Best Piano - PIANOTEQ

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pianoteq Studio Bundle

Has somebody compared Pianoteq with NI Una Corda?

I have exactly the same feeling with pianoteq , while I think the achievement of getting where they are now is nothing short of amazing .
There is still that unnatural feeling , especialy when playing at higher velocity settings .
The initial transient /attack , the partials/harmonics are beating in a strange way .

But in the end I would choose pianoteq over any multigigabyte sample pack
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I do understand that.

I’ve never heard a sampled piano come close to Pianoteq’s generation of sustained note interaction. Hold down a chord in the higher octave, or play a chord where the dampers are not installed, and then play a sympathetic low octave note. You’ll hear aspects of the low note dynamically shift phase due to the higher notes. There simply is no way for a purely sampled piano to accomplish this.

This is a huge part of why Pianoteq sounds very close to a real piano to my ears. Of course this is all subjective...
Feel free to call me Brian.

That (and other points) is an excellent argument for modeling vs samples.
I think the sound isn't there. Which doesn't have to mean anything for anybody else.
If it's close enough for rock 'n roll...

If I were to do a lot of exposed, really solo piano, I def would consider it. As it is, that sort of thing appeals to me in and of itself but it's going to do anything really for what I actually do.

btw, in case anyone missed it, Modartt is working on Organteq:

https://www.modartt.com/organteq

Wondering if they’ll do a Hammond?

Making yet another Hammond is probably not what would be enthralling. There are already so many Hammond emulations, and which are already excellent. So a new one... what for ?

There are so many wonderful organs which have been totally forgotten while being much more interesting to make revive today, for modern music as well as for classical music or for post-romantic music.

I don't want to say that the Hammond organs are not interesting. They are. They even are great. But yet another Hammond emulation ? Meh...

Let's make revive forgotten gems, as the Jerome Markowitz organs, the Allens organs, the Roland organs, the Yamaha organs, the Technics organs, the Eminent organs, the Wurlitzer organs, the Robb Wave organs, the Langegard organs, the Gothenburg organs... and so many others which would deserve a wonderful new popularity by excellent emulations.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

dickiefunk wrote:Wondering if they’ll do a Hammond?
Don't think they will.

EvilDragon wrote:
dickiefunk wrote:Wondering if they’ll do a Hammond?
Don't think they will.
Ok. Well VB3 is still sounding good.

Indeed. GGaudio Blue3 is even better in most cases.

How pianoteq compare to Studio logic Grand with piano samples libraries?

With each new version Pianoteq is getting closer to my favorite sampled libraries. I wouldn't be surprised if it even surpasses them by version 9 or 10. It's amazing what physical modeling can achieve, and it's future is bright.

nichttuntun wrote: Hi. Yes everything about the technical differences is absolutely clear to me and was before. I have other physical modeled instruments already. I just referred to the sound itself and their differences. In Ivory II you can tweak the resonance and you can choose how loud/long the resulting "shimmering" (metallic sounding ringing of the strings) effect resonates till it fades out. It has soft samples that means you can play with the soft-pedal too. The Sympathetic Resonance (interaction) is great because they don´t have samples, they emulated that with an build in modeled engine. For instance you press permanently down C and on the upper G, the octave and so on (Overtone-Series) you hear the Sympathetic resonance. Sounds really good and makes everything realistic. Plus you have absolutely no building up noise floor. The pedal noise (important part of a pianos sound) sounds great of its own. They sampled a key-release sound and the key-sound itself is convincing too.

The only advantage I see that Pianoteq comes along is the small installation size and the control if you are in sound design and want to transform a piano in something completely else - what is very cool indeed.
Well, if you don't like, you don't like it... there's nothing we can do about that. But it strange you mention all the tweakings you can do with Ivory, and then say that, in Pianoteq, "the control (is great) if you are in sound design and want to transform a piano in something completely else". No, it's not just that. It is great also for you to tweak the sound of a specific model, adding to it those specific details you are mentioning regarding Ivory. Everything you can do in Ivory, you an do in Pianoteq - not the opposite.

Regarding the demos, it doesn't matter how many demos you have listened. Each piece was played with only one model, and one preset. Pick a MIDI file you like, and that you have tweaked Ivory to your taste, download Pianoteq Pro demo, and try to look for a similar sound using one preset form the (many) models available. Then look about all the tweaking options you have.

Again, it's not about transforming a piano into something else (that too, can be done, of course) but about tweaking the sound to our taste.
Last edited by fmr on Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

BlackWinny wrote:Making yet another Hammond is probably not what would be enthralling. There are already so many Hammond emulations, and which are already excellent. So a new one... what for ?

There are so many wonderful organs which have been totally forgotten while being much more interesting to make revive today, for modern music as well as for classical music or for post-romantic music.

I don't want to say that the Hammond organs are not interesting. They are. They even are great. But yet another Hammond emulation ? Meh...

Let's make revive forgotten gems, as the Jerome Markowitz organs, the Allens organs, the Roland organs, the Yamaha organs, the Technics organs, the Eminent organs, the Wurlitzer organs, the Robb Wave organs, the Langegard organs, the Gothenburg organs... and so many others which would deserve a wonderful new popularity by excellent emulations.
I've been saying this for years, however people are deaf, all they have in their ears and in front of their eyes is: HAMMOND

That said, Organteq is going to be a pipe organ emu, not an emu of electro-mechanical, analog or digital organs.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

Return to “Instruments”