[PreSonus Studio One] Music | Design | Film | VFX Production Resource

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

THE INTRANCER wrote:
SLiC wrote: From what I can tell they have removed the switch as it is now automatic (it detects your resolution). I think however that this is a mistake as on a MS surface (for example) some plugins show up as about an inch square!, they need scaling!
An inch square, crikey... people will be using a traditional glass magnifying glass to see anything lol.
Please forgive me if you mentioned it already, but have you tried the following workaround for the High DPI scaling issue?
... you may want to disable display scaling for that particular application. To do this, right-click the application’s shortcut and then click Properties. On the Compatibility tab, select Disable Display Scaling On High DPI Settings, and then click OK.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

tonedef71 wrote:
THE INTRANCER wrote:
SLiC wrote: From what I can tell they have removed the switch as it is now automatic (it detects your resolution). I think however that this is a mistake as on a MS surface (for example) some plugins show up as about an inch square!, they need scaling!
An inch square, crikey... people will be using a traditional glass magnifying glass to see anything lol.
Please forgive me if you mentioned it already, but have you tried the following workaround for the High DPI scaling issue?
... you may want to disable display scaling for that particular application. To do this, right-click the application’s shortcut and then click Properties. On the Compatibility tab, select Disable Display Scaling On High DPI Settings, and then click OK.
Yes I mentioned it earlier in the thread.. it has no effect. I could make a short screencast video to prove it.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote:These mods, aren't as smart.. as some think lol... oh well.. hopefully it's raised as a legitimate problem and gets rectified.
Acceptance of the display scaling issue still has not made much progress in the PreSonus thread:
jpettit wrote:Did you still have Screen scaling set to %125%
*SIGH*
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

kevvvvv wrote:It's about time someone said what a great upgrade it is :)

You get what you pay for, and quality is almost never cheap.

I'll have to see if there's a way to port some of my excellent Avenger drum content into impact XT now.

And I definitely love the Chord gadget.

Modulating a chord sequence towards the end of a song seems a great of way making it go out with a bang

- with no guesswork tedium of midi fiddling across multiple tracks.

The Pattern gadget sounds a really handy way of getting more out of a riff I really love, and want to exploit

- without being "over-random" like so many riff-obliterating randomiser gadgets are.

I still find S1 the fastest sequencer I've ever worked with, and can get much more sophisticated stuff done because of I can try out alternatives & ideas super quick.

:tu:
:tu: +1, loving it myself, some of the new stuff I likely wont even use, but it's there if I need to, feels nice and snappy, rock solid on my machine as ever, and the $126.99 I paid to upgrade was a bargain in my opinion.
Say NO to CLAP!

I was down at the beach today, relaxing in the beautiful sunshine among the craggy rocks... the background image wallpaper is a photo of the sea I took with my digital video camera... quite relaxing methinks. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbjoiZA ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Fri May 25, 2018 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote:I was down at the beach today, relaxing in the beautiful sunshine among the craggy rocks... the background image wallpaper is a photo of the sea I took with my digital video camera today... quite relaxing methinks. :)

I see from your screenshot that you use IObit Advanced System Care. Do you ever find that the background processing of the IObit software impedes audio playback and/or processing in your DAW in any way?

I also use IObit Advanced System Care and have noticed high disk activity (sometimes followed by intermittently high CPU usage from Windows Module Installer TIWorker Threads) while the real time protection is running. Also, the antivirus and malware fighter both download "new" updates every... single... day. I have considered turning off the real-time protection off in favor of using Windows Defender for my antivirus/malware needs instead.

I haven’t done any serious testing yet, but 4.0 is opening my 3.5 projects and playing them just fine. I’m not experiencing scaling issues after setting the shortcut properties to override Wndows 10’s settings. My desktop is set to 125% scaling, and Studio One 4’s GUI behaves pretty much the same as that of S1 3.5. I DO NOT like the pasty, light grey background behind insert FX and such.

CPU performance seems to be on par with that of v3.5.6. However, I was hoping there would have been even better CPU performance improvements. Lack of multi channel midi on a single track kinda sucks. Gee whiz, even novice-grade DAE Mixcraft offers that. As a matter of fact, Mixcraft offers a tremendous degree of nifty features. The included plugins suck on the hind tit, but it’s quite good otherwise.

I really like Stidio One. I’m looking forward to reviewing version 4, but it doesn’t seem to bring nearly as much ”gee whiz” to the table as version 3 did over v2.6
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

tonedef71 wrote:
THE INTRANCER wrote:I was down at the beach today, relaxing in the beautiful sunshine among the craggy rocks... the background image wallpaper is a photo of the sea I took with my digital video camera today... quite relaxing methinks. :)

I see from your screenshot that you use IObit Advanced System Care. Do you ever find that the background processing of the IObit software impedes audio playback and/or processing in your DAW in any way?

I also use IObit Advanced System Care and have noticed high disk activity (sometimes followed by intermittently high CPU usage from Windows Module Installer TIWorker Threads) while the real time protection is running. Also, the antivirus and malware fighter both download "new" updates every... single... day. I have considered turning off the real-time protection off in favor of using Windows Defender for my antivirus/malware needs instead.
Nice spotting of IObit Advanced System Care, but yeah I do use it occasionally to spring clean it after a big clear out to get more hard drive space. Typically I just leave it in the background running. If I was getting any strange behavior like the CPU flickering in Studio One, I'd turn it off, but I don't in any case. If I'm working on a big complex track of 100 to 200 tracks where I'm pushing my I7 920 CPU hard and experiencing crackling, I will turn these background utilities off just to see if it makes any difference in helping things tick along better.

Of course if I'm lazy in the choice of instruments and don't care about having a lower number of tracks or instruments, and plan on using my own multi song compositing techniques, then it doesn't matter so much.

The other utility I use is Malwarebytes, it auto-scans every 33 days by default, and I do use IObit Uninstaller which comes in handy but that's not a background program as such.

Often Studio One has been critisised for it's CPU usage in the past, but me personally I've figured out how to make the best use of it, by understanding how it actually works.

Brother Charles wrote:I haven’t done any serious testing yet, but 4.0 is opening my 3.5 projects and playing them just fine. I’m not experiencing scaling issues after setting the shortcut properties to override Wndows 10’s settings. My desktop is set to 125% scaling, and Studio One 4’s GUI behaves pretty much the same as that of S1 3.5. I DO NOT like the pasty, light grey background behind insert FX and such.

CPU performance seems to be on par with that of v3.5.6. However, I was hoping there would have been even better CPU performance improvements. Lack of multi channel midi on a single track kinda sucks. Gee whiz, even novice-grade DAE Mixcraft offers that. As a matter of fact, Mixcraft offers a tremendous degree of nifty features. The included plugins suck on the hind tit, but it’s quite good otherwise.

I really like Stidio One. I’m looking forward to reviewing version 4, but it doesn’t seem to bring nearly as much ”gee whiz” to the table as version 3 did over v2.6
I'm running Windows 7 64 Bit, and the screencast is recording that, and as you can see, changing property settings has no effect whatsoever. I've no intention of going anywhere near Windows 10... on my main music production system. Half the world is still using Windows 7 because it just works... but that's a whole different rant I'll avoid in this thread. I run dual 1080P monitors at 125% scaling and that's fine for my needs currently, I don't ever change this because it would screw up all my programs in legibility terms...

I've no intention of forking out more money for a 4K screen just to run a DAW that refuses to work as it should.

So in summary, if Presonus don't fix this by providing the checkbox to disable Hi-DPI, they are going to not only piss off their current user base in the same situation, and probably lose them to another competing daw, but also piss off future potential customers at the same time...nobody wins.

I was on 2.6 for about 6 months before 3.0 came out... it was big update... and bought it I think on the same day.

With 4.0, it was tainted by a horrible presentation and self promoted advertising by Gieb.. and the rest of them, looking past that though and taking in what was actually provided before actually getting my own hands on it, it was like a DejaVoo with the things I though of in the designs I'd created last year and shown early in this thread... but the inclusions of other things were just weird... I wasn't jumping to get my wallet out..I'm glad I didn't thus far because I can't use this DAW in the way I expected to.... and I'm not alone in this.

THE INTRANCER wrote:I was down at the beach today, relaxing in the beautiful sunshine among the craggy rocks... the background image wallpaper is a photo of the sea I took with my digital video camera... quite relaxing methinks. :)

Works fine in Windows 10.
win10.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Anyone know if the Presonus built in instruments can be made the same size in the browser as the other vst's as I think that they stand out like a sore thumb. I have managed to hide them,but is there an option to make them small like the others ?

Another problem is vst scanning, or lack of, it seems to take an eternity and then get stuck. Anyone else finding this ?

dellboy wrote:Another problem is vst scanning, or lack of, it seems to take an eternity and then get stuck. Anyone else finding this ?
Interesting. My ~390 VST plugins actually scanned in without incident after what did seem like a very long time for the initial scan; subsequent scans were much faster. I have yet to verify that all of the plugins have been catalogued by SO 4 (e.g. all the individual plugins managed by a shell DLL).

I did however experience a freeze that forced me to kill SO 4 during the embedded install process to install Presonus content from my Presonus account. The workaround is to download the content from the Presonus web site and install manually.
Last edited by tonedef71 on Fri May 25, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firepile wrote:
THE INTRANCER wrote:I was down at the beach today, relaxing in the beautiful sunshine among the craggy rocks... the background image wallpaper is a photo of the sea I took with my digital video camera... quite relaxing methinks. :)

Works fine in Windows 10.
win10.jpg
Thanks for sharing. I did not know to select "system" from the drop-down box.

Spent the last 3 hours trying to find a fix / utility to force Studio One 4.0 to not use Hi DPI mode, no luck, other than finding apps which identify Studio One 4.0 as being Hi-DPI aware.

Changing font scaling to 100% makes it look awful at 1080P resolutions sitting 1 meter away from a 24" screen for a person with perfect 20/20 vision and doesn't wear glasses, text is tiny and barely readable and there for eye straining. Re-scaling fonts anywhere between 100% and 125% results in blurring and fuzziness.

The video I showed above does not affect Studio One 4.0's Hi-DPI setting whilst under Windows 7 64 Bit.

It disables the display scaling; it does not disable high DPI. Display scaling is a backwards compatibility feature that lets bad apps render at 96 DPI and be scaled to whatever DPI the screen is set to (as a bitmap). Some older apps handle High DPI correctly but don't declare it, so they shouldn't fall into the "bad app bucket" that get blurry UI. This setting disables this scaling and tells the app what the real DPI is; it doesn't let the app run at 96 DPI as if DPI scaling were not enabled.

Presonus need to put the Hi-DPI exclusion box back in Studio One 4.0 for users that use Studio One just as it is in Studio One 3.0. / 3.56.

The Windows 7 platform currently still holds at 40.08% of the world global market share, much higher than Windows 8.1 at just 7.93%.

http://gs.statcounter.com/os-version-ma ... /worldwide
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Fri May 25, 2018 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dellboy wrote: Another problem is vst scanning, or lack of, it seems to take an eternity and then get stuck. Anyone else finding this ?
Nope, supper snappy - 240 plug ins! Scans every time now but takes about 5 seconds to boot in (Win 10 64), you must have a bad 'un in there (at least one S1 thinks is bad)- can you see which one is stopping at?
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”