Lets see some studio pics

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The MIDI clock corner. The SBX1 drives it all 8)

"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Looks smart, Mushy ... :tu:

thecontrolcentre wrote:Looks smart, Mushy ... :tu:
Thanks, man. The other wall holds the synths and there are 3 racks under the desk holding patchbays, PC's and more synths. On the other side of the room are two more racks housing FX units.

The next phase is connecting the hardware synths to a hardware sequencer.

looks too bloody tidy :o

like visiting a show home.

wheres all the fag ash and wires? ffs don't let the missus see that, ill never hear the end of it!

"why cant you have a nice tidy play room like that nice man on the internet?"

"hes not nice babe, he eats babies and purposefully breaks wind in elevators"

vurt wrote:looks too bloody tidy :o

like visiting a show home.

wheres all the fag ash and wires? ffs don't let the missus see that, ill never hear the end of it!

"why cant you have a nice tidy play room like that nice man on the internet?"

"hes not nice babe, he eats babies and purposefully breaks wind in elevators"
LOL. I spend a ridiculous amount of time and money on the ergonomic aspect. I hate clutter and wires. I need to be able to come home and switch it on with everything connected. The only patching required is the 5 patchbays under the desk where absolutely everything is connected.

BTW, I can categorically deny the eating babies but the breaking wing in elevators..... well...

Very cool! Are those custom stands? Do you have one of those sequencers set up to change the patterns on the others or do you have to change patterns on each device individually?

Mushy Mushy wrote:I need to be able to come home and switch it on with everything connected.
Do you switch everything on individually or do you have a Dr Frankenstein switch by the door that turns the power on to everything at once? Do the house lights dim when you throw the switch? The streetlights outside?
The only patching required is the 5 patchbays under the desk where absolutely everything is connected.
I'm hoping they are 5 tiny patchbays, right? I don't even need a mixer, a patchbay would give me nightmares!
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

justin3am wrote:Very cool! Are those custom stands? Do you have one of those sequencers set up to change the patterns on the others or do you have to change patterns on each device individually?
The stands are from KVGear.

Every device with a MIDI clock is sent signal by the SBX1 via a Kenton MIDI Thru-25. Therefore I have 25 synths and FX units all being fed clock and start with one unit. In between the SBX1 and Thru-25 I have a MIDI Merge which also takes input from a MIDI keyboard. This allows me to play (even though I cant play) the synths but more realistically to program the SH01, JP08 and JU06 boutiques. The Merge further splits off so I can play the rack synths under the desk or the keyboard on the back wall.

At the moment each pattern is programmed manually which to be honest isn't really an issue, however that become redundant once my hardware sequencer arrives (Engine or budget allowing the Cirklon).

BONES wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:I need to be able to come home and switch it on with everything connected.
Do you switch everything on individually or do you have a Dr Frankenstein switch by the door that turns the power on to everything at once?
I wouldn't say I'm a massive environmental hippy (far from it really) but I don't see the point in turning stuff on that I have no intention of using. Therefore each work area (ie, desktop, each rack, the synth wall) has its own rack mounted PDU so I can switch on as required. For the most part I only use the desktop devices so they're all switched on by 1 button.
BONES wrote:Do the house lights dim when you throw the switch? The streetlights outside?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
BONES wrote:
The only patching required is the 5 patchbays under the desk where absolutely everything is connected.
I'm hoping they are 5 tiny patchbays, right? I don't even need a mixer, a patchbay would give me nightmares!
They're Behringer 48 point patchbays so 240 inputs definitely sounds like a lot but it soon adds up when using multi timbral devices such as Access Viruses (x2), Nord Lead, Akai S5000, MKS70, Novation Drum Station to name a few. That's 40 just there, not to mention the Mackie 32 mixer which occupies 96 slots as the inserts are fed back in also.

The patchbays are (or more accurately will be) very clearly labelled. I found a place on eBay that does them based on your own design. Essentially you complete a template of what you want and where (including colour coding) and he prints off a full size overlay.
Last edited by Mushy Mushy on Wed May 23, 2018 6:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

Does the MIDI signal drift much with all those connections and splitters? (Its not great to start with but...)

AnX wrote:Does the MIDI signal drift much with all those connections and splitters? (Its not great to start with but...)
No not in the slightest. Despite the overall complexity the routing for each synth is very straighforward given there's no daisy chaining. The splitters are powered which helps quite a lot, I wouldn't try this setup with passive splitters.

This looks like a display rather than a workplace :o

Why do you need 3 acid basslines, anyway?
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:
Why do you need 3 acid basslines, anyway?
So you can play 3 acid lines at the same time 8)

DJ Warmonger wrote:This looks like a display rather than a workplace :o
Does an empty beer can, cigarette ash or loose cables denote a workplace?
DJ Warmonger wrote:Why do you need 3 acid basslines, anyway?
Bass & two leads. In reality 2.5 is the correct number but sadly this configuration isn’t available.

Mushy Mushy wrote:They're Behringer 48 point patchbays so 240 inputs definitely sounds like a lot but it soon adds up when using multi timbral devices such as Access Viruses (x2), Nord Lead, Akai S5000, MKS70, Novation Drum Station to name a few. That's 40 just there, not to mention the Mackie 32 mixer which occupies 96 slots as the inserts are fed back in also.
Where's all that stuff in the photo? You've cheated by cleaning up one corner of your studio and pretending you're a neat freak, haven't you?

Serious questions now - what do you do with all that stuff? I couldn't work with that much gear, I'd be paralysed with so many options and I'd never get anything done. I've had to put my Waldorf Rocket in storage so I'll stop playing with it and do more work. I'm also ruthless at getting rid of things I don't use, like a JP08, JU06, Minilogue and Monologue, just in the last year. I'm also thinking of selling my Waldorf Pulse 2 if I can rescue it from my bandmate's rig. And you don't even have a sequencer?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”