EQ with spectrum analyzer that lets you overlay a reference spectrum?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking for an eq in which i can choose a reference spectrum and make that visible by default.

Let's say i'm mixing a track to sound like Rihanna's, i'll analyze her amazing hit and i have the reference spectrum visible in all eq's i open throughout the project. (Using Save as Default if the plugin can do that.)

What i'm after is faster workflow to get (rough) mixes done. The less time i have to switch back and forth to Analyzer plugins etc the better. At the moment i'm looking at Melda's Autodynamic EQ eq which seems able.

Any other EQ's available that can do this?

zeep wrote:I'm looking for an eq in which i can choose a reference spectrum and make that visible by default.

Let's say i'm mixing a track to sound like Rihanna's, i'll analyze her amazing hit and i have the reference spectrum visible in all eq's i open throughout the project. (Using Save as Default if the plugin can do that.)

What i'm after is faster workflow to get (rough) mixes done. The less time i have to switch back and forth to Analyzer plugins etc the better. At the moment i'm looking at Melda's Autodynamic EQ eq which seems able.

Any other EQ's available that can do this?
I'm pretty sure there's at least one Voxengo EQ that can do this but I'm not sure which.

Voxengo CurveEQ. This function is probably the main reason why it's included with Cubase and Wavelab.

It's also a really good spectrum analyzer.

I know you can load reference curves in pro-q from fabfilter but I'm not sure if this setting gets saved with the project or preset.

Romantique Tp wrote:Voxengo CurveEQ.
IIRC all Voxengo plugins that has "Static spectrums display" mention in "Features & Compatibility" on their site has that function.

So in this case I think its a feature of CurveEQ, GlissEQ ...and I know SPAN Plus does it, but that one is irrelevant to the topic since it's not an EQ...

(edit: removed PrimeEQ)
Last edited by Kr3eM on Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big help all! Thanks.

Kr3em, It think GlissEQ is perfect for it. I will play around with the demo some more. Interesting and flexible plugin. PrimeEQ doesn't appear to have the "static spectrum display".

zeep wrote:PrimeEQ doesn't appear to have the "static spectrum display".
Yes you are right, my bad... corrected my comment, thanks for letting me know.

No worries, you helped a lot. It would have been a nice feature on PrimeEQ since it's the most standard eq. But Gliss is splendid.
I like that Span Plus also has the option for the static spectrum display.

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/easyssp-by-automatl

Melda's MEqualizer and MAnalyzer allows copying and pasting of spectrum analysis between instances.

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/manaly ... production
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/mequal ... production
Melda.PNG
Last edited by The Noodlist on Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

EQuivocate also does this.

Melda's MFreeformEqualizer allows spectrum analysis, storing profiles as references and EQ matching.
It also has various options, such as curve smoothing and automatic gain compensation.
It's very limited as a manual EQ, bordering useless.

I've tried the matching features within EQuivocate, Pro-Q2 and TDR slickEQ M.
MFreeformEqualizer was my favourite for frequency matching, it's easy to use and sounds good. It also has a minimum phase mode.

Every mix I put through the MFreeformEqualizer sounded clearer when matched to pink noise, showing deficiencies in my mixing. This let me know where improvements could be made. For me, it's mostly midrange mud and not enough highs.
It also is the cheaper option when it's on sale.

There's also Geraint's JSFX: Spectrum Matcher. It's a bit CPU intensive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLh6b88OvFs

HoRNet ThirtyOne, not exactly an EQ match, but an algorithm. Definitely worth a demo.

I might try MFreeformEqualizer EQ match followed by HoRNet ThirtyOne.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Can't go wrong with FabFilter or Voxengo EQ on this topic. IIRC there's a matching EQ from Vengeance in one of their bundles. But it requires dongle and you can't buy it seperately.

tokyo dawn labs SlickEQ is one of my favourite eq plugins and it has that functionality. it will even try to EQ your mix to match the reference one, if you tell it to (although this is only useful as a starting point and not as a final mix choice).

Both Carve EQ and Slice EQ from Kilohearts can do that. Carve EQ also has a Match EQ tool that instantly creates an EQ curve to match your track to the reference perfectly.

Return to “Effects”