Is this the best we can hope for?? (Carl Cox show)

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It’s a hard truth that the longer our current music distribution system continues the worse people’s listening skills get. We are at a point where nobody cares about the music, they just want the party. Unfortunately, we have several generations that don’t care about music anymore. It’s all content now. Pumped out 10 a day by software for a specific purpose. It’s content to sell. I went to the Chris Brown show a few years back and my hearing will never be the he same. It was the beginning of the end for my hearing. They still hurt.

With the rise of gang rap and bro steppers... it all became about the loudest bass possible. I was at lollapalooza in Chicago a few years ago and it hit me... it’s either got talent or it’s got edge now.. but never do the two meet. The ones with talent are so whiny and self involved they are unlistenable, and the ones with no talent blast as hard as they can to cover it all up, hoping you won’t notice. It’s a sad state of affairs, and there is a third element going on here. Everyone can make their own music at home now. Dial up a preset, load a prefabbed sample and hit play. No talent necassary so why should they care? They are here for the popularity after all. The world has become such a shallow place I can’t relate. Sorry for the soap box, but I think about this kind of thing quite a bit, and it seemed like appropriate place.

Want to hear a crazy thought that just ran through my head? I just read an article that said by the 2020’s there will be 9-10 Billion (with a B) people on Earth. More people then resources. And, probably a full 1/3 (in my guesstimating) will never have heard analog music of any kind. Think about it. I wonder what percentage of people living today have never heard live analog music?

This has NOTHING TO DO with any analog vs argument. Obviously, I play VA and digital, but I had a reference point from which to grow.

Dasheesh wrote:It’s a hard truth that the longer our current music distribution system continues the worse people’s listening skills get. We are at a point where nobody cares about the music, they just want the party. Unfortunately, we have several generations that don’t care about music anymore. It’s all content now. Pumped out 10 a day by software for a specific purpose. It’s content to sell. I went to the Chris Brown show a few years back and my hearing will never be the he same. It was the beginning of the end for my hearing. They still hurt.

With the rise of gang rap and bro steppers... it all became about the loudest bass possible. I was at lollapalooza in Chicago a few years ago and it hit me... it’s either got talent or it’s got edge now.. but never do the two meet. ones with talent are so whiny and self involved they are unlistenable, and the ones with no talent blast as hard as they can to cover it all up, hoping you won’t notice. It’s a sad state of affairs, and there is a third element going on here. Everyone can make their own music at home now. Dial up a preset, load a prefabbed sample and hit play. No talent necassary so why should they care? They are here for the popularity after all. The world has become such a shallow place I can’t relate. Sorry for the soap box, but I think about this kind of thing quite a bit, and it seemed like appropriate place.
Its the "have an experience ' ideal that seems to be the USP nowadays
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

I’ve learned a LOT of great memorable advice over the years, one of the great quotes that stuck with me...” when you find someone into sound, you’ll find it’s the quiet ones they are fascinated by.”

''A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.''
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Here’s a funny story that is directly related to this thread topic (I know I get sideways sometimes). So my wife comes to me and says... I’m so sick of all this dub this and that... wooo, eoooo, wuuuub, wuuuuubbbb... just a giant bass bin. I want an old school dance party that I can have fun at. So a couple of days later it is announced that Paul Oakenfold is coming to town. Now, let me tell you, I was raised on Detroit and Chicago. Strictly motor city and chi town. Trance was not in my vocabulary. It was a bad word. Never in my life would I imagine a point where I would be favoring the idea of a night out at a trance event with a bunch of half naked sweaty bros rubbing all over me... but that’s where we are at.

Aloysius wrote:''A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.''

You know... I never realized what perverted funny comment that is.

:lol:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

thecontrolcentre wrote:I once opened for Venetian Snares at a bar in Newcastle (The Egypt Cottage). He turned up just as I was finishing my set, went straight on, and blew the horns in the PA with his first tune. It didn't seem to bother the (pogoing) audience.
:band:
That's awesome! :hyper: Did you talk with him after the show?
A well-behaved signature.

There is probably more great music being made now than at any time prior.
If one expects that from areas of music that have to be popular, and that is trendy enough to make the stage at an oh-so-trendy venue, or a CLUB where there is a thrust that isn't primarily about listening one is setting oneself up for disappointment, I suppose.

It's a big old world out there. The world of techno, it's not big picture. The world of so-called alternative rock isn't that wide a world either.

I can stick strictly with youtube and always have something totally fantastic to listen to.

"Dial up a preset, load a prefabbed sample and hit play." So what? Who cares? Yes, that, and a large share of KVR Audio Forum to be honest is pretty annoying. But I don't do that, no one I care a tiny iota for does that, so why worry about it.

I had a next-door nabor that played some shit, shit that was such a drag I could hardly believe my ears it was so unmusical. It truly sucks, I had to spend most of my time somewhere else the asshole was so aggro with it. But that's the thing, move away from it. One can say the world is winding down and getting heavier in the process, it's probably true. Make the best of what's left, there's all sorts of music happening if you open up to the possibilities and quit acting like this tiny little bit of bandwidth is everything.

vurt wrote:i saw carl cox back in the nineties.
when he was actually playing vinyl :o
I do believe the lad hails from our corner of Blighty - Oldham!

cron wrote:I had something this when I saw Blanck Mass at Rich Mix. The worst sound I've ever heard outside of a provincial nightclub. Near-impossible to make certain tracks out, just an ugly wash of reverby lower-mids eating everything else.
That sucks! I saw Blanck Mass play in a festival tent and although it was mids-heavy it certainly wasn't ruined like that. I think a lot of it is down to how much the crew cares...

I went to see Leftfield play live at the Forum in London a few years ago and I thought it was by far the best sound I've ever heard, it was literally jaw dropping. The bass was almost at the point where it could be classed as a weapon, proper trouser flapping, chest thumping and almost insides liquifying but never distorted. Everything else was clean and clear all the way up the frequencies. They were using L-acoustics speakers hired for the event http://www.l-acoustics.com/products-lou ... ms-63.html. Neil himself also mentioned afterwards it was the best sound he had experienced. So it is possible, modern line speakers, subs and amplifiers with beam forming and digital control can easily give a great experience if the artist, sound engineers and venue care about that.

I went to see Nick Cave at an outdoor event a couple of weeks and again I thought the sound was amazing, zero distortion, no muddiness and I was not centered on the array either, it was just great sound everywhere. Nothing beats a simple bass guitar played through a massive sound system that can give clean bass. It takes a great band to make the most of it though, fuzzy PA systems hide a multitude of sins. Recording and playback systems have never been better, it's just up to the artist and the techs to deliver.

Thing is I’m not asking for perfection. I know most places can’t achieve perfection. I’m just asking for listenable. I’m just asking to walk away and be able to still hear something. My wife talk to me, a dog bark, an emergency vehicle siren... you know... anything.

It’s not just venues either... have you been to a theater recently? Movie production has gone the way of the club. In many cases unlistenable and you cannot escape. It makes me stay home in many cases. I just don’t want to deal with the audio track. And what in gawds name is going on with that “real quiet whisper soft character talking that forces you to turn it up loud just to be BLASTED” by a special effect like some horror house of tricks on then listener. I swear it’s done on purpose and with venom by the audio engineer at this point. Shouldn’t it be the opposite?

This has nothing to do with “good music” or “bad music”, it’s people’s listening skills have been depreciated to the point that they associate louder with better.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”