Is SoundForge good?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I heard a while ago that Burial produced his music using this software, from what I hear it is quite limiting in its capability, just wanted to hear thoughts on this?

Considering it is intended to be used just as a stereo audio editor, it probably is quite limiting for music production use. :lol: (It appears to now have some multitrack capabilities, but that's not how the software started as...)

Yes, it’s good. That’s why it remains popular since the Windows 3 version in the early 90’s.
Weather or not you’ll have more use for it than your current wav editor is a different question though.
And it won’t make you sound like Burial.

I think it depends what you want from it, but for me it's perfect.
For the way i use it, it's strong points are the acid looping buttons, which means, when you select an area of audio, it will tell you the bpm, and also let half or double the selection exactly with one click. This is awesome for things like detecting the bpm of a vocal track, because you can highlight a bar, and nudge the highlight 50 times to the right, to make sure you've guessed the correct bpm.
Or if you recorded a great sounding wave in your daw, you can open in soundforge, select an exact 130bpm loop, and paste to new file. From there you can use Soundforge's plugin-chain feature, to apply a string of fx (inc vst), and even automate those fx with envelopes that overlay the audio file.
For FL users (and others i guess), you can right click a sample and choose "open in soundforge" (need to set external editor first), so it's a great compliment to your DAW if it supports this. I know Sonar used to manage this with some registry hack or something, so i'm sure there's others.

My one and only problem with SF, is there is no damn volume button. Anywhere!
So if your DAW is open, you will often have to turn down your PC volume, if working with samples that are peaking at 0db.

Oh, and the plugin chain and envelopes are only available in SF pro, but the looping tools are also in audio studio.
IMO the audio studio is still good value for money, as everything is fast and intuitive

And i guess i should add, you can load mp4 files (youtube or whatever :hihi: ), and save the audio as wav

I've been using Soundforge Pro for the last 3 years. and yeah ... it's a good (but not perfect) wave editor.

Soundforge is still good for batch processing.
it also has auto-regioning ( a feature most other audio editors lack), acid tools, and a tonne of effects. however, the days of destructive editing are LONG gone so it seems a much lesser program now than it was 5 years + ago. Plus, it is expensive for what it is.
i used this all the time at one stage, now i hardly touch it.
you can find practically the same feature set in Wavosaur and that's free : ) ( and tiny, only about 2 mb!)

_al_ wrote:My one and only problem with SF, is there is no damn volume button. Anywhere!
So if your DAW is open, you will often have to turn down your PC volume, if working with samples that are peaking at 0db.
i missed this, but, yeah, it's a ridiculous absent control. except! :
Look in View Menu = Hardware Meters - there's a fader next to these which just affects SF output to monitoring. There's also a little speaker+arrow icon button at top of the Hardware Meters window which dims output by -20db
however, again, this is only in Pro version. if not then there is none...

inkwarp wrote: Look in View Menu = Hardware Meters - there's a fader next to these which just affects SF output to monitoring. There's also a little speaker+arrow icon button at top of the Hardware Meters window which dims output by -20db
inkwarp, you are awesome! I would never have clicked that hardware option, ever.
You just saved me a whole world of annoyance. Much respect and thanks to you! :tu: :party:

It's not for music production. It's an audio editor. It supports multichannel sound formats though. As for multi-tracking... I'm unaware of any such feature, but I've been away from new versions. I stopped at v9.

It was excellent. Very feature complete. Sony failed to migrate it to 64-bit. The new owner (Magix?) has apparently finally done so but I don't know if ALL the components were ported to 64-bit.

The 32-bit version on Windows was my standard audio editor and mangler. I found it easy to work with and very capable. The GUI was bog standard Windows, but that's not so bad considering you didn't have to relearn GUI conventions to use it.

If you're on Windows, and IF all of Sound Forge was migrated to 64-bit (or if you can run 32-bit without compromise), I recommend Sound Forge over all other audio editors I've used. But again, it's not a DAW. It's just an editor. It's effects are cool and useful (especially Acoustic Mirror), and it hosts VST plugins for added effects.

The Mac version is a hollow joke. It's missing 80% of the tools that the 32-bit Sound Forge on Windows had. The Windows version of Sound Forge is rather broken in WINE (my installation has no plugins functional, which is a huge loss since many of the effects are plugins, and not VST either).
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”