Best synthesizer for a home studio (professional analog sound)

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys :)
It’s a while since I bought myself the first software synthesizer! Thanks to all of you who helps me with the decision!

Why:

I played a lot with my digital software synth, but now it’s time for an upgrade! I really wanna buy a new synthesizer!

I would love to get an analog one :) do you think that analoge synthesizer still sound better than digital imitations like “diva” and others?

The reason for me to buy a analog synthesizer is to get a really professional sound. I want to be able to earn my money one day with digital composition...

What:
so I could spend around 2000 €

What do you think about:

-Korg Prologe 8 and 16
-moogs subsequent 37
-a modular euro rack synthesizer

I’m really interested in this warm analog sound and to be able to experiment a lot and create sounds that I could use in my compositions.

Thanks for reading so far and pls let me know what you think!! :)

I'd get a DeepMind 12 for 899 €, if i had the money. Don't think you can beat the features and voices that one has, and i think it simply sounds great. Maybe that, and the Behringer D additionally, to have a bit diversity in sound. Really down to taste though, i guess, for example, i never would buy a Korg synth, because i just don't like the sound of those. And, i don't like complicated stuff and messing with cables either, so i wouldn't buy a modular synth either.

I'm looking at the Dreadbox Abyss as a potential buy ... 4 voice analog polysynth. Sounds great in some of the youtube demos. It sounds different enough to my SUB37 to tempt me. Another one to check out is Elektron's Analog Four.

wurschtel wrote:I would love to get an analog one :) do you think that analoge synthesizer still sound better than digital imitations like “diva” and others?

Not that much.

The reason for me to buy a analog synthesizer is to get a really professional sound. I want to be able to earn my money one day with digital composition...

You can get professional sound without it, like majority of professionals these days do, also you could earn your money without it, so, have any other reasons?
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

chk071 wrote:I'd get a DeepMind 12 for 899 €, if i had the money. Don't think you can beat the features and voices that one has, and i think it simply sounds great. Maybe that, and the Behringer D additionally, to have a bit diversity in sound. Really down to taste though, i guess, for example, i never would buy a Korg synth, because i just don't like the sound of those. And, i don't like complicated stuff and messing with cables either, so i wouldn't buy a modular synth either.
I’ll look for it :) but is Behringer able to build high quality and professional gear?

thecontrolcentre wrote:I'm looking at the Dreadbox Abyss as a potential buy ... 4 voice analog polysynth. Sounds great in some of the youtube demos. It sounds different enough to my SUB37 to tempt me. Another one to check out is Elektron's Analog Four.
What’s the main difference to the sub37? Why do you recommend the dreadbox instead of the sub37? :)

Behringer have a certain "reputation", that's for sure. ;) I think they quite upped their game with their more recent gear, though.

You can get professional sound without it, like majority of professionals these days do, also you could earn your money without it, so, have any other reasons?
It just would feel nice to have a real instrument under my fingers because I’m a instrumentalist (playing percussion instruments professionally)
How can I get professional analog sound without a synthesizer? Doesn’t feel a hardware synthesizer better than a virtual one?

chk071 wrote:Behringer have a certain "reputation", that's for sure. ;) I think they quite upped their game with their more recent gear, though.
Thanks for the quick answer! in the end it’s the sound that counts :D so I’ll try to hear this synthesizer

wurschtel wrote:
It just would feel nice to have a real instrument under my fingers because I’m a instrumentalist (playing percussion instruments professionally)
How can I get professional analog sound without a synthesizer? Doesn’t feel a hardware synthesizer better than a virtual one?
IMO, analog synths still have the edge over soft synths. There are some which are really damn near, like NI's Monark, but, in general, especially when the soft synths have more voices and features, analog synths surely have the edge over them in terms of sound. On the other hand, hardware has a lot of disadvantages as well, like, cables, they take place, only allow for rendering the sounds, while, with soft synths, you can have as many instances as your CPU can take, and you always can make changes to the sounds, or, that more complex hardware often doesn't apply to the "one knob per function" paradigm. I had 2 (digital) hardware synths here so far, and i parted again with both. TBH, i'm used to a certain workflow, and, it's hard get away from that, when it has so many obvious advantages. E.g. the Waldorf Blofeld that i had here for a couple of days gave me exactly ONE advantage over the Largo soft synth which i also own. A shiny box standing on my desktop. :P Apart from that, i didn't quite see the point... guess it's something you'll have to fall in love with. Rather a physical thing. Which is fair enough as well, of course. If that's your thing.

wurschtel wrote:It just would feel nice to have a real instrument under my fingers because I’m a instrumentalist (playing percussion instruments professionally)
That's most valid reason really.
wurschtel wrote:How can I get professional analog sound without a synthesizer? Doesn’t feel a hardware synthesizer better than a virtual one?
It's mixing, not just raw sources sound, you will need to process any source to fit the mix anyways and by the end difference will get smaller and smaller.

What music do you do anyways that seeks purely analog sounds?
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

@chk071
Thanks a lot for the quick answer!

So you are basically saying that a hardware synth is not worth the extra effort (money), unless you love this physical instrument...

Hmm so that could be...

So what about those modular synthesizers? is there equivalent soft synth? Maybe Reaktor 6 Moduls?

What about the Arturia matrix brute? How is it? :)

wurschtel wrote:How can I get professional analog sound without a synthesizer? Doesn’t feel a hardware synthesizer better than a virtual one?
It's mixing, not just raw sources sound, you will need to process any source to fit the mix anyways and by the end difference will get smaller and smaller.

What music do you do anyways that seeks purely analog sounds?[/quote]

Okay, that could be easley true! :)

I compose kind of experimental music for a musician with an instrument plus tape... and stuff klicke this... I really love Nils Farm! Do you know him? Sound wise I would love to go in that direction :)

wurschtel wrote:I compose kind of experimental music for a musician with an instrument plus tape... and stuff klicke this... I really love Nils Farm! Do you know him? Sound wise I would love to go in that direction :)
Than go for it, seems like the way to go, just wanted to be sure you aren't doing any popular software made music.

wurschtel wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:I'm looking at the Dreadbox Abyss as a potential buy ... 4 voice analog polysynth. Sounds great in some of the youtube demos. It sounds different enough to my SUB37 to tempt me. Another one to check out is Elektron's Analog Four.
What’s the main difference to the sub37? Why do you recommend the dreadbox instead of the sub37? :)
SUB37 is paraphonic, with 2 oscillators. The Abyss is polyphonic, with a single oscillator and built-in fx. I wasn't recommending one over the other. I said they sound different. Have a listen to some demo's (or go try some if possible).
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wurschtel wrote:@chk071
Thanks a lot for the quick answer!

So you are basically saying that a hardware synth is not worth the extra effort (money), unless you love this physical instrument...

Hmm so that could be...

So what about those modular synthesizers? is there equivalent soft synth? Maybe Reaktor 6 Moduls?
You should also check out Softube Modular (https://www.softube.com/modular) and VCV Rack (https://vcvrack.com/. The latter is free. Modular synths are a lot of fun, but they can get very expensive. It would be good to try the software modular synths first and see if that type of workflow is something you really want to make a large investment in.
I wish I could sing as well as the voices inside my head...

http://www.cdbaby.com/darkvictory

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”