Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
Aloysius
KVRAF

21655 posts since 11 Aug, 2008, from a computer

Postby Aloysius; Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:14 pm Re: Battery 4 sucks in 2018?

B4 has a lot more to offer than just a pretty GUI. What about some of the stuff in B4 that's not in B3?

<copy and paste>

EFFECTS EVERYWHERE
BATTERY 4 delivers powerful on-board effects – SOLID EQ, SOLID BUS COMP, TRANSIENT MASTER, tape saturation, LoFi, and a powerful convolution reverb. Apply them to cells, groups of cells or to the master outs. Create chains, re-order effects, and sidechain with drag-and-drop ease on four busses and the master channel.

</copy and paste>

Does that really seem like a 'crippled version of B3' to you?
Impeach 64. Keep 32-bit Plug-ins alive.
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF

9977 posts since 24 May, 2009, from A galaxy, far far away

Postby el-bo (formerly ebow); Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:00 pm Re: Battery 4 sucks in 2018?

Jace-BeOS wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:They probably spent a lot of developer time recreating the GUI's basics from scratch, only to lose steam in the last 10% of the job (often regarded as 90% of the work) and push Battery 4 to market prematurely, without finishing all the finer details.

I don't think it has anything to do with being rushed-to-release. Were that the case, they could have easily re-introduced these features in the years since release.

I never underestimate the laziness of developers, or the stupidity of product development priorities. Getting their priority features re-implemented, and then selling the product as "NEW!", very often results in the "lower priority" features never being completed. Especially at corporations that focus mostly on one product. If none of those features have been put back since 2014, then they're never going to do so and are clearly not interested in Battery anymore. What other explanation is there for dropping perfectly good workflow functions?

When I watched that video of lost features, I thought "those are exactly the kinds of workflow features that make a quality user experience... and now they're gone."

What a shame.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Maybe they wanted to maintain a larger feature divide between Maschine and Battery (This assumes these features are present in Maschine, which is something I can't claim to know).

I don't know all the details of Mashine, but I can tell NI are nearly 100% focused on it, so it seems obvious they're favoring Mashine over Battery. Crippling one product to favor another is foolish and arrogant. Mashine isn't remotely a product I'm interested in. I'm a musician with a perfectly usable DAW, not a "beatmaker" looking to play with loops in a schizophrenic tool that sells hardware (yet more hardware which is useless garbage should the software become unavailable).

I had Battery on my list of interests because it seemed like a good tool for creating unique drum kits, since I don't have such a tool with any kind of sensible workflow for samples (I hate Logic's UltraBeat; I'd love if Propellerhead Reason's Kong was an AudioUnit plugin... with a larger GUI). But now I know better about NI's thinking on Battery (very little thought). It's just going to keep me away from ever wasting my money on, and time learning, Battery.

Mashine helped kill Kore; next it will kill Battery?

Meh. My struggle with buggy-ass text selection in shitty-ass iOS Safari has made me much more irritated while typing this than I should be about this topic; sorry for the rant (not going to do any more editing; screw you, Apple; these bugs have been here since iOS 7 and never fixed!!!).

I was only really speculating. Who really knows their motivation? Either way, I never had a problem with B3, and i still don't with B4. Mind you, I was never a power user.

I still use them for their included kits, but I will likely sample the sounds into Geist 2 as it allows manipulation and processing on a whole other level
CrystalWizard
KVRian

509 posts since 10 Jul, 2008, from north sf bay, ca, usa

Postby CrystalWizard; Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:30 am Re: Battery 4 sucks in 2018?

Dewdman42 wrote:Battery3 is yesterday's news. move on.

No, it’s not. We’re discussing it here and now.
gadgets an gizmos...make noise
http://gardenofsensualdelight.com/DBAR.html apologies for broken links, a contruction team is on the way
https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness
noiseboyuk
KVRAF

2230 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Postby noiseboyuk; Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:22 am Re: Battery 4 sucks in 2018?

Aloysius wrote:B4 has a lot more to offer than just a pretty GUI. What about some of the stuff in B4 that's not in B3?

<copy and paste>

EFFECTS EVERYWHERE
BATTERY 4 delivers powerful on-board effects – SOLID EQ, SOLID BUS COMP, TRANSIENT MASTER, tape saturation, LoFi, and a powerful convolution reverb. Apply them to cells, groups of cells or to the master outs. Create chains, re-order effects, and sidechain with drag-and-drop ease on four busses and the master channel.

</copy and paste>

Quite.

Battery three definitely had some plusses, but dismissing B4 as a crippled B3 with a fancy GUI is daft. The binary world of KVR opinion.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.afterschoolvideoclub.com/
W10 Pro Creators Edition, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2018 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 9
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF

4566 posts since 7 Jan, 2005, from Corporate States of America

Postby Jace-BeOS; Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:11 am Re: Battery 4 sucks in 2018?

I'm not dismissing it casually or wit a "binary absolutist" mentality. I seriously find the workflow changes to be foolish. While learning about the version 3 workflow, I realized I've been missing out. But, wait, that workflow is gone in version 4, so I'm not missing out anymore.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF

9977 posts since 24 May, 2009, from A galaxy, far far away

Postby el-bo (formerly ebow); Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:06 am Re: Battery 4 sucks in 2018?

noiseboyuk wrote:
Aloysius wrote:B4 has a lot more to offer than just a pretty GUI. What about some of the stuff in B4 that's not in B3?

<copy and paste>

EFFECTS EVERYWHERE

</copy and paste>

Quite.

Battery three definitely had some plusses, but dismissing B4 as a crippled B3 with a fancy GUI is daft. The binary world of KVR opinion.

To clarify: I am not suggesting B4 is crippled, which is a relative term anyway. For my uses, I prefer B4, especially now that I know that I can bring the B3 libraries into B4.
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments