far more successful outcomes, than just carrying a single blade(DAW), it doesn't matter how you slice it! :ud:

Of course that means that if your day job happens to be in a kitchen, then that dictates what knife you have to use at the time.
You sound hungry.

Pretty much every modern DAW these days are swiss army knives of features and they all pretty much cover the basics that you will need to make a song from beginning to end. Hit songs have been made on every single DAW imaginable. So it's not the DAW or how many you got...

The beginning part is easy, it's the finishing part with a satisfying ending, that is the hard work.
It's time to set the flux capacitor to 2018, bye bye VST2 and 32 bit.

LawrenceF wrote:
ShawnG wrote:As an observation over the years, a lot of the DAW hopping that goes on is ironically tied to the desire and belief in having only one DAW.

It goes like this: newbie buys first DAW and everything is wonderful and amazing, until one day it isn't. they have to accomplish something and ...
Let me finish that for you from my perspective...

"... goes on the Internet daw boards (the rabbit hole) and starts worrying more about what he doesn't have, or what someone else says is essential, than just making music. Procrastinates.... buys 3-4 more... doesn't really learn any of them fully... and a year later still hasn't made any complete music. Spends more time on the net talking about other daws with cool stuff than just making music. He goes down that road where "cool daw features" become more important than his musical vision, which he's now completely forgotten about. Continually looking over the fence for greener grass becomes an obsession."

Another different singer/songwriter guy buys Garageband and a mic and decent audio interface and just plays and records and a year later has two completed albums. :lol:
well, ok. I mean that's basically what I said in my post, so not sure why you had to finish that for me, but its cool, rock on.

poleda wrote: Pretty much every modern DAW these days are swiss army knives of features and they all pretty much cover the basics that you will need to make a song from beginning to end. Hit songs have been made on every single DAW imaginable. So it's not the DAW or how many you got...
You can't contradict yourself, then try to steal my point. It has everything to do with context and how you prefer to create music. That was my point, and it has nothing to do with how serrated the blade is, or how sweet the handle on it.

Sticking with my analogy you can try to use a butter knife to cut up your steak, or use a steak knife to spread your butter, because remember you only need one knife for the job.

Great that works for you, but admit it that some people are just better at multi-tasking than you are. :tu:

It's not the DAW, so who cares about features they don't need!

Edit: When Thanksgiving comes around I'd love to know which knife you chose to be your one and only solution.
Last edited by Topcheese on Mon May 21, 2018 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topcheese wrote:It's like bringing a blade to a knife fight, yeah you good to go for the fight, but good luck trying to clip your nose hairs with it.

Carrying a multi-functional Knife( DAWS) will yield far more successful outcomes, than just carrying a single blade(DAW), it doesn't matter how you slice it! :ud:

Of course that means that if your day job happens to be in a kitchen, then that dictates what knife you have to use at the time.
I looked for some of your music, but I couldn't find any. Could you share some of your 'far more successful outcomes', so that we could hear the advantages of using multiple DAWs in context?

Thanks.

:)

herodotus wrote:
I looked for some of your music, but I couldn't find any. Could you share some of your 'far more successful outcomes', so that we could hear the advantages of using multiple DAWs in context?

Thanks.

You had to go there! I could show you some, but then I'd probably end up being your poster child for one DAW. :oops:

One size doesn't fit all. I used a single DAW for decades, and my music didn't start opening up until I started incorporating features from other DAWs into my productions.

My music is a lot further along now, than it would be if I stuck with my single DAW. That works for me because I'm horrible at making music anyway, so I needed those other features in order to progress with my music.

I'm not saying that works for everybody, and we can sit here and debate all day whether or not I would have finished tracks today or I would have quit the biz all together.

I do agree with you that it can be a pain, but some things never hurt so good when you know what you're doing and you use a safe word.

All I see are some people beating their chest, trying to promote their favorite DAW as the greatest thing since sliced bread. We no longer need rolls & muffins. smh

Topcheese wrote: You can't contradict yourself, then try to steal my point. It has everything to do with context and how you prefer to create music. That was my point, and it has nothing to do with how serrated the blade is, or how sweet the handle on it.

Sticking with my analogy you can try to use a butter knife to cut up your steak, or use a steak knife to spread your butter, because remember you only need one knife for the job.

Great that works for you, but admit it that some people are just better at multi-tasking than you are. :tu:

It's not the DAW, so who cares about features they don't need!

Edit: When Thanksgiving comes around I'd love to know which knife you chose to be your one and only solution.
I have no clue what you're going on about... Let's try to stick to audio engineering and musicianship analogies please.

You're making hungry, stop it.

poleda wrote: Let's try to stick to audio engineering and musicianship analogies please.

Tried that, and yet some people can't seem to grasp that learning all the feature set of one DAW doesn't cut it for some people in this day and age for people who have other needs and abilities.

If you were even close to being right, then there wouldn't be so many DAWs out there to choose from, but keep preaching the nonsense of putting all of your "musical notes" in one basket.

As long as it works for you, but you can miss me with your favorite old school DAW you stuck with and its magical proprietary formats to save the world.

You can't seem to understand that one DAW may not have all of the features that I need, so that's actually a hindrance to me, but it's been obvious from the start this is about you.
Last edited by Topcheese on Mon May 21, 2018 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topcheese wrote:
poleda wrote: Let's try to stick to audio engineering and musicianship analogies please.

Tried that, and yet some people can't seem to grasp that learning all the feature set of one DAW doesn't cut it for some people in this day and age for people who have other needs and abilities.

If you were even close to being right, then there wouldn't be so many DAWs out there to choose from, but keep preaching the nonsense of putting all of your "musical notes" in one basket.

As long as it works for you, but you can miss me with your favorite old school DAW you stuck with and its magical proprietary formats to save the world.

If you can't understand that one DAW may not have all of the features that I need, so that's actually a hindrance to me, but it's been obvious from the start this is about you.
G.A.S. the silent killer... :hihi:

poleda wrote:
G.A.S. the silent killer... :hihi:
Well played, sir.

:clap:

Topcheese wrote:
herodotus wrote:

Thanks.

You had to go there! I could show you some, but then I'd probably end up being your poster child for one DAW. :oops:
Just to be clear, I have no opinions about the right way of doing things, or how many DAWs you should use, or how you work.

My whole point was simply that your anology (that a DAW is like a crockpot) was a poor one.

Even the simplest DAW has many tools within it: a multitrack recorder, piano rolls, compressors, equalizers, samplers, and so on. This simply is not analogous to a crockpot. A compressor, might be, or a sampler. But a whole DAW? It simply doesn't work.

Other than that, I have no disagreement with you. (That I know of.)

herodotus wrote:
My whole point was simply that your anology (that a DAW is like a crockpot) was a poor one.

Other than that, I have no disagreement with you. (That I know of.)
You seem to have some issues, but I'll be more than happy to help you work through them on a public forum. I used the term "crockpot" in the context of being an appliance. You know something that you can take raw food and transform it into something for people to consume. It's just like how a DAW takes raw sounds, and then transforms it into something sweet for people to consume.

A person could spend their entire lifetime using only the microwave oven with feature set ABC, but other people happen to occasionally use a BBQ with feature set XYZ.

I'm sorry about the food analogy, but that's the closet thing I can think of that people are a real connoisseur of. Yes I can compare it to like being a chef in a kitchen choosing which appliance to cook a meal with.

No argument from me, yes you should learn to master a DAW with feature set ABC. I'm also going to learn to use the DAW with feature set XYZ, that way I'll have way more tools at my disposal. I'm glad ABC makes you happy, and you can cook up all of YOUR music that way.

DAW(ABC) - DAW(ABC) + DAW(XYZ) = No brainer.

Trying to flip the script is not going to work in this case, instead why not try to follow along? Sure you can call it what you want to, but I am staying on topic. The original questions is valid because the OP must have realized that some people may need to use more than one DAW.

Some people here seem to think that there is one DAW that you'll ever need, and my reply to that is ... maybe. That you can bank on.

You would be fine learning to master one DAW, but after that's all said and done, come on now life moves on!

DAW is a kitchen, period, how well that kitchen is equipped is the thing, but every kitchen have most essential things, like every DAW does, if you are good chef, you will do good, if not, you can be in best kitchen and have best spices, but still, your food will suck.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Seriously, as one does have 'kitchen' available as a word for metaphor, 'crockpot' is poor.

That is just obvious, if you want a crockpot to be a kitchen you appear to have "issues" with logic. It's not acceptable to attack the person which you've done having lost the argument a while back.

jancivil wrote:Seriously, as one does have 'kitchen' available as a word for metaphor, 'crockpot' is poor.
Yeah we also have the term "studio" available that we could use for kitchen, but let you tell it.

I'm the one with the failed logic. I love to go into my crockpot and cook on my kitchen. I take it English is not your native language.

Edit: Answer me this, are all crockpots created equal? Are all DAWs created equal? Then it's close enough for me! :scared:
Last edited by Topcheese on Mon May 21, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Why using metaphors? It's not that we can't understand what DAWs and instruments do!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”