Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
Mushy Mushy
KVRAF

9370 posts since 6 Sep, 2008

Postby Mushy Mushy; Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:38 am Basic(?) video editing. What would I need for the included example?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW6MB6lC6ig

It's a still image with two moving elements (ground and lightning). It looks simple and complicated all at the same time.

Also, could a newb pull off something acceptable?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"
AsPeeXXXVIII
KVRist

275 posts since 17 Aug, 2015, from Finland

Postby AsPeeXXXVIII; Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:30 am Re: Basic(?) video editing. What would I need for the included example?

That's certainly no basic video editing trickery. My guess is that it's made in something like After Effects - that's as much as I'm able to say.
"Creativity is a lot like sex. When it's spontaneous, it's good, but forcing it makes it bad."
My metal music | My electronic music
Mushy Mushy
KVRAF

Postby Mushy Mushy; Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:11 pm Re: Basic(?) video editing. What would I need for the included example?

AsPeeXXXVIII wrote:That's certainly no basic video editing trickery. My guess is that it's made in something like After Effects - that's as much as I'm able to say.

Thanks I'll check out After Effects.
However in hindsight I really don't have time for yet another hobby, unfortunately.
funky lime
KVRian

1093 posts since 17 Sep, 2002

Postby funky lime; Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:51 am Re: Basic(?) video editing. What would I need for the included example?

It looks like perhaps a combination of alpha channels and chroma key. It shouldn't be too hard to do this in a few hours, with some experimentation and some youtubing. It's just a matter of having the right footage to make the different layers. It looks like there are different ones for the ground, the sky, and the tree. Maybe try capturing a winamp visualizer or something? (do people still use winamp?)

The lightning looks like a rather generic filter/plugin you can download.

BTW there are a lot of free alternatives to After Effects. Fusion, Nuke, Hitfilm Express, Natron, and a couple others all have free versions.
Mushy Mushy
KVRAF

Postby Mushy Mushy; Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:30 pm Re: Basic(?) video editing. What would I need for the included example?

funky lime wrote:It looks like perhaps a combination of alpha channels and chroma key. It shouldn't be too hard to do this in a few hours, with some experimentation and some youtubing. It's just a matter of having the right footage to make the different layers. It looks like there are different ones for the ground, the sky, and the tree. Maybe try capturing a winamp visualizer or something? (do people still use winamp?)

BTW there are a lot of free alternatives to After Effects. Fusion, Nuke, Hitfilm Express, Natron, and a couple others all have free versions.

Hi Mr Lime,

Thanks for your info.

I'm not that interested in the lightning TBH, more the ground swell. I'll check out the free options you've identified and have a play over the weekend :tu:
funky lime
KVRian

Postby funky lime; Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:10 am Re: Basic(?) video editing. What would I need for the included example?

Was having a play last night with HitFilm Express (free) and Davinci Resolve (free and super powerful, but painfully slow on my system). It seems to be a combination of alpha masks, and playing around with composite/blend modes between layers. You shouldn't really even need After Effects or that sort of advanced compositing software; a non-linear editor seems like it should probably get you close enough anyway.

You could probably use something like OBS (a free screen capture software, suitable for gaming) to capture the output of some trippy MilkDrop or AVS visualization, and use that footage as your layer on top of a still image. Just play around with the blend modes. Probably forget what I said about chroma key in the previous post, as that's something you might not need for this.

You've inspired me anyway, I'm going to play around a bit more tonight, and if I get something workable, I can let you know and show you how I did it. Keep in mind, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, but I have a roommate who used to work in video production so I can also ask her about it this evening.

OpenShot is another freebie, open source too I believe, that seems to be a powerful NLE with a significantly less complicated interface than other programs.
pekbro
KVRAF

1800 posts since 29 Sep, 2010, from Maui

Postby pekbro; Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:26 am Re: Basic(?) video editing. What would I need for the included example?

To me it looks like just a simple composite with 3 layers a couple of masks, a simple lightning
effect and some layer rotation. You could easily do that solely in photoshop or the like, no need
even for a video editor.
chk071
KVRAF

15797 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:28 am Re: Basic(?) video editing. What would I need for the included example?

funky lime wrote:It looks like perhaps a combination of alpha channels and chroma key. It shouldn't be too hard to do this in a few hours, with some experimentation and some youtubing. It's just a matter of having the right footage to make the different layers. It looks like there are different ones for the ground, the sky, and the tree. Maybe try capturing a winamp visualizer or something? (do people still use winamp?)

In addition to that, there was an offering (actually 2 times) on Humble Bundle some time ago, where you could pick up Vegas 14 Pro Edit for 17 €. The Hitfilm Express effects, and the other stuff will also be available in Vegas then.
funky lime
KVRian

Postby funky lime; Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:23 am Re: Basic(?) video editing. What would I need for the included example?

So my roommate said to just do it in photoshop, no video software required, just as pekbro said above. It really is just a matter of creating masks, and blending layers; provided you have all the assets already, it actually is pretty simple to get there, as long as you have the patience to get the detail of the masks just right.

edit:
Here's something I was able to bang out in about 15 minutes. Granted, I didn't do anything too extensive, and I didn't spend much time doing the mask (just a quick lasso tool job).
-Use the photo as a background layer
-create a selection using magic wand, lasso, etc.
-drop your trippy video asset in (i used ScreenToGif to capture an animation from photomosh)
-create video timeline
-add vector mask (from selection you made) to the new video layer
-change video layer's blend mode and opacity (i just experimented, ended up on "overlay" mode at 34% opacity)

i know it sucks. it's just a proof of concept, and is my first attempt at anything like this.

as for looping, adjusting speed, etc, i haven't tried any of that yet. i'm sure there are tutorials on youtube to figure that stuff out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNxJaRL ... e=youtu.be
Mushy Mushy
KVRAF

Postby Mushy Mushy; Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:05 am Re: Basic(?) video editing. What would I need for the included example?

Looks great for a first attempt. Seems it isn't as difficult as we first anticipated then.
I'm really looking forward to trying this out over the weekend.

A few more examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6iyRZolshM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5A655F_YUc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4BtMGFvYFo
Mushy Mushy
KVRAF

Postby Mushy Mushy; Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:08 am Re: Basic(?) video editing. What would I need for the included example?

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic