Scripting in Studio One

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Part 1:, the basics, with more to come later over the summer as I get around to it. Unlike Reaper, Studio One users seem to not be that much into scripting (or helping themselves with it). Hopefully this series will help to change that for a few users.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YddbljbBr8
Last edited by LawrenceF on Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks for doing this. I was aware of scripting in S1 but hadn't looked into it at all. Really looking forward to learning more about this now.

thnx lawrence :) i am sure some folks will be thankful for you efforts. cheers

jay
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Thank you, much appreciated, will be keeping an eye on this :tu:
Say NO to CLAP!

Thanks Lawrence.
I need to sit quietly to concentrate on this :ud: & I see part 2 is also posted over at YT. :tu:

Thanks Don,

At some point later I may plug in a decent mic and make the voice quality a bit better. My intent was more to just do or show the thing, not so much spend a lot of time editing the voice track or writing a script for the voice over, and the cheap headset mic I used there kinda sucks balls.

It's all kinda done on the fly, the screen recordings. At any rate, the point of it all is ... "teach a man to fish, blah, blah," … and all that stuff, as just handing people fish doesn't help them quite as much.

Reaper seems to have become the geek magnet for scripting a DAW.

But this proves that you can geek out in Studio One, if you want to! :D
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Cool. Lawrence more brain food please! :) Thanks a lot.

Thanks Lawrence!

Does PreSonus provide full documentation of the internal API? Can't find anything...

tuzemec wrote:Thanks Lawrence!

Does PreSonus provide full documentation of the internal API? Can't find anything...
From the comments that I have seen on their forums, the answer is no. It appears to be a black art practiced by a select few "in the know".

zzz00m wrote:
tuzemec wrote:Thanks Lawrence!

From the comments that I have seen on their forums, the answer is no. It appears to be a black art practiced by a select few "in the know".
That's a bit disappointing...

tuzemec wrote:Does PreSonus provide full documentation of the internal API? Can't find anything...
Nope. You can use JS methods to parse objects to see some functions and explore the object model to a certain degree. That will be in one of the later vids, how to do that. It (apparently) was never intended for end users. It installs it's own script packages which are part of the core application (which are protected, not readable). It's not an official or marketed feature.

The video series will show more and functions and methods along the way and you can unzip user scripts to view the source code. Some of us who wanted to learn more about it studied and stored the unprotected StudioOneX source code (for internal method and function uses) before the author started locking the package. He was the guy who pulled the curtain back on it. He apparently took his ball and went home, discontinued it.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

LawrenceF wrote:
tuzemec wrote:Does PreSonus provide full documentation of the internal API? Can't find anything...
Nope. You can use JS methods to parse objects to see some functions and explore the object model to a certain degree. That will be in one of the later vids, how to do that. It (apparently) was never intended for end users. It installs it's own script packages which are part of the core application (which are protected, not readable). It's not an official or marketed feature.

As a side note, I do think JS being used so much around the application (some external devices, functions, etc, etc) may be part of the reason the application is maybe a bit more sensitive than some others to anti-virus. It all exists on top of underlying C++ classes but the various JS parts may trigger more false positives, especially from some of the free and more invasive a/v apps like Avira, Avg, etc.

The video series will show more and functions and methods along the way and you can unzip user scripts to view the source code. Some of us who wanted to learn more about it studied and stored the unprotected StudioOneX source code (for internal method and function uses) before the author started locking the package. He was the guy who pulled the curtain back on it. He apparently took his ball and went home, discontinued it.
I was wandering what happened with StudioOneX lately. Really miss the middle mouse button panning. Didn't use the other functions all that much, but this was golden.

tuzemec wrote: Really miss the middle mouse button panning. Didn't use the other functions all that much, but this was golden.
Yeah. That wasn't scripting, that part of it. That was a Windows dll hack of sorts. IIRC, he replaced or hijacked the mp3 dll or something to do that. That guy is a professional level coder capable of doing some really low level stuff. The JS parts of the StudioOneX package were not (when viewing the source code) all that complex really, except for where he wrote some nice JS functions to do some things he wanted to do, his deeper understanding of the JS language is general.

Here is a free online JavaScript tutorial for anybody interested in digging into it (includes an interactive "Try it yourself" editor - no software install needed other than your browser): https://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp

And here is a free online copy of the book (downloadable as a PDF) "Eloquent javaScript, 3rd Edition" (for those that like to read- sorry no videos): http://eloquentjavascript.net/
This is a book about JavaScript, programming, and the wonders of the digital. You can read it online here, or get your own paperback copy of the second edition. A paper third edition is expected to be available this October.
A good basic intro to JavaScript, or coding in general, for anybody! :tu:

And just for fun, this is an entertaining web presentation called "What is Code?" :D
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015 ... t-is-code/
Hint: all the cool animations on the page are made with JavaScript. :wink:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”