Is there a way to demo Uvi Falcon?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
RobGee
KVRist
137 posts since 11 Jan, 2014

Post Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:23 am

For me Falcon is working great. I agree that it's worrying to spend this much on something that may not work, although I've not personally heard of anyone having issues. UVI support have been faultless on the 2 times I have needed them (an expired voucher and user error) and will follow up ensuring your issue is resolved.

godly
KVRian
792 posts since 22 May, 2013 from Gent, Belgium

Re: Is there a way to demo Uvi Falcon?

Post Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:55 am

Here also looking for a demo, since I'm not sure if my computer CPU can handle Falcon.
My sounddesign: Synth1/Ex5/D-50 patches https://goo.gl/zE3pkk
My stuff: W10x64i7 15" laptop, Reaper/Cantabile3+Synth1+Avenger on stage+NordStage2+Samson Graphite 49
Loving new VPS Avenger! Check my skins! https://goo.gl/MBNJHj

sircuit
KVRian
524 posts since 15 Jul, 2016

Re: Is there a way to demo Uvi Falcon?

Post Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:18 pm

godly wrote:Here also looking for a demo, since I'm not sure if my computer CPU can handle Falcon.
That would be the last issue to think about, regarding Falcon.

Ableton Live, empty session, idle CPU 3% (laptop, quad core i7), Memory in use 2.11 GB

8x Falcons with one saw: CPU remains at 3% idle, 4% when playing a note. Live Memory with 8x Falcon: 2.13 GB
8x Avenger with one saw: CPU stays at 7% when idle and 8% when playing a note. Live Memory with 8x Avenger: 3.33 GB

I can run an entire project of 40+ Falcons (as sample player, loop player, synthesis). 32 empty Avengers bump memory use to 6 GB (32 empty Falcons have almost zero impact on memory use and idle CPU) and 22% CPU usage when idle.

Of course a single Falcon session can grow to the equivalent of dozens of Avengers (in Falcon nothing is really limited in terms of OSCS, modulations, layers) and that will seriously impact the CPU usage BUT using Falcon in a discerning manner can get you very far. Also, now many fx (Filters, distortion) can be oversampled and they will also consume CPU.

Granted, Falcon have it's share of bugs (I found them because I use it intensively, other users swear that they had not a single issue with Falcon), the UVI team released a couple of fixes in the recent weeks but that's also true for Avenger so no biggie here.
 MacBook Pro Quad-Core _ macOS High Sierra __ ♫ Logic Pro X

Return to “Instruments”