Anybody believe in a Kontakt6?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have thought about getting the full version of Kontakt for some time now and just realised that Kontakt5 is old, as in really old. Released in 2011! Yikes. That is almost like vintage for hardware and stoneage for software. Feels iffy to buy something that old for 400ish euros.

Why have they not released a version6? Is it perfect? Nahh, I could think of a few things to add (like actual sampling).

So what is the deal here? Why is there no Kontakt6 yet?

It's had a ton of updates since the initial launch - 5.8 popped out only a month ago.

And I'd be careful about what you wish for. People clamoured for Battery 4. Then it came out. And all the songs were about how much they loved Battery 3 and why did it have to die.

Gamma-UT wrote:It's had a ton of updates since the initial launch - 5.8 popped out only a month ago.

And I'd be careful about what you wish for. People clamoured for Battery 4. Then it came out. And all the songs were about how much they loved Battery 3 and why did it have to die.
You are so right :lol:

Besides, regarding the option to actually sample, I still don't get it why would someone want to sample directly. In the old times, if we sampled outside the sample, we would have a really hard time transferring the sound to the sampler (usually, we would need to use some slow transfer protocol, like SDS).

Nowadays, it's just a matter of browsing to a folder and load the samples. What's so difficult about it?
Fernando (FMR)

Yeah, there's a lot of concern trolling regarding 'really sampling' around these parts.

400 euros, yeah? Nostalgia: I remember well the Ensoniq Mirage, 8-bits sampling with no memory to loop hardly at all for 4 x that. and a display the size of my thumb. And edit points had to be described in hex.
You kids today.

GearNostalgia wrote:I have thought about getting the full version of Kontakt for some time now and just realised that Kontakt5 is old, as in really old. Released in 2011! Yikes. That is almost like vintage for hardware and stoneage for software. Feels iffy to buy something that old for 400ish euros.

Why have they not released a version6? Is it perfect? Nahh, I could think of a few things to add (like actual sampling).

So what is the deal here? Why is there no Kontakt6 yet?
In Kontakt's case version number doesn't mean a thing, it received so many updates since 2011 that if you asked me what's the latest version I would say Kontakt 7, because it feels that way.
Kontakt even received a GUI change along the way since then.
Second thing, Kontakt is an industry standard the same way Photoshop is. It's used in mom's basements over gaming industry to biggest Hollywood studios. That's why you don't go and release new version every month like a clown but you even have to stretch updates because the market is gigantic and thousands and thousands of people are dependent on your software and use it professionally on a daily basis and you can't go and start dumping updates or new versions frequently.

Why it's 400 euros? Because it's dominating the market, not a single sampler throughout years came close to it, unfortunately. While everyone was sleeping, someone else went to dominate the market and when your sampler has no real competition and becomes a standard then it's 100 times harder to dethrone it even with better sampler because that better sampler won't have thousands and thousands of sound libraries available. Then people who are just creating music would need to wait for like 5 years that creators of sound libraries start to use that sampler and create sound libraries for that sampler too.
99,98% of people who use Kontakt never sampled a thing in their life, they are just using sound libraries made for Kontakt.

Anybody believe in a Kontakt6?

IN A WORLD...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGNqI6RYBrQ

brainzistor wrote:

99,98% of people who use Kontakt never sampled a thing in their life, they are just using sound libraries made for Kontakt.
So really its a glorified rompler and not a sampler.

Trouble is, as far as I know, there is no way to use it like a rompler and audition sounds easily.

Thats why it sits on my hard drive and never sees the light of day.

...and so it begins.

dellboy wrote:
brainzistor wrote:

So really its a glorified rompler and not a sampler.

Trouble is, as far as I know, there is no way to use it like a rompler and audition sounds easily.

Thats why it sits on my hard drive and never sees the light of day.
Romplers usually have fixed sample pool and you can't add your own. "Sampler" as a word can also be deconstructed as "sample player", not just as a "sample recorder", ehehe.

In any case, yes, there IS a way to use it like a rompler and audition sounds easily, within Komplete Kontrol.

So, GearNostalgia is complaining that something is vintage and stoneage! And it cannot sample! Oh, the irony..........

EvilDragon wrote:
Romplers usually have fixed sample pool and you can't add your own. "Sampler" as a word can also be deconstructed as "sample player", not just as a "sample recorder", ehehe.

In any case, yes, there IS a way to use it like a rompler and audition sounds easily, within Komplete Kontrol.
I was hoping that someone would say, "hey, all you got to do is go into the options menu and".............

But, as its you, and I doubt anyone on planet earth knows more about kontakt, I think its safe to say that it is no good as a rompler unless I buy an expensive controller. This would mean selling my i-rig keyboard and two novation keyboards just to do something that lots of romplers do easily.

Is there really no addon or something to do this ?

What about Akai vip 3 - do kontakt presets show up in that ?

dellboy wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

I was hoping that someone would say, "hey, all you got to do is go into the options menu and".............

But, as its you, and I doubt anyone on planet earth knows more about kontakt, I think its safe to say that it is no good as a rompler unless I buy an expensive controller. This would mean selling my i-rig keyboard and two novation keyboards just to do something that lots of romplers do easily.

Is there really no addon or something to do this ?
Komplete Kontrol software comes with Komplete. No controller necessary. I don't know if you can get it for free otherwise. EvilDragon may know the answer to that.

ghettosynth wrote:
Komplete Kontrol software comes with Komplete. No controller necessary. I don't know if you can get it for free otherwise. EvilDragon may know the answer to that.
I eventually found a download for the software which sort of works in demo mode. Clicking on the "buy now" icon just takes you to the NI web page with lots of stuff for sale, but I could not find this software so gave up.

After installing, and getting a blue screen, I tried all sorts of scans, but nothing really worked. In the end I kind of got it working in standalone mode. I partially got it to work as a vst, but only a few plugins showed up,and no preset list for those plugins.

Not very impressed. Akai VST3 is far better.

In standalone mode I got it to scan Kontakt 5 and work as a rompler. But really,why is this ability not already built into Kontakt ?

I don't need sampling (wouldn't mind if they added it, but wouldn't use it personally) but I'd love if they could 1) streamline the GUI a bit, and 2) make it resizable for version 6. How to streamline the GUI? They could make it slicker looking, and polish up the basic edit mode to more resemble something like Presence XT or Halion with the more advanced options down a little deeper in the GUI. I'm sure just figuring out a workflow makes sense would be a huge effort in and of itself. Then c'mon, make it scale up/down already. That text ain't getting any bigger as my eyes get older.

Anything else I'd want? Hosting VST effects would be nice. Even if only the NI VST effects. Heck, just build them all right in.

They already made it slicker looking on the outside in K5.6. I think it is pretty safe to expect that this same look is going to be carried over to edit mode in version 6.

Hosting VSTs won't happen, I'm pretty sure even though I just assume. There are other priorities much higher on the list.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”