Any midi keys than can transmit notes at fixed or max velocity?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I ask because I keep coming across gear that always responds to key velocity to volume, even when it's not appropriate to the sound . I think there are, or were, utility boxes you insert in the midi connection that change note velocity to a fixed value - but are there any controller keyboards that can do this?
I don't mean different sensitivity curves that still always have some velocity sensitive response - I really do want a fixed velocity no matter how you strike the key.
*20 plus years of using midi and this is still driving me nuts!

Any synth without velocity will do that. MicroBrute for example. Some older midi keyboards too ... more modern controllers are likely to have control over velocity, so you can set it to 0% and forget about it.

more modern controllers are likely to have control over velocity, so you can set it to 0% and forget about it.
I'm not finding any - mostly because I would have to look through loads of manual pdf's to find if it can do it. The manufacturers don't mention it in headline spec's. You often have a selection of velocity reponse curves.

Many that I've seen have fixed as one of the sensitivity curves, then separately a value for that fixed in settings somewhere.

Hard, medium hard, soft, medium soft, fixed or similar.

Probably WAY more than you need or want to spend, but the Roland System-8 has a button to completely turn velocity off, with the additional option to set the fixed velocity level within the settings (default is 100 I believe, but you can make it whatever you want).

The Komplete Kontrol series (at least the MK2 models) have a "Fixed Vel" button which forces the keyboard into a fixed 127 velocity for all keys.

Personally I'd have preferred this to be a customizable value (I'd have used 95 instead of 127), but I've used it on my Komplete Kontrol S49 MK2 and it works just fine.

My Novation sl mkii can use one of a few built in velocity curves (unfortunately none totally to my liking, but thats another issue) or you can set it to any fixed velocity between 8 and 127 from the front panel menu.

I would rather use a MIDI plugin in my DAW to do this, rather than faff around with midi controller settings, but there are quite a few keyboards that have these options, you just might need to dig into the settings a bit

Most extensive midi handling is probably Hammond organs like XK1, XK3, XK5 etc.

You can get both velocity based on one channel, and fixed on another - on each keypress.
And shallow key operation for fixed - so first contact sends or when velocity when key is more down. Fixed send at velocity 100 all the time.

External midi zones have plenty settings for each external zone. Own range of keys, own settings for expression pedal operation etc. So an external zone duplicate internal settings - and for each preset patch.

So Hammond as masterkeyboard is not that bad. And you got proper Hammond sound at your fingertips as well.

A used XK1 or XK1c is not higher priced than many strict midi keyboards.

To be more complete on my needs - I'm looking for a small utility keyboard, for those times when the hardware doesn't have a "keys" keyboard. I do own larger keys that could serve, it's just that they aren't at all suitable for the utility role.
I'm finding that digital keyboard synths generally have velocity control managed in the audio engine, the keyboards always transmit with what seems to be a linear velocity curve. Now, there are samplers/groove boxes that don't have velocity sensitive note creation on board, but do allow it when played externally over midi with no means of their own to modify velocity response - no doubt assuming the source is managing it.

Must have...
25 to 49 keys.
Mod & Bend (by any means).
5pin DIN midi output.
External power.
Full size keys (or close to).

Does not need...
Drum pads.
Daw integration.

There are quite a few on the market that don't make the list because they are USB only.
Several that waste money on control pads, DAW integration etc.

After some manual diving, the Alesis Q25 has variable velocity response.
This is what it says...
"VELOCITY

Press this key to set the DATA ENTRY SLIDER to adjust
the note velocity. Increasing this value increases the
MIDI velocity value generated by a light key press. "

Is it safe to assume that a maximum setting here is at or near a full velocity option?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”