Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend

AnX wrote:
Dune 1 is still for sale. It sounds different to Dune 2. They are different enough that you can keep both.
Its basically free in mags minus a few features. As D2 and D3 contains all D1 stuff (wavetables and filters) you can create the same and more in D2, so i dont see the point in using D1 myself. It seems quite limited to mean, with very little access to the separate layers.
That's exactly the point, I need limits, I hate excess features. With limits I achieve more than without.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
AnX wrote:
Dune 1 is still for sale. It sounds different to Dune 2. They are different enough that you can keep both.
Its basically free in mags minus a few features. As D2 and D3 contains all D1 stuff (wavetables and filters) you can create the same and more in D2, so i dont see the point in using D1 myself. It seems quite limited to mean, with very little access to the separate layers.
That's exactly the point, I need limits, I hate excess features. With limits I achieve more than without.
Depends what kinda thing you want to create. I mainly use Dune for soundscapse/atmospheres etc, complex moving sounds. The unlimited options are perfect for that.

For other stuff i often use much simpler synths.

Horses for courses etc etc blah blah...

I could also spend 3 days making a bass sound in Dune that sounds very basic, but is infact a very complex design to achieve a certain sound....but its unlikely. Nice to have the options tho. :D

Im not trying to tell you what to use, or that A is better than B. What i personally like about some of the 'big' synths is the possibilities. It can be as simple or complex as you want. You are not forced to use every parameter. :wink:

Somehow wavetable is a feature that totally repels me.
I would also have preferred an updated, aliasing-free version of Ana 1 to Ana 2 with wavetables and all that stuff.

AnX wrote:
AnX wrote:
Depends what kinda thing you want to create. I mainly use Dune for soundscapse/atmospheres etc, complex moving sounds. The unlimited options are perfect for that.

I could also spend 3 days making a bass sound in Dune that sounds very basic, but is infact a very complex design to achieve a certain sound....but its unlikely. Nice to have the options tho. :D

Im not trying to tell you what to use, or that A is better than B. What i personally like about some of the 'big' synths is the possibilities. It can be as simple or complex as you want. You are not forced to use every parameter. :wink:

Making things more complex doesn't make them better.

AnX wrote:Depends what kinda thing you want to create. I mainly use Dune for soundscapse/atmospheres etc, complex moving sounds. The unlimited options are perfect for that.
I'd say useful but nowhere near perfect, in that you can't run DUNE 2 on it's own and if you have to have a host, why not use it's features as well? Build the complexity as you need it, rather than having to deal with it whether you need it or not. It's how we all work anyway.
You say "spend", I say waste. Again, you have so many other tools at your disposal to make a sound fit a mix that there is no reason to get it perfect in the synth. And as a mix progresses it is often much easier to tweak an effect that to try and fix it in the instrument itself. (Again, it's where the complexity gets in the way.)
It can be as simple or complex as you want. You are not forced to use every parameter. :wink:
Yes, but you are very often forced to wade through every parameter to get to the one you need to change. DUNE is a perfect example of this, where you can hear some envelope modulation but you're not sure where it's coming from because the patch is using 4 voices and DUNE itself has two ADSRs on the front panel plus a bunch of MSEGs, any of which could be doing the modulation. Sure, you can work it out from the Mod Matrix, but that's also hidden behind tabs on a tiny screen in the middle of a vast GUI. On something like The Legend, that would be apparent immediately, allowing you to get on with your work, whilst simultaneously bringing the discussion back on topic. My work here is done.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Bugger! I should have posted this one first.
bbtr wrote:Hey, if your attention span is a few seconds max (for whatever reason) - maybe complex synths are not for you.
Or maybe some of us have better things to do with our limited time than wading through endless screens and tabs to get what we need out of a synth that pointlessly tries to be all things to all people? The whole paradigm is outdated but people with limited thinking still gobble it up so that's what we have to put up with most of the time.
fluffy_little_something wrote:He should update Dune 1 or Hydra instead as many people like that more basic concept, but would like it with the latest sound quality.
Why stop at Hydra? Why not go all the way back to Junglist? Or Scorpion? Actually, I use Scorpion a lot more than any of Synapse's other VSTi, and not the latest version but the original that didn't have pointless effects, or I used to until we moved to 64 bit.
chk071 wrote:Features are good. :)
Sure, features are great but why do you need every feature in every synth? Wouldn't it be much easier if you had 10 synths that all had different features, rather than 10 synths that all have the same features? Because the latter is the direction we are still headed and I don't see the point in it at all. It makes sense with hardware - most of us can't afford to have 20 or 30 hardware synths to cover all our bases - but in software we can have 100 instruments for the cost of one hardware synth and it doesn't affect anything.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

A musical instrument has a focus. It has a musical identity. In the virtual world this is amplified because you can take it as far as you want, so where does it stop? The more complicated you make it, the less quality you get out of software, and in today’s DAW’s... anything is possible. I do think Legend should have a few more poly voices though. It’s a balance of what you want to do vs the quality you want.

Then of course, there are the ever present preset designers. Waiting just off the shallows for the light to get low and strike. Like a fat bass in a pond.

Some people like complex synths, some people like simpler synths, some people only like certain complex synths and certain simpler synths because they need to connect with an instrument in intangible ways, and the vast majority of people don't care about synths at all.

Dasheesh wrote: where does it stop? The more complicated you make it, the less quality you get out of software,
I just opened up 22 automation parameters for a samples library instrument. For reasons. I'm shaping the sound by it. It's probably overcomplicated per this argument, which I don't buy accordingly. I got much more out of the software than someone going 'ok this is it, this is the instrument, I'll feed it some notes and I'm done.'.

There are things other people do than you will do since they aren't you.

Dasheesh wrote:
AnX wrote:
AnX wrote:

Making things more complex doesn't make them better.
I didnt say that :roll:

BONES wrote:
AnX wrote:Depends what kinda thing you want to create. I mainly use Dune for soundscapse/atmospheres etc, complex moving sounds. The unlimited options are perfect for that.
I'd say useful but nowhere near perfect, in that you can't run DUNE 2 on it's own and if you have to have a host, why not use it's features as well? Build the complexity as you need it, rather than having to deal with it whether you need it or not. It's how we all work anyway.
You say "spend", I say waste. Again, you have so many other tools at your disposal to make a sound fit a mix that there is no reason to get it perfect in the synth. And as a mix progresses it is often much easier to tweak an effect that to try and fix it in the instrument itself. (Again, it's where the complexity gets in the way.)
It can be as simple or complex as you want. You are not forced to use every parameter. :wink:
Yes, but you are very often forced to wade through every parameter to get to the one you need to change. DUNE is a perfect example of this, where you can hear some envelope modulation but you're not sure where it's coming from because the patch is using 4 voices and DUNE itself has two ADSRs on the front panel plus a bunch of MSEGs, any of which could be doing the modulation. Sure, you can work it out from the Mod Matrix, but that's also hidden behind tabs on a tiny screen in the middle of a vast GUI. On something like The Legend, that would be apparent immediately, allowing you to get on with your work, whilst simultaneously bringing the discussion back on topic. My work here is done.
As i always start my patches from scratch, your points are moot.

BONES wrote: Sure, features are great but why do you need every feature in every synth? Wouldn't it be much easier if you had 10 synths that all had different features, rather than 10 synths that all have the same features?
It would be better if i had ONE synth with ALL the features i need. No need to keep buying anything else. (I pretty much have that anyway)

Dasheesh wrote:The more complicated you make it, the less quality you get out of software
Bullshit.

BONES wrote:Sure, you can work it out from the Mod Matrix, but that's also hidden behind tabs on a tiny screen in the middle of a vast GUI

Hidden? You click on the mod matrix tab and its right there. One click. Its not a secret.
BONES wrote:On something like The Legend, that would be apparent immediately.
Yes, by clicking on a tab you see the "back" of the gui to reveal the mod matrix etc etc, so its one click.... oh wait, thats the same as Dune :dog:

GUI design seems to still be generally catering for the lowest common denominator and assuming screen real estate is a premium. Many people now have large screens, and when sound designing on a specific VST a lot of people would be happy for the VST to go full screen, whilst a lot of GUI designers are now offering scaling (which is incredibly nessesery) I am surprised that most don’t offer a bigger, different layout where all the controls behind tabs or windows are put on a 1 screen GUI so that everything can be seen and mapped and nothing is hidden. I know UHE did this as an alternative skin for Bazzile but I have seen far to few GUI designers do this, and scaling and full screen modes normally just result in a lot of free space or just bigger existing controls.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Instruments”